Penalties

Why not go back to penalizing corps for running past their alloted show time.......but wait, when DOES each show START????

I think there needs to be more discussion on the fancy 'warm-ups' that some corps are doing now.

This isn't ambiguous at all. The judging starts as soon as the announcer stops talking.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't ambiguous at all. The judging starts as soon as the announcer stops talking.

BUT, when does the announcer START talking?

Not sure how many shows you have been to, but unless the announcer has seen the shows previously, he/she has no idea when to start the introductions........Pioneer's show for one. (I knew you would ask for an example )

One time the announcer started too soon, while at the Rockford show I believe the announcer waited too long.

...and by the way, I love Pio's show this year :laughing:

Word from the Blue Knights is that they were not late and they were not told they were late. They were told the intermission was extended so they went on when they were told to go on. Don't know anything beyond that.

BUT, when does the announcer START talking?

Not sure how many shows you have been to, but unless the announcer has seen the shows previously, he/she has no idea when to start the introductions........Pioneer's show for one. (I knew you would ask for an example )

One time the announcer started too soon, while at the Rockford show I believe the announcer waited too long.

...and by the way, I love Pio's show this year :laughing:

Unless I'm mistaken, there is supposed to be a staff member or member of the corps that cues the announcer as when to start.

Edited by skajerk

Are you serious??? lol Is this thread a serious question or is it sarcasm?

What I want to know is, why does anyone give a ####???! Did it hurt them? No. Do they not get to march the rest of the season? No. So, penalty or not, who cares?? I wouldn't care of it was a 100pt penalty as it is meaningless in the grand scheme.

And no, no need for change. The penalty is what it is and each corps should be responsible for their actions and for arriving at the show on time. Responsibility falls to whomever bears the responsibility...not trying to find someone else to blame it on. The penalty os there for a reason and should be enforced.

And once again, IT MEANS NOTHING!!

When regional performance spots are determined by scoreing averages, I'd say taking an 8 point hit matters, which may be why they decided not to assess it after all. edit: or not, after reading the above posts.

Edited by BozzlyB

Word from the Blue Knights is that they were not late and they were not told they were late. They were told the intermission was extended so they went on when they were told to go on. Don't know anything beyond that.

INT should have gotten the penalty for going over their allotted time.

To address a few of the issues listed above -

At the 2-minute mark of the corps entering the field, the announcer is supposed to announce, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome to the field, from (insert hometown here), (insert corps name here).

Then, at the 30-second mark (I believe), the announcer asks if the corps is ready - at which point, the d.m. salutes and the announcer says, "presenting their show, 'blah, blah, blah,' Drum Corps International is proud to present," etc.

Now, because pre-shows seem to have different timing so that they can have maximum impact, a staff member usually prompts the announcer so that everything times to the corps' actual beginning, which opens up the problem of actual timed judging. I wish everything would be consistent...but, because the pre-show has now taken on a much more integrated part of the overall design, this concept has pretty much gone the way of the 2-valve bugle.

As for penalties assessed because a corps is late - shows are scheduled to the minute so that they can have ample time for the entire competition, but also not start so early that fans can't be there in-time for the start. In addition, noise ordinances are much more strict these days, with many cities having curfews that begin as early as 10pm. Because of this, if a corps is late, it really messes with the overall timing and puts the show sponsors in jeopardy of violating city law and receiving their own penalty/fine.

Yes, it sucks that a corps receives a penalty for being late, but it is a rule that was voted on by the Board of Directors. Regardless of the reason for being late, the penalty needs to be enforced across the board.

I'm actually going to agree with this. The members have zero control over when they are meant to perform and when they actually perform. It's not like a bunch of Blue Knights were driving the bus around town going "Holy crap we're late!" The staff gets them there and is told what time to be there. The members perform their show and get the score. There's no reason to penalize the members for something the staff did.

aren't all penalties the staff's fault?

over time? staff's fault

under time? staff's fault

illegal instrument? staff's fault

late to the gate? staff's fault

etc...

and I'm pretty sure a corps would rather take a meaningless (in the big scheme of things) point penalty than a financial penalty.

financial penalties were suggested on her earlier this season in a response to unfinished shows, and most people seemed against it.

So its ok to assess a penalty for starting late but its still ok to stop your show early because it isn't finished ( penalty free ). Thats OK?