Penalties

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just DCP...GOP speechwriters and FOX News come to mind...

Seems that the cartoon would apply right now. But I guess you don't have that virus since you clicked "post comment". :laughing:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Seems that the cartoon would apply right now. But I guess you don't have that virus since you clicked "post comment". :laughing:

There's a photo of me on color guard planet as a timing and penalty judge from waaayyy back when. One of these days I'll post it here :thumbup:

There's a photo of me on color guard planet as a timing and penalty judge from waaayyy back when. One of these days I'll post it here :thumbup:

DO IT!!! :laughing:

DO IT!!! :laughing:

ya gotta know i'm shy...if i'm in a mood i'll post it; got 800+ photos in my bucket. Good grief! in the meantime, keep looking for it on color guard planet :-)

Two things come to mind:

1) VK had some transportation problems getting to the Glendale, AZ, show in 1995. The show promoter allowed them to go on last, following BD and SCV. I don't recall a penalty being issued.

2) Renegades had some travel-related problems getting to the West Covina show in 2003. They contacted me, I talked to our staff and members, and we swapped start times after consulting with the show promoter. There was no penalty issued.

Really, the only time I can see a penalty being an issue is if were to drop a corps from first place at finals. At a regular season show in Kansas City (which was the source of this thread), it's really a non-starter.

That said, it's important to have a set of rules defining what can and can't be done in competition. look how much time we spend debating each and every rule change proposed, passed or failed, every year. As long as the rules, and the penalty for rules violations, are equally applied and enforced as voted on by the DCI Board of Directors, I have no problem with it.

Evidently there is an appeals process and the promoter and DCI's Show Coordinator (in this case Brandt Crocker, who was also the T&P judge) were convinced that BK had a legitimate reason and ruled in their favor. The penalty was rescinded and their original score was reinstated. At least that's my theory.

Garry in Vegas

Yes, it sucks that a corps receives a penalty for being late, but it is a rule that was voted on by the Board of Directors. Regardless of the reason for being late, the penalty needs to be enforced across the board.

Agreed.

8.5.2 of the DCI Contest Rules is very clear on assessing 1/2 point for each 1.5 minutes of lateness for a corps failing to report at the stipulated time.

The rule does not permit any options or other forms of penalty (e.g. financial).

It is what it is and it is because the rules committee and member corps wrote the rules.

Not really directed anywhere. Just kind of a statement overall. The corps get penalized for starting late but recieve no penaltie when their show isn't completely done, and they stop and blow. Yet, none of those corps didn't have their NONJUDGED intro down pat..... just saying. Priorities.

Sorry, but this is a poor argument.

No shows this season have missed the minimum time required to avoid a penalty. You do know what that minimum time is right? 8.5 minutes.

The point is both are rules and both are enforced.

Are you really suggesting we should prioritize enforcement of rules?

Tonight let's allow woodwinds cause the contest director loves them. :blink:

Edited by Joe Salvatore