• Guardsmen
    • 27th Lancers
    • North Star
    • Sky Ryders
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Star of Indiana
    • Dutchboy
    • Magic

I did see '79 Guardsmen on Youtube just now and you are right. Maynard commented, "The burn was on!" I think Greensleeves is one of those classic ending pieces IMO.

I've said it before,.................give 79 Guardsmen a listen,.................you will fall in love, I promise!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I'm not perfect anymore since I turned 50 LOL

Turning 50 in March. Trust me, I understand.

I've said it before,.................give 79 Guardsmen a listen,.................you will fall in love, I promise!

As much as I disliked the Guardsmen (except a few that I dated :) ) I have to agree with you. That hornline in 79 was freakin' awesome.

I lived in Belleville IL 1995-1999 (stationed at Scott AFB on other side of the corn field). Which is why I voted for Black Knights.

That town (and maybe more like it, but this one I am familiar with) needed a corps like Black Knights - a national contender - as well as the 14 other corps that were within a 35 mile radius (5 all-girl). There was a corps show every weekend in the 60's and early 70's. All the local kids marched somewhere. Kept them 'off the streets....'

When there, I tried to find out where the 'hardware (v/r bugles, drums, helmets, etc.)' went but no-one seemed to know - at least for an outsider like me! But all the locals (of a similar vintage) seemed to have marched somewhere (Blk. Knts. or another local corps), or had a sibling or other relative that had.

I wish there was a way to bring that kind of local commitment/pride back to Drum Corps

Wow..... tough choices in this poll.

My top choice was the Bridgemen.

When the Bayonne Bridgemen version of the B'men made their debut in 1976 (the corps' earlier incarnation was as the St. Andrews Bridgemen, with "traditional" cadet jackets and shakos), they turned the entire activity on its collective ear.... and drum corps has not been the same since those yellow-coated Bridgemen left the competitive scene.

Thank God we now get to enjoy them as an alumni corps.

Gary, you are on the money about the 1979 Guardsmen... what an exceptional horn line they had that year, and a very cool show.

Close one here for me gotta go with Suncoast with honorable mentions to Bridgemen and Freelancers.

I vote for all the corps on the list and then some, but in the spirit of this thread I had to vote for Bridgemen. I think I miss them the most.

We miss you too, come see the Bridgemen at DCI East!

Full corps schedule at www.bridgemen.com

Since I married a Suncoaster, my answer is obvious. But a CLOSE second was 27th

Aw Mitch.....we were a "close second" in 1980. We should win this one :)

Aw Mitch.....we were a "close second" in 1980. We should win this one :)

Why? You didn't win in 1980. BD were the clear winners. You need to look t the sheets before you declare yourselves the "winners" of anything.

Exactly what makes you feel as though you should 'win' this one? I'm really asking, I'd really like to know.

/World Class board poster :tongue: