Houston review, night 2

It sounds to me like BD has put Blast on the field and the judges like it. What more can you say? If that were Blue Stars, trust me, they wouldn't be getting the props BD is.

Look, just because someone can execute/sell the heck out of a piece of crap show, regardless of who it is, does not mean the show stinks any less.

ampssuck

RM

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And before I get torched on here for hating the show, I really wish I could like this show. I'm a huge Kenton fan, and I am a BD fan, when they produce a show that can make me stand up and cheer for them. Yeah, I get it, they're being edgy and different, but where's the line between edgy and different and just plain weird? And where does audience connection fit into this equation? Please guys, don't hate me for this. I came to watching the show again with an open mind, but I still just can't get into it. Sorry.

I've been a Blue Devils fan since the first time I saw them in 1973..... and I gotta be honest, I had similar feelings last year about BD's show.

I have not seen them yet this year... so I, too, will go in with an open mind when I do see them. But they lost me a bit last year.

It sounds to me like BD has put Blast on the field and the judges like it. What more can you say? If that were Blue Stars, trust me, they wouldn't be getting the props BD is.

Look, just because someone can execute/sell the heck out of a piece of crap show, regardless of who it is, does not mean the show stinks any less.

ampssuck

RM

They have NOT put "blast" on the field...far from it...sure, the mirrors are there, but this drum corps show is very traditional, its just not "accessible" to some, and they can post their dismay all over the place and make it much more pronounced than it really is.

G

They have NOT put "blast" on the field...far from it...sure, the mirrors are there, but this drum corps show is very traditional, its just not "accessible" to some, and they can post their dismay all over the place and make it much more pronounced than it really is.

G

Might be time for a "has BD put Blast on the field" poll. If they aren't marching much, if they aren't playing much, well, I guess you're right Blast certainly does play.

But, I could be wrong.

Might be time for a "has BD put Blast on the field" poll. If they aren't marching much, if they aren't playing much, well, I guess you're right Blast certainly does play.

But, I could be wrong.

This all is obviously very painful for you....39 consecutive wins and all! Sorry..cope! lOl While you're at it do another poll, "how many BD trolls does it take to fill one useful second of what BD does every performance?" Answer: All of them!

Edited by Plan9

But, I could be wrong.

Not sure what makes you think they don't play or march much, unless it's just a pure emotional response. It's a very difficult horn book and given the variety of responsibilities on the field from a front to back, prop use, quick tempos, layers of music and demand, it's really the complete opposite of your assessment.

I feel like people assume it can't be hard because they perform so well, but some of the stuff they are doing could simply not be pulled off by other corps. Try looking closer at some of the staging and the demands the brass have playing in time, its off the charts and stuff that other corps won't even try to put on the field. Velocity and fast drill is so old school and does not make the "demand" in its current form anymore or less than what BD is doing. Crown has one spot in their show like this and its the worst phasing moment of their entire production. It's hard what they are doing, even if it doesn't fit your "idea" of hard..

It's much more than just marching and playing and it's hard to relate to if your basis of DCI is still based on only those two aspects. The world has changed and BD has changed with it. It's not their fault others haven't been smart enough to come along yet..

Don't diss the corps because you have trouble accepting the activity today. They play a lot, and move a lot with great visual demand and complexity. Take a closer look without the half empty glass next time and you might be surprised. Blast would never had the stones to try and pull off what BD is doing this year.

Edited by trumpetcam

...Didn't 'Blast' simply put Star of Indiana on the Broadway stage?

Given the 'Star' nostalgia many drum corps fans all share, if BD had indeed put 'Blast' on the field, I bet a lot more people would be into it....

I think "Blast! on the field" is an unfair characterization. Make no mistake ($1 to Obama), those guys (and gals) are moving.

Edited by JayM

This all is obviously very painful for you....39 consecutive wins and all! Sorry..cope! lOl While you're at it do another poll, "how many BD trolls does it take to fill one useful second of what BD does every performance?" Answer: All of them!

Its alright, "roc..." is still bitter BD stole his title...in 1979 :tongue:

G

But, I could be wrong.

Dude, you know you can start a "Do you think BD busses aim for deer while heading to their next show site" poll on DCP and the results would be one sided......c'mon.

G