Houston review, night 2

Agree with 99% of the review. The only thing I differ on is I think BDs show is a little more accessible this year than it was for the last couple of years. On FN I get a little more from their show each time I watch.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually going to agree with some of the BD stuff said above here. I do think that their hornline is really talented, and they're sure showing it, but I just don't find a reason why they're scoring the way they do. I mean, some of the visual stuff is cool, I mean really cool, but a lot of the stuff just doesn't make any sense. I really don't see the demand here. They stand still a lot, and there are no marching transitions in this show. None. Every transition between piece and it seems almost between sets is done by walking, or running, or skipping????? Why are they skipping in the opener? Someone please explain this one to me. And I saw tons of visual dirt at the Houston show. And they're pulling 9s in the vis. captions? I'm lost here. And I heard them repeat music from one of their past shows..... Sneaky, but not that cool.....

And before I get torched on here for hating the show, I really wish I could like this show. I'm a huge Kenton fan, and I am a BD fan, when they produce a show that can make me stand up and cheer for them. Yeah, I get it, they're being edgy and different, but where's the line between edgy and different and just plain weird? And where does audience connection fit into this equation? Please guys, don't hate me for this. I came to watching the show again with an open mind, but I still just can't get into it. Sorry. I really hope that for once, BD will put the audience more into their plan than just what show will boost the score up.

I thought the same thing about the visual transitions, and I agree nearly every musical moment with a ton of notes for the brass is standing still ( couldnt tell if body was there or not on hi cam).

Here is I think where they have mastered the system....density isn't rewarded in book numbers. show enough to prove you have mastered the skill, then move on. they show enough of enough different things, and do them all well, so hence the numbers. running around like crazy people no longer equals demand..variety of skills displayed does.

I'm actually going to agree with some of the BD stuff said above here. I do think that their hornline is really talented, and they're sure showing it, but I just don't find a reason why they're scoring the way they do. I mean, some of the visual stuff is cool, I mean really cool, but a lot of the stuff just doesn't make any sense. I really don't see the demand here. They stand still a lot, and there are no marching transitions in this show. None. Every transition between piece and it seems almost between sets is done by walking, or running, or skipping????? Why are they skipping in the opener? Someone please explain this one to me. And I saw tons of visual dirt at the Houston show. And they're pulling 9s in the vis. captions? I'm lost here. And I heard them repeat music from one of their past shows..... Sneaky, but not that cool.....

And before I get torched on here for hating the show, I really wish I could like this show. I'm a huge Kenton fan, and I am a BD fan, when they produce a show that can make me stand up and cheer for them. Yeah, I get it, they're being edgy and different, but where's the line between edgy and different and just plain weird? And where does audience connection fit into this equation? Please guys, don't hate me for this. I came to watching the show again with an open mind, but I still just can't get into it. Sorry. I really hope that for once, BD will put the audience more into their plan than just what show will boost the score up.

Bone, I know you're trying to rescue Galen's rant (disguised as a review) here...and I will admit that your contribution is actually more understandable, but you are trying to turn scoring into a series of musical notes and visual movements. Like it's a tally of comparitive functions. If that was the case, we should put all corps on a treadmill and make them march the same music. That's the problem with so many of BD's criticisms...critics see easily understood formations of other corps (kaliedoscopic, etc) and think "well that looks hard" and then they see BD's complex waterfall of intricate maneuvers which are orchestrated chaos and they say, "well that isn't as visually recognizable so it must be easier". Not true. As any singer will tell you, it is infinitely harder to purposefully sing out of tune than the natural condition of tuned. Doing it in a way that is chaotic and exactly the same each night is (I'm certain) utterly wowing the judges...who get it. If Galen and the others would put their obvious prejudice aside and look/listen they might start to understand why this BD 2010 design will be referred to by DC designers for years to come.

Having said that, such reviews will continue because they're angry BD's winning, if they were in 9th place there wouldn't be a peep on DCP.

Bone, I know you're trying to rescue Galen's rant (disguised as a review) here...and I will admit that your contribution is actually more understandable, but you are trying to turn scoring into a series of musical notes and visual movements. Like it's a tally of comparitive functions. If that was the case, we should put all corps on a treadmill and make them march the same music. That's the problem with so many of BD's criticisms...critics see easily understood formations of other corps (kaliedoscopic, etc) and think "well that looks hard" and then they see BD's complex waterfall of intricate maneuvers which are orchestrated chaos and they say, "well that isn't as visually recognizable so it must be easier". Not true. As any singer will tell you, it is infinitely harder to purposefully sing out of tune than the natural condition of tuned. Doing it in a way that is chaotic and exactly the same each night is (I'm certain) utterly wowing the judges...who get it. If Galen and the others would put their obvious prejudice aside and look/listen they might start to understand why this BD 2010 design will be referred to by DC designers for years to come.

Having said that, such reviews will continue because they're angry BD's winning, if they were in 9th place there wouldn't be a peep on DCP.

how did i know you would chime in here? lol

Hey I love BD as much as the next guy, heck...thy are my 2nd favorite corps as a fan (Behind Regiment), but the rift this year and the "Blue" Kool-Aid drinking is at an all time high. Cant we agree that not all people are going to like BD? Just like Cadets '05, some like it some dont. I just cant wrap my brain around this show, I will go as far as to say I dont like it. Will it win, time will tell, never forget '95 though.z

Can someone explain the attacks on the skipping? They don't really bother me?

At least not any more than, say, falling to the ground in a row and doing jazz legs.

:thumbdown:

Don't say things like that. It scares them...

BD: . Very telling sign that they got little more than golf claps after they were finished.

I mentioned yesterday on the Houston show thread the golf clap applause that the Blue Devils got from the Texas audience from watching it on Fan Network. Immediately a few other fans that also were not in attendance took issue with that, and said that was nonsense, and another poster said he was positive that the BD got a great hand.

Since you were actually there in attendance, thanks for confirming what most of us saw and heard via the live broadcast... that the Blue Devils performance, and particularly after they completed their final notes in an encore performance in that stadium, received at best...... " little more than golf claps ". Ironically, ( and I don't know you from a hole in the wall ) the " golf clap " audience response was the very phrase I likewise used to describe the audience reaction when BD was finished in performance.

Edited by BRASSO

Can someone explain the attacks on the skipping? They don't really bother me?

At least not any more than, say, falling to the ground in a row and doing jazz legs.

:thumbdown:

Trust me, I have just as much of a problem with Crown's body stuff, especially in Danzon No. 2. The difference to me is that when they do most of their body stuff, they do while playing. Just a thought, most of BD's body stuff that I saw them doing wasn't when they were playing. The skipping, the transitions in scene, the finger snapping, none of it was while playing. I will give them credit for the body movement during the huge loud impact in their second or third movement, that part is really cool, and I really, really like it, but the rest of the stuff just seems cheesy so they don't need to march all the time....?

And if someone would explain the point of the skipping to me, I wouldn't have a problem. It's because it seems so pointless and out of place that I have a problem with it.

I know man, thank you for being nice about this instead of just attacking, I respect that, but I really don't know if this show will be the revolutionary hallmark that designers look to. I am really trying as hard as I can to get into this show, and I would have no problems with BD winning, I kind of see it as inevitable, but this show just bugs me. I do like most of the music, but most of the visual stuff just seems added in for the sake of points, not for the sake of the show.

And I really thought that scoring was a tally of musical notes and visual movements? When did that change? When did we switch the DCI sheets with the WGI sheets? And for the record, I think that this year's BD production is much, much harder than last year's.