What's going on with Crossmen?

Because jazz in drum corps is boring....especially latin jazz (i.e. Madison)

If anything makes drum corps sound like a HS group, its jazz......not even the HS that goes out to BOA competitions, or any rather.

That's a bit too simplistic a take on it, I think. Jazz can be very exciting in drum corps if done properly. And there's the rub. It's VERY hard to pull off, and that's one of the big reasons why a lot of corps stay away from building an entire show around it programmatically these days. Even the Blue Devils. They pick and choose their spots to go all out with it, and when they do, it's usually some of the best and most exciting stuff on the field.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 Crossmen will be in the 11-16 position by the end of the year.

lets see what the next 2 weeks bring.

better program than

Spirit

Colts

Glassmen

Troopers

Have not seen Academy , PC , yet.

Its all cleaning and performance.

my guess.......Crossmen will be 17th or 18th.....18th if Pacific Crest nails it, which is highly possible......

GB

Other corps who fell on hard times and turned themselves around did it by figuring out what was missing in the 'market' of drum corps styles, deciding on a formula and an approach, then sticking with it. If Crossmen's leadership can figure out who the corps should be and what they should sound and look like, they can start programming toward that model. But, to be honest, it appears that for a number of years they've been flailing about indiscriminately, which makes them look weakened and directionless.

The irony is that their old identity - High Velocity Jazz, as mentioned by Short N Sour - is very much something missing in the "market". It used to be such a staple of the activity, but it's basically nowhere to be found today. A corps that really embraced that identity, and showed that type of repertoire can work today, would be hugely popular with the audience IMO.

The irony is that their old identity - High Velocity Jazz, as mentioned by Short N Sour - is very much something missing in the "market". It used to be such a staple of the activity, but it's basically nowhere to be found today. A corps that really embraced that identity, and showed that type of repertoire can work today, would be hugely popular with the audience IMO.

I think back to the 2000 show...everyone was anticipating it after the dismal 99 offering and, wow, they sure delivered.,

G

I agree, and I *THINK* that's the area they eventually will wind up going into. Maybe not with that exact kind of jazz, but with more of a jazz slant to what they present musically than most other corps do. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Have you been reading any of these threads.

ALTERNATES ???

Most corps still have holes. Cadets have holes, Phantom has holes , Madison has holes.

don't know about 6. but I know they have a tuba hole . and filled the rest. but maybe the new ones were not show ready yet?

I thought they did a very good job last night and will be in the fight for finals .

ALUMNI < They ARE your CROSSMEN . support them in whatever they bring, and help them with the future.

Edited by FanofNight

2010 Crossmen will be in the 11-16 position by the end of the year.

lets see what the next 2 weeks bring.

better program than

Spirit

Colts

Glassmen

Troopers

Have not seen Academy , PC , yet.

Its all cleaning and performance.

i'll sprout wings and fly to the planet Caprica if they're within sniffing distance of finals.

i'd say their program is designed better than 1 of the corps you listed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but aren't their dues/fees the most expensive in all of DCI? One of my students marched there said the "Spring Training/All Days" fee combined with the dues was in the mid-high $3,000 range. If I'm on tour paying that much $$$, I'm looking at every other corps that pays significantly less and scoring significantly higher, and I'm gone the next year. My student is marching somewhere else this year.

I wonder how many Crossmen alumni have jumped ship and marching somewhere else (somewhere else=another corps or Saturday night :cool: ) and paying less $$$?

1990's X-Men were great fun, they need to get it together. Drum wise, Bones used to be a "destination" corps that kids left their "starter" corps for. Now it's clearly the other way around. I think Guidry's arrangements could work if the staff wasn't having to teach it to primarily naive rookies that jump ship.

My 2 cents......

Guidry's arrangements don't work..............and they haven't been.........

GB