Scouts design in the future . . .

No, I absolutely agree with that assessment.

However, my question is . . .what can we expect to see in 2011 (and beyond) if we look at 2010 as a springboard for the Madison Scouts brand?

Is 2011 more of a "slow and steady" improvement year, designed to play to the past successes of the corps? Or do we see something completely fresh, a sort of all-in towards pushing the Scouts to the next level competitively?

I seriously doubt the design team will try to put a show on the field that could compete for 1st if the execution was there. I don't think the corps will be ready for that level of show yet. With that said their talent is very likely to take another step up, and I would guess at pretty high retention. I think they'll be putting a show on the field from a design standpoint that could maybe compete for 5-6-7 if executed at a VERY high level. What will be interesting to see, is if they will continue with the old school music philosophy, a lot of which doesn't lend itself to demand from a tempo standpoint but has the potential for high musical GE.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt the design team will try to put a show on the field that could compete for 1st if the execution was there. I don't think the corps will be ready for that level of show yet. With that said their talent is very likely to take another step up, and I would guess at pretty high retention. I think they'll be putting a show on the field from a design standpoint that could maybe compete for 5-6-7 if executed at a VERY high level. What will be interesting to see, is if they will continue with the old school music philosophy, a lot of which doesn't lend itself to demand from a tempo standpoint but has the potential for high musical GE.

Suppose they stayed "old school" and still did a Broadway musical but it was something contemporary instead of dated (eg. Wicked).

Suppose they stayed "old school" and still did a Broadway musical but it was something contemporary instead of dated (eg. Wicked).

That would be "Wicked" cool. Seriously though, that would be a great way to tie into their past production philosophy with a fresh twist. I could see a show like that doing very well.

I don't expect another throw-back show from them next year but I don't anticipate them trying to be the innovators after an 11-12 place finish. If BK was doing BD's show this year they would be in 15th. The judges just don't like innovation unless your execution and talent is elite. This staff knows that. Expect something closer to Star 89 not Star 93.

That would be "Wicked" cool. Seriously though, that would be a great way to tie into their past production philosophy with a fresh twist. I could see a show like that doing very well.

It would work and there are spots in the show to push tempos. I would absolutely kill to hear a Prime arrangement of Wicked :)

Edited by corpsband

I don't expect another throw-back show from them next year but I don't anticipate them trying to be the innovators after an 11-12 place finish. If BK was doing BD's show this year they would be in 15th. The judges just don't like innovation unless your execution and talent is elite. This staff knows that. Expect something closer to Star 89 not Star 93.

I don't expect Star anything. At least I really hope not. Mason didn't come to Madison to revive Star, he came to revive Madison.

Mason didn't come to Madison to revive Star, he came to revive Madison.

And in my opinion he is doing a wonderful job.

I don't expect Star anything. At least I really hope not. Mason didn't come to Madison to revive Star, he came to revive Madison.

Exactly. Unfortunately any corps "that has even the deceased ex brother in law of a 3rd cousin to someone who used to teach Star" on staff is the new star.

Edited by BozzlyB

Exactly. Unfortunately any corps "that has even the deceased ex brother in law of a 3rd cousin to someone who used to teach Star" on staff is the new star.

Waaaaait a minute here before this thing get hijacked. I am NOT saying that the Madison Scouts are the new Star. For one thing, a two time champion with over 30 finalist finishes is not the NEW anybody except themselves. I was saying this staff, most of whom ARE FROM Star (not 3rd cousins), would proceed in a fashion similar to how Star proceeded. I did not mean that there shows or styles would be Star-like, just that they know how to move up STEADILY.

Edited by OICMR corps

Waaaaait a minute here before this thing get hijacked. I am NOT saying that the Madison Scouts are the new Star. For one thing, a two time champion with over 30 finalist finishes is not the NEW anybody except themselves. I was saying this staff, most of whom ARE FROM Star (not 3rd cousins), would proceed in a fashion similar to how Star proceeded. I did not mean that there shows or styles would be Star-like, just that they know how to move up STEADILY.

I agree with you. This team knows the formula to win. They took Star from nothing to a world champion in a matter of 8 years. That's impressive. Will they duplicate that at Madison? Who knows, but I believe they know what they are doing. I expect they will take what they learned from their experience at Star and apply it here, without changing the identity of the Scouts.