How do you feel?

I think they look fabulous. LOL.

OK.. all joking aside, I am not a big fan of dresses. That also includes the kilts I saw 27 wearing in the late 70's. Don't get me wrong. I loved the corps. Just found the kilts to be a bit of an eye sore. Looked kind of silly to me.

By the way. Who is wearing dresses this year ?

Academy, wears long red dresses in the opener. They seemed to draw the most negative reaction.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Academy, wears long red dresses in the opener. They seemed to draw the most negative reaction.

Considering the subject matter of Prince Igor, I think it's safe to say the costume designers had Turkish culture in mind rather than an expression of femininity. They remind me a lot of the Whirling Dervishes of Rumi.

79955,xcitefun-whirling-dervish-43s171-sw.jpg

I think it looks silly and it's distracting.

Ok, now why is that? Because in our society, dresses are not appropriate dress for men. So unless they are trying to make a specfic point about how we shouldn't have that particular standard in our society, they are taking away from the effect of their program by creating a distraction.

If the show were based on the movie "Some Like it Hot" then it would be appropriate to have male members in dresses because it would contribute positively to the point of the program.

About Academy - my sister and I discussed whether they were using a certain cultural garb that was appropriate for men but we weren't sure. From gimpy's post above, referring to the Turkish clothes it seems that it may be that that is what they were going for. Can someone confirm?

How do I feel about colorguard? Let's see....

Well, I dislike WGI, and I wish it remained it's own activity instead of transforming drum corps into something it shouldn't be. Remember the days when colorguard counted as ZERO on the sheets? Yes, that was only less than a decade ago folks! But now it has scores that count in it's own caption, AND infuences every other visual caption, as well as visual GE... mixed with the intangible influence on across-the-board adjudication (come on, everyone eats it up, and you know it) and eventually accumulating (in my view) around 99% of the total score........... or at least it seems.

Therefore, I don't like flags on grass. Or rifles on turf. Or dancing on boxes. Boo colorguard.

Oh ####, that wasn't the question?!

iT influenced every caption back in the day also if it had an actual score or not. There are dozens of examples of it as far back as the 70s 27th lancers guard for 1 always stole the show amoung many others and what they contributed to every caption was amazing.

They look cute and at times elegant on girls and I'm cool with that. Guys should avoid them unless they want to make themselves a magnet for negative attention.

I remember seeing Sunrisers in 1997. They were killer good that year but alot of the crowd attention was focused on the men in the guard wearing pretty dresses. Sorry, it just looked silly. I won't repeat what people were saying. It was nasty.

Just giving you my observation.

iT influenced every caption back in the day also if it had an actual score or not. There are dozens of examples of it as far back as the 70s 27th lancers guard for 1 always stole the show amoung many others and what they contributed to every caption was amazing.

27 guard looked great in dresses because they were all female. They complement the female form just as well tailored dress suits and unifoirms complement the male form.

I must have really missed something? I recall seeing the "dresses" on the guard for Academy and wondering if they were all female. Based on the theme of the show I figured it was representing a religion. The whirling dervish photos above are exactly that. Then they took them off shortly into the show and revealed the real uniform. I could see men and women. Big deal.

Some of the subtext here is laughable in this day and age and in an activity with visual design, color guard, musicians, and people interested in beauty, you are gonna have a lot of gay men. I don't see why its forbidden to talk about. I am gay and it doesn't bother me if you don't like seeing guys in dresses, but if it really bugs you then there could be a number of reasons why.

I prefer a guard uniform that allows the guard to move and allows the crowd to focus on the dance and flag work. As a horn player, I didn't really used to pay that much attention to the guard, but it is certainly a lot more in your face these days. Whatever works and gets points from the judges is gonna keep coming!

If seeing effeminate CG members grosses you out or offends you either get a coke or stop coming to the shows because as pop culture is showing you, its only becoming more in the public eye and I suspect we'll see the trend continue in DC.

27 guard looked great in dresses because they were all female. They complement the female form just as well tailored dress suits and unifoirms complement the male form.

This answer was to anohter poster who talked about in the recent past guards didnt even get a score SOOO I was refrencