Rockford, IL July 18, 2010

Oh, lucky you!

I just drove 2hrs and 15min home and I'm WIDE awake, thanks to the 19 cups of coffee I guzzled down at the Spring Garden restaurant after the show and replaying "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire about 90 gazillion times on the road.. I'll apologize now if I get silly.

Before I say anything about the show, I have to get this off my chest. I-90 south from Madison is THE SUCK. I sat on that godforsaken stretch of road for FAR TOO LONG today with very little to show for it. In future, I think the long way may work better to get to Rockford (though, it would seem this WAS the long way).. I got there right around 5pm (and yes, I left at noon from what should have been three hours away) and met up with my right hand man and favorite little burrito, El Guapo. You might know him as The INFAMOUS El Guapo.. or you might know him as The ORIGINAL El Guapo.. or you might just know him as Frank. We were rookies together many years and many beers ago and this is why I am allowed to call him my little burrito but you are not.. so don't even try it.

We stopped briefly in the parking lot for a little tailgating action with the Fazzari's.. (mmmm.. meat on a bun.. with mustard. deeeelishus) then headed over the Will Call to pick up our tickets. Now, it's important to note that The Man is always going to keep El Guapo down.. that's why, even though he ordered his ticket nearly a week before I ordered mine, they gave ME the far superior seat. I don't even know how The Man knew he was going to be there. Honestly, I don't. Thank goodness for smartphones, it was like we were sitting right next to each other.. but I didn't have to put up with the green cloud of mystery that appeared sometime just before intermission. (he'll have to tell you about it because I wasn't there).

Now to the corps.

First on were the Kilties.. the show is VASTLY improved over Middleton.. there were a few soloist hiccups and while I LOVE the big sound they're putting out, I think the staging in the beginning of the opener is unfortunate because it makes them sound thin and unsure of themselves.. But after that is over and they all meet up in the entry front, the sound doesn't stop coming. They've cleaned a LOT and the guard has become more confident and are showing signs of being one of the best things about the corps this year! I was talking to a couple of members during INT and one of them said he got a compliment about how much they've improved since middleton. He seemed a little put off by the comment, as if the complimenter were being condescending.. but I tried to point out that the level of improvement we've seen from Kilties this year (and over the past few years) from show to show is far superior to what it was in the early part of the decade.. and it's a pleasant surprise for people to see it -- deep down, fans are pulling for that corps.. and with good reason! They're in REALLY good shape for July and this is only halfway through their season!

There was a long-ish break before the Racine Scouts came on. The people behind me asked about it and I made up some reason like it takes time for the judges to switch from DCA to DCI sheets -- if you're reading this, people who sat behind me, I'm sorry. I totally made that up. I don't know why it was such a long break but that seemed like as good a reason as any.

We could see the scouts in the staging area outside the track and the people around me were all buzzing about the new uniforms for the guard.. then as they were entering the field, I noticed their helmets have returned!! HOORAY!! The Domes are once again Chromed! (though, I was tempted to steal a stapler and go find that trumpet player with the floodwaters! Please, somebody.. for my sanity, take that hem down about 2"!). This is probably the best corps I have ever seen from the Racine Scouts. I haven't been in the midwest for very long (12 years) and certainly haven't witnessed their glory years.. but let me tell you.. that Gershwin book is no cake-walk.. and each time I've seen them, they have surprised me with confidence and some musical moments that even bordered on downright beautiful. The drumline is pretty smokin, too. They are struggling with color guard, but their numbers have doubled and I can only presume they are working the new girls into the show as the majority of the show was just three performers.. Really, if anybody is looking for a little corps to get behind, this is one to consider. They are surprising everybody (including me).

As Pioneer was setting up, a family came to take the seats beside me. I thought they must know someone in one of the corps.. but seriously.. there should be a stadium etiquette primer done at the gate or something. These people were talking at full volume through out the entire show, both Pioneer and SCV. Asking questions, pointing, yacking.. "that's her, right? she's third from the right?" OMG!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!! I finally had to lean over and say, "talk like you're in a theater -- the folks around you are listening to the show, too." That seemed to fix it but MAN.. don't the stink eye looks you're getting from EVERYBODY around you for five or six rows give you a clue?? Pay attention, people!! Be considerate! /soapbox rant

I was very glad to have seats near the top of the stadium for Pioneer's show. I was also very excited to see Jackie Bilder on the podium -- little known fact, Jackie and one other Pioneer member moved the heavy furniture from my 2nd story brick walk up apartment into a moving van in Oak Park two years ago for a dues donation. That chick rules! So, they were setting up all the black screens on the front sideline.. and I know what they're for.. but they bug me. It just seems like too many. I'm probably just ornery but it bugs me. Does it need to stretch endzone to endzone? Anyway.. this show not only LOOKS better from up top, it sounds better, too! Also, the guard has their new uniforms and YES it's another of the approved pioneer colors (a pale peach which is basically.. ORANGE.. of GREEN, BLACK or ORANGE fame) but they look wonderful and MUCH more approriate than the black velvet with green piping we had at Middleton. They are also working some serious drill -- there's a lot of cleaning to do, but if their drive is half what their ambition is, they can do it.. I'd like to see them push this show as far as they can.. but.. they jumped the shark with the big prayer scrim at the end. TOO much! The music stands on it's own.. we don't need the praying hands at the end. Oh.. and one other thing.. I almost wish the narrator didn't say, at the end of his prayer, "we can have a winning corps.." I half expect to hear him say, "we WILL get better every day" and that would still seem a little bit cheeseball.. but the other bit sounds a little.. well.. self-loathing.. like, "we know we've been last place ever since we moved up to Div I.. but we know the sun'll come out.. tomorrow.. betcher.. bottom .. oh.. sorry.. what? Sorry."

Okay.. now, INT was 30 minutes.. and it felt like the FASTEST 30 minutes ever.. but let me say this (man, I have a lot to say tonight)... if you are handicapped, or need serious assistance getting in and out of your seat, I KNOW you really really want to sit up high, but in the interest of YOUR safety, and the safety of everyone sitting up higher than you, PLEASE request handicapped seating! As I stood in a line of about 75 people all waiting for a man with a cane and obvious difficulty walkng to make his way down the stairs with help from a guide, I wondered to myself, "what would happen in the event of lightning or imminent meteor strike? Would we in the top tiers be doomed while this man moves slowly out of the stadium? It's a safety hazard, fo shizzle.. don't be that guy.

Next up was SCV. This was a cold read for me, I hadn't even seen Fan Network videos -- mostly because a friend had told me it was a complete snoozefest and I didn't want to have my first impression tarnished by watching a bad video so I waited. I'm really kind of glad I did because I actually like the show. I am not a huge fan of Bartok on the field -- I just don't think his music has the melodic chops to convey in a way that puts a show right over the top for me, but despite that, I found this show really engaging. I also found it to be VERY similar in style and programming to the SCV shows from 1997 and 1998.. Bernstein and Copland (both of whom, we have seen, have the melodic chops I require.. and both of those shows are among my top 10 all-time as a result). So, while I have taken to calling this show, "Bartok the Modernist," and while I, personally, like it a lot.. I don't see enough of a fresh approach to carry it very far.. for me, it's familiar.. and fondly so.. but not quite as good.. and I think the guard hasn't fully committed to the modern style they're portraying. One of the things about the 97/98 guards.. they were FULLY committed to that fosse-esque, modern ballet style of movement.. it wasn't for everyone.. not everybody liked it.. but there was no denying that every single one of them were in it 100%. I didn't get that from the guard tonight (and granted, it was a first read so I could just be blowing hot air -- also very likely in any case as I am known to do just that). It was also good to see some old friends. :)

Last time I saw Cadets, they were playing a completely different show. Oh, and for the record, it was about three weeks ago. A guy I know, sitting behind me didn't like it -- saying it was "too gimmicky" (a complaint I had about Cadets in 2000 which prevented me from ever really buying into it).. but in all honesty, this show makes me smile from start to finish... and with all the changes they've made.. and how clean and polished they are already, I have to admit from the bottom of my Cavie Green Heart that I would not be completely heartbroken if this show were crowned champion next month. And in the section before the closer, they do this revolving folding box/line thing that.. OMG.. when that's clean I swear I'm going to immaculately conceive, instantly gestate, give birth and throw my baby at them on the spot. That thing is gonna be SICK.

Last up for the night was the hometown kids, Phantom Regiment. Now, I was watching Fan Network last night just before the lightning cleared them off the field.. so, when I saw the guard setting up out there alone I thought to my self.. "self.. something is different here.." and it was funny watching the prairie dogs popping up when the buicks opened up from under the stands.. I know not everybody is gonna love it.. but I think I like how the sonority of the horns resonated from under the bleachers.. In fact, I thought the opening of the show.. and the ending.. were my favorite parts.. though there were some moments in the show that I thought were very nice, as well.. (didn't quite understand the Captain Kirk soloist, though.. somebody later explained to me he's like the sun.. and they are going into the light.. but it still doesn't connect for me). I thought the show was very nice.. a little samey-samey for me.. kind of one emotional volume level from start to finish.. a little cautious.. but nice to watch and listen to.. feels kind of middle of the pack to me.. nothing extraordinary stand out.. but I will say, I was fairly certain SCV had it over them tonight and was surprised when the scores were called.. though I wasn't far off..

