Drum corps storm stories

1977 Madison Wisconsin. Blue Stars on the field. We played Planets that years with the umbrellas in the show. The show starts out with 8 big impacts. Dah dah dah dah dadadada. Silence. CRASH! Lightning. Thunder. Right in beat with the show. Of course, a little lightning and thunder never stopped a corps back then. We continue with the thunder coming in in perfect accent to our show (almost like we ordered it). Fits right in with the umbrellas too. It really hyped us up. Best show I think we had all year.

We get to the part of spinning planets. I'm in the farthest one out on side 2 and am spinning out to the back of the field so I can't see anyone.

The announcer starts yelling DIP SH**! DIP SH**! I'm wondering why he's yelling awful things at us because the show is freaking awesome. As I come around the far side of the circle I see the rest of my corps running off the field and there are only 5 or six of us who are still in that stupid circle.

Turns out the announcer was ex military or something and was yelling at us to "DITCH IT!".

Edited by bearz

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2008 we were rehearsing in Fort Walton Beach, Florida... I don't think that in two days we had a successful ensemble block... anyway, we were having a visual rehearsal and the man running rehearsal (who shall remain nameless) says "let's hurry up before Independence Day gets here..." and we all look to see a bunch of solid black clouds slowly moving towards the field (we were across the street from the school). We get about two reps in before he gets paranoid and ducks down in the press box and says "Was that lightning? Did you guys see lightning?" There wasn't any, but he made us run underneath the stands, which was good because it soon started pouring. Turns out he was afraid of lightning.

Some other point in the season we were learning our new closer, and there was a huge thunderstorm... again, very few ensemble blocks with the whole corps... we were either at dinner break or storm break at one point and we go out and see this odd green color in the clouds, and many members swear they saw rotating clouds come over the school. That was one of the freakiest moments on tour. Coincidentally, from SC we went to Orlando and it rained there, too... we never had an ensemble block or a full run with the guard with our closer... our first run of the closer with the guard was at the Orlando show.

1977 Madison Wisconsin. Blue Stars on the field. We played Planets that years with the umbrellas in the show. The show starts out with 8 big impacts. Dah dah dah dah dadadada. Silence. CRASH! Lightning. Thunder. Right in beat with the show. Of course, a little lightning and thunder never stopped a corps back then. We continue with the thunder coming in in perfect accent to our show (almost like we ordered it). Fits right in with the umbrellas too. It really hyped us up. Best show I think we had all year.

We get to the part of spinning planets. I'm in the farthest one out on side 2 and am spinning out to the back of the field so I can't see anyone.

The announcer starts yelling DIP SH**! DIP SH**! I'm wondering why he's yelling awful things at us because the show is freaking awesome. As I come around the far side of the circle I see the rest of my corps running off the field and there are only 5 or six of us who are still in that stupid circle.

Turns out the announcer was ex military or something and was yelling at us to "DITCH IT!".

Funny stuff ! ( although probably not at the time for those in it )

In 2004, rehearsing at Desoto Central in Mississippi, close to Memphis. We were in section sectionals. We were standing in a small trumpet arc when dark clouds started rolling in and the wind started to pick up. Ryan Todd (tech) looks around and notices other sections are still rehearsing, so we continue on. All of sudden, from around a fence come running the baris and their tech yelling at us to get inside. That is the only time I have ever actually heard the rain coming before I saw it.

In 2004 didn't East Coast Jazz finish their finals performance and ignored the event staff trying to stop them with about a minute left in the show?

Yeah it was and it was at Div II/III Finals.

In 2004, rehearsing at Desoto Central in Mississippi, close to Memphis. We were in section sectionals. We were standing in a small trumpet arc when dark clouds started rolling in and the wind started to pick up. Ryan Todd (tech) looks around and notices other sections are still rehearsing, so we continue on. All of sudden, from around a fence come running the baris and their tech yelling at us to get inside. That is the only time I have ever actually heard the rain coming before I saw it.

I remember seeing the rain and bolting towards the school. Made it to the school but that door was locked so we had to go around and open it for the rest of the hornline who was drenched after like 2 minutes...

Sometime in the 80s at the Carlisle DCA show:

Starts raining and Steel City Ambassadors enter the field.....

Steel City starts playing "Stormy Weather" as the heavens open up..... :satisfied: People start laughing until they realize they are getting soaked.....

Sometime in the 80s at the Carlisle DCA show:

Starts raining and Steel City Ambassadors enter the field.....

Steel City starts playing "Stormy Weather" as the heavens open up..... :satisfied: People start laughing until they realize they are getting soaked.....

Pretty sure that was 1986 because 1985 Carlisle would have been the year of 'dueling Malaguenas' with Cabs. It seemed we got rained on a lot that year with that tune, but it was always a hype for us. the worst was Lewisburg that year - warming up to go on a huge storm passed over the stadium, some claimed to have seen a funnel cloud forming as it went over. I think the show was held up for a while, but went on in a drizzling rain as exhibition only. I believe we were last on, no plumes but still in uniform (white pants and shoes, gold tunics). just as we started the heavens opened up, blinding rain and lightning. we kept going, the drum corps nut crowd refused to leave, and both went absolutely nuts when we got to "Stormy". the uniforms were a mess when we finished, the field trashed, crowd soaked to the bone, but who really cared after that experience!

Pretty sure that was 1986 because 1985 Carlisle would have been the year of 'dueling Malaguenas' with Cabs. It seemed we got rained on a lot that year with that tune, but it was always a hype for us. the worst was Lewisburg that year - warming up to go on a huge storm passed over the stadium, some claimed to have seen a funnel cloud forming as it went over. I think the show was held up for a while, but went on in a drizzling rain as exhibition only. I believe we were last on, no plumes but still in uniform (white pants and shoes, gold tunics). just as we started the heavens opened up, blinding rain and lightning. we kept going, the drum corps nut crowd refused to leave, and both went absolutely nuts when we got to "Stormy". the uniforms were a mess when we finished, the field trashed, crowd soaked to the bone, but who really cared after that experience!

LOL thanks John, only remember that my sister had a friend over from Germany and he thought Americans were nuts (in a good way) for staying out in the rain for a music show. (Think we stayed for all the corps and left during retreat.) Then he pulled out his wallet and had to squeeze the excess water out of the Deutchmarks he had. :blink:

Lewisburg in mid 2000s: Lightning and horrendous rain before the show started. I got soaked and not feeling well so left before the show started after a delay. Route 15 south was blocked and had to go down a goat path as a detour. :satisfied: Get home and read on RAMD that I missed the green lightning that came with Round 2 of the storm.