2nd year for the synth....

Also, just a note with regards to Teal's guitar and bass guitar. We're playing Dream Theater and Coheed & Cambria. If you aren't familiar with our source material (which I believe we are remarkably faithful too...probably more than any corps on the road is to theirs) I strongly urge a trip to iTunes. It's great stuff, and will lead to greater insight on where and how we're using our electronics. You'll also discover some great music along the way, much like us old guys did when listening to the great music played by corps in the 70's and 80's.

Honestly the part of "ITPOE Part 1" where it it goes into a complex meter (I think it's in the Dominant, tonality-wise) threw me off a little bit. I think it's slightly different from the original here; I was trying to bob my head to the music (which I am quite familiar with), and I found myself thrown off during the end of the phrases. Is it different or am I crazy? It's not really bad, I just got thrown off when I was watching it in Bowling Green.

I could just be thrown off by the horns playing it instead of Petrucci and Myung though lol.

Also, and this is just a random thought, but if you could get your guitarist to play the original opening riffs to ITPOE (what is played in the mallets right now) I feel like people would appreciate the guitarist a little more. :satisfied:

ALSO! You should totally get a continuum board and play the entire 7 minute intro to Octavarium :blink:

Good luck this season! I appreciate the rep and hope you get into Semis! (Clean those feets!)

I gotta say that is about as close to the polar opposite of my opinion as someone could get. The LAST thing I want is a hornline "supported" by a synth trying to copy a brass sound. That IMO poisions the purity of a brassline, and I don't care how good or high quality the synth, the difference is palpable. I think the best uses of synth to date have been to create effects that you could not otherwise create with the existing instrumentation in drum corps.

There have been all sorts of excellent uses of synths, inc the ones you mention as well as the low end synths that have enhanced the overall sound of corps using them.

Did someone say it was a design crutch in this thread? I looked back and didn't see that anywhere.

Jeff said this in an earlier post:

"...some use it totally for a design crutch and I feel it hurts them "

John, that's the part I don't get, either.

I have supported the use of electronics since they first made their debut in DCI. Heck, I supported DCA's Empire Statesmen's use of an electric guitar back in 1985.

But I don't understand why a corps that puts, say, 70-80 brass players on the field, including a dozen or so tubas, really needs to electronically "enhance" that sound, in particular on the low end. Or use mikes on brass soloists.

Isn't that where the training of the players (and expertise of the staff) is supposed to come in, to produce that full "drum corps sound" as an ensemble, and for soloists to carry their sound to all parts of the viewing area?

Corps I have heard that use the low end synth are not doubling the tubas...they are below the tuba range. They create an enhanced low end overall sound, just as contras did when they were first added.

Worse - by far. Anyone familiar with Scouts '82/'85/'89 and Garfield '87, compared to Scouts 10, SCV '09 should notice a quite a substantial difference in overall sound.

To me it's 2nd rate, cheap, the easy way out. Just let the horns play. Amplification is not needed at all IMO.

Edited by acn

Corps I have heard that use the low end synth are not doubling the tubas...they are below the tuba range. They create an enhanced low end overall sound, just as contras did when they were first added.

Mike, you and I agree on a lot of things.... but on this one, I still don't see a need for that enhancement, with all those well-trained brass players on the field.

Mike, you and I agree on a lot of things.... but on this one, I still don't see a need for that enhancement, with all those well-trained brass players on the field.

Hey, as long as we agree about CB! (no, not THAT one! :blink: ) :satisfied:

Did corps NEED the contra? Or did they think it would improve the overall sound of the corps, so they WANTED the contra?

That's how I see it. Adding to the total sound being produced below the tuba range creates an even fuller overall sound, and I happen to like it. I am in favor of anything that makes the corps sound better.

especially when it overpowers the product on the field

Which did not happen at TCNJ to any of the corps, so at least for that show...not an issue.

and did happen on the live feeds Thursday and Friday, and will happen inside a dome.