In all I thought this show was fantastic from top to bottom. There are no hot-dog corps for me this year (so far) and the weather was perfect.. breezy, few bugs, not too humid.. not too hot.. just right.

HEY! Let's do it again next year!

Oh and a parting note -- when leaving the show on a Sunday night, wondering "where can I grab a bite this late?" -- Seriously.. Spring Garden restaurant on Riverside on the way out of town.. The food was fast and delicious -- and we discovered a dish filled with bites of heaven called Mac & Cheese Wedges. Oh. My. God. I am deconstructing the recipe right now in hopes of recreating it.. They're open 24hrs.. ask for Karla -- you won't be sorry!!

That's it! My next shows will be working shows so no more reviews for me.. enjoy the rest of the season!

Stef

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sitting here laughing - 'cause I LOVE how you review like you're sitting right in front of me. Engaging and spot on. And just throwing it out there - SCV guard actually took first last night. :) Hope you can review Championship week at some point - sure to be another doozy of a tale!

Stef,

Great job as usual. I was not there last night but my better half was. Since I haven't seen a show yet there seems to be something wrong with seeing a show without my Green Team first. Plus, someone had to stay home with the little one. Added, my wife is a fan of The Maroon Team. Me, well, not so much but she loved their show as she always does. I'll form my own opinion since she 98% of the time focuses on the the guard being a former guard gal herself.

Yep 90 SUCKs. On it a lot now that my job takes me up into Cheeseland. Call you soon when I am up there!

See you in Indy!!

Edited by dc oldtimer

Thanks for the kind words, all! I was a little road punchy when I got home last night ... but those of you who know me know that's just kind of how I am :)

@Mav, I'm sure I'll have tales to tell though not many of anything other than standing on the track and fixing back-seams or sewing patches on.. Hoping to get a chance to sneak into the stands to watch SAC and my little burrito do some damage on Friday (If I get back in time)..

@Mitch, Where in WI does work take you? I live closer to 41 which would have been FAR less frustrating, even if there had been an overturned semi with it's cargo of live penguins running free on the roadway.. DO call when you're up here, though. My new job starts after finals week and as of September, I'll be telecommuting! If you need my #, friend me on FB (if you haven't already) and I'll get it to you. Wish I'd known Kyra was going to be there, I would have invited her to join us afterwards! and isn't that baby old enough yet to come to a show? :) SURE SHE IS!!

Also, I wanted to add something to my review -- I love, love LOVED Cadets guard! It surprises me that anyone beat them last night. I do have one tiny suggestion, however. They need to have someone old-school go in there and beat angles into them. They were mushy and too fluid in the beginning section. They need to be more crisp and precise in their flag work and body movements. If they get that little detail down, they'll be the guard to beat.

Stef

Thanks for the great review and the kind words Stef! I sure wish I could have bumped into you and the Guapmeister last night. Have a great rest-of-the-summer!

Stef,

If I am the unnamed member of the Kilties you referred to regarding the comment we received from a spectator about our improvement from Middleton to last night, than we had a miscommunication. Given your response to it last night I should have guessed we werent on the same page. Obviously if someone comes up to you and says you have improved dramatically, that is a cause for happiness. We have worked pretty hard since Middleton and I think its paying dividends. Thanks for the nice comments.

and isn't that baby old enough yet to come to a show? :) SURE SHE IS!!

Yes she is BUT, trust, me no one would want the cute little thing in the stands sitting next to them. She is a VERY active, vibrant 2 1/2 year old (just like her dad :worthy: ) and wants to talk to everyone around her. She has a habit of striking up conversations during the quietist parts of shows. We are little tired of those dirty looks that drum corps fans are so famous for. And add my wife, (born in Queens NY) is not one to hold back her feelings when someone looks at our daughter even just a tad sideways..... well, it ain't pretty.

Indy will be fine because the wife and I can pass off the little one between us and we would still get to see almost every corps.

I do get to your neck of the woods so I'll keep in touch.

Great review - I've saw SCV live in Denver and looking forward to seeing SCV & PR in Texas. Your thoughts on SCV were similar to mine. All I heard were comments on how boring the show was but have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the Bartok show and especially the 5th movement. I know I'm partial but have to say SCV & Blue Knights are my favorite so far this year.

:worthy:

Edited by amadorj