Drum Corps and P90X

A friend and I were at the gym the other day, and we were talking about drum corps. We both agreed that we wished we had creatine and protein powder when we were marching. You get a ton of great exercise on tour, but there just isn't enough food (protein) involved to really build a ton of muscle. With those two supplements, we could have come out of the season looking a lot better than just "really skinny", which is how I looked by finals.

That got me thinking about actually doing a fitness program, like P90X, over the summer. Many corps spend an hour or two per morning doing some sort of physical conditioning. Bluecoats even have a very talented personal trainer on their staff this year, and I'd venture to guess that that's helped them this season with their amazing scores and placements. So what would happen if a corps actually did P90X while on tour? Spend an hour a day doing a series of workouts designed to get you ripped. Then throw in some protein powder so members can actually build muscle, and boom, by the end of the season you'd have an entire corps of completely ripped members. Aside from the obvious benefits of fitness, they'd look and feel better too, which would increase confidence and that confidence would transfer to the show.

What are your thoughts?

Speaking about weight stuff I'd like to mention what I've read concerning the US military. I'd like to stretch this point to include drum corps...I've read many articles in the media over the last couple years about the US military increasing their weight limits and one actually saying:

"The waistlines of America's youth are expanding, shrinking the pool of those eligible to join the US military."

Though this is true, I still think the youth are far more in shape today than let's say when I marched in the early 90's or even before that. But I don't have any statistics to prove one way or another. It is obviously a more athletic endeavor these days, so it only makes sense to spend an equal amount of effort towards personal improvement and body conditioning. I think it may be controversial to "use powders" and stuff like that without perhaps waivers from the parents IMO.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My view on P90X is that it's a good program if you're already in fairly good shape, work out fairly regularly and wanna give your workouts a real kick in the pants.

If you're out of shape and/or not used to strenuously exercising, it WILL kick your ###.

If you want more protein, there's a certain snack that's available at every meal in unlimited supply...

Better get waivers for eating eggs or tuna too

I guess food poisoning is another matter... Don't forget about allergies to nuts and whatever else too...

For building muscle mass I agree. P90X is fine for losing body fat, but not really gaining muscle.

However I doubt many corps have room for a power cage on tour :laughing:

Yeah, it's not really practical.

Honestly, I think any time spent on some extra-curricular training program would be time better spent at rest.

Now pre-season is another matter entirely. Imagine a corps at move-in whose members could all squat at least their own body weight. :thumbup:

I'm am a fatty now....so take this for what its worth, since I know NOTHING about proper diet and exercise.

I am also a HUGE football fan. The difference I have seen in the past 15 years with high school football teams is that the more successful teams are in the weight room ALL YEAR ROUND! I remember we got a new S&C coach when I was in HS who introduced the team to plyometrics. I didn't know what those were, but I heard the players complaining non-stop. When they added this component to the regular weight training regimen, we saw marked improvement.....

They lost 2 games my sophomore year in HS, and didn't lose again til I was in college.

I think drumcorps would be better off if they ventured away from the standard "Stretch and run" with occasional situps and pushups and developed a better morning exercise program. Perhaps pack a few medicine balls into the truck and go from there. I dunno.