Corps Fees

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fees are pretty close in all the corps. The value the kids receive, however, is priceless. Don't want to sound like a commercial but if your son/daughter wants to march in a corps, please do whatever you can to help them. It is one of the best investments of your life. It's also a lot of fun going to shows and watching your kid perform. An amazing experience for them.

For comparative value:

- One week (actually 5 days / 4 nights) at some Caribbean Islands - meals included in package deal / tours extra and water activities (ie: jet ski's) extra (ONE week stay) : Range: $1299.00 to $2499.00 per adult depending on amenities and hotel choice

- One week stay at a ranch in Montana, with Horse and cattle drive and all food included (ONE week stay) : $2199.00 / per person (kids under 12 less)

- Three night stay at the Palmer House in Chicago (no entertainment or meals included) $927.00 ($309.00/per night)

Drum corps is hands down the better value... :worthy: ... even though you sleep on gym floors.

again, missing some of the costs:

$1900 tuition

$400 camp fees

$200 uniform fee

$300 spring training fee

obviously any travel you are doing is added into that.

Don't Travel!!! I have been a HUGE fan of marching in a corps in the area which you are FROM!!!!!!!!! We don't tend to complain while auditioning, but EVERYONE that I dealt with when I was in Administration, at some point in the year would give me a story about not having money at a particular time because of the FLIGHT to the camp, or the TRAIN RIDE for 20 hours.

My simple solution to that would be to MARCH a corps in your area. There are corps in EVERYONE'S neck of the woods. But if you are from California, there really isn't a need to march Bluecoats or Cadets, or Crown. You have MANY WONDERFUL corps on the west coast.

Now granted everyone has their favorites, and I understand because I myself did that when I marched, but I was in a position to do so. But knowing what I know now, its better to not worry about the money factor, and just stay more local. You'll get more out of it. :) Plus can I comment of the CASH flow problems that it would solve for alot of the corps, to be getting paid on TIME or EARLY!!!!!!!

Also think of the additional donations and reduction in fees might potentially happen if the MAJORITY of all members came from a more regionalized area. I have FIRST hand KNOWLEDGE that funding is available for groups that pull membership from a more local demographic. Its just a thought, and I am sure that it will NOT change the desire for people in California wanting to fly to good ole Allentown to march the Cadets. :)

HOWEVER you decide to do it, just figure a way out to get those dues paid!!!!!!!

Don't Travel!!! I have been a HUGE fan of marching in a corps in the area which you are FROM!!!!!!!!! We don't tend to complain while auditioning, but EVERYONE that I dealt with when I was in Administration, at some point in the year would give me a story about not having money at a particular time because of the FLIGHT to the camp, or the TRAIN RIDE for 20 hours.

My simple solution to that would be to MARCH a corps in your area. There are corps in EVERYONE'S neck of the woods. But if you are from California, there really isn't a need to march Bluecoats or Cadets, or Crown. You have MANY WONDERFUL corps on the west coast.

Now granted everyone has their favorites, and I understand because I myself did that when I marched, but I was in a position to do so. But knowing what I know now, its better to not worry about the money factor, and just stay more local. You'll get more out of it. :) Plus can I comment of the CASH flow problems that it would solve for alot of the corps, to be getting paid on TIME or EARLY!!!!!!!

Also think of the additional donations and reduction in fees might potentially happen if the MAJORITY of all members came from a more regionalized area. I have FIRST hand KNOWLEDGE that funding is available for groups that pull membership from a more local demographic. Its just a thought, and I am sure that it will NOT change the desire for people in California wanting to fly to good ole Allentown to march the Cadets. :)

HOWEVER you decide to do it, just figure a way out to get those dues paid!!!!!!!

I agree to a point. But everyone travels some. Even if you drive for a few hours, it costs you $40 in gas to get to camp.

the other big "expense" that I didn't mention is obviously that fact that you are not working over the summer. So instead of earning $2000, you are paying $3000.

I marched with someone from Alaska.

At the time, there were no corps even close to him.

good point. i don't really see the "anchorage igloo regiment" fielding anytime soon.

not really corps in every neck of the woods.

I marched with the corps nearest me....800 miles away. I had to fly to every camp due to time constraints. "Travel" was a necessity for me to march drum corps.