I have a question...well...several questions, really.

Have you ever had a sudden inspiration that compelled you to think, "I have to do this." ? Well, I woke up a few days ago with this crazy idea that I wanted to start a drum corps. A real one, not a fantasy corps like I have right now.

I might be in over my head, but before I know that for sure, I need to know what I'd be getting myself into. So, I thought I'd ask all of you a few questions.

First off, what do I need? I need instruments (obviously), some kind of uniform, and a staff. I'd imagine that there is a lot more to it than that, but I don't have a clue what it is.

With that, how do I get this stuff? More importantly, how does it get paid for? I'm actually sitting on an idea for uniforms that will cost roughly $130 a piece, which is a lot better than most uniforms.

Even though $130 is cheap for a uniform, but that's still a lot of money. On top of that, I'm going to need instruments. Instruments are expensive, and I don't know how existing drum corps get a hold of them. Do they rent them? How does it work? How much does it cost?

Then, there's the issue of transportation. What do other corps do, and how much is that going to cost?

Am I missing anything?

I think one of the 1st things that needs to happen is to set up your 501c. But you have to look at it as a journey. The idea that's in your head won't happen for a few years down the road. Lots of up front work.

The Roselle Park Conquistadors started as a fantasy corps and then progress to a REAL drum corps. Try talking to their director Harry (Skylinersop16) and asking him what he went through. Or maybe he'll see this and chime in.