Federal Judge says Cheerleading Not a Sport

I don't like this definition. I don't see how you can have a definition of sport that excludes things like track and field

True, it is not a perfect definition. I would not define track and field as a sport. I would call it an athletic competition. To me it is no less valid an activity just because it is not a sport. The athletes train just as hard regarless. The problem is the emphasis we place on the word sport. It also is not really a big issue with me. I don't go around correcting people if they call drum corps or gymnastics a sport (except when dicussing if it is or is not). these are just my thoughts on the matter.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of this thread is misleading. From what I read of the judge's ruling, the problem wasn't with the activity of cheerleading itself. Rather, the problem was that the sport was insufficiently organized to provide a true varsity team, and therefore could not qualify toward Title IX. The judge even allowed that he could see a time when cheerleading would be a full varsity sport, but it was not there yet. Here's the money quote:

"Competitive cheer may, some time in the future, qualify as a sport under Title IX," Underhill wrote. "Today, however, the activity is still too underdeveloped and disorganized to be treated as offering genuine varsity athletic participation opportunities for students."

So really, the judge ruled that the activity of cheerleading is indeed a sport, just one in need of some organization. Sounds to me like the activity of drum corps certainly qualifies as a sport, as well.

The title of this thread is misleading. From what I read of the judge's ruling, the problem wasn't with the activity of cheerleading itself. Rather, the problem was that the sport was insufficiently organized to provide a true varsity team, and therefore could not qualify toward Title IX. The judge even allowed that he could see a time when cheerleading would be a full varsity sport, but it was not there yet. Here's the money quote:

So really, the judge ruled that the activity of cheerleading is indeed a sport, just one in need of some organization. Sounds to me like the activity of drum corps certainly qualifies as a sport, as well.

Interesting. Makes you wonder if the NCAA put its organization behind it if cheerleading could ultimately become an NCAA sport, and with that level of organization qualify under title ix. A LOT of schools would love to take advantage of that

Subjective judging

This is probably the best argument.... but you have:

Gymnastics, Figure Skating, Diving, Skiiing (some types), Snowboarding...

all of which are considered sports and all have subjective judging.

All I'm saying is that that was probably one tough call for that judge. I mean, cut the hot girls in the tiny shorts or cut the other hot girls in the tiny skirts. Rough day for that guy, for sure. :laughing:

:thumbup:

Id go with the volleyball girls in that case, i think.

Just sayin, that's a load of crap, the federal judge has no place to determine that, but rather the college sports associations, anyways I have quite a few friends at my school who are competative cheer leaders (dated a few myself :laughing: ) and I have to quite disagree. However you can't say DCI isnt a sport in my view, it's a sin to do so

This is probably the best argument.... but you have:

Gymnastics, Figure Skating, Diving, Skiiing (some types), Snowboarding...

all of which are considered sports and all have subjective judging.

then boxing (when there isn't a ko) and MMA (when there isn't a ko) aren't sports, either. If either went strictly on touches/punches, they would be sports, but when using the 10 point/round system, it's not a sport.

I remember a time when Drum Corps was a MUSICAL activity and members were MARCHING MUSICIANS.

All this talk of athletes and althletic activity shows just how times have changed!

FWIW, I still cling to the belief that Drum Corps is a music and marching spectacular, not a sport.

I remember a time when Drum Corps was a MUSICAL activity and members were MARCHING MUSICIANS.

All this talk of athletes and althletic activity shows just how times have changed!

FWIW, I still cling to the belief that Drum Corps is a music and marching spectacular, not a sport.

It's not an "either-or". It can be both (and I believe that it is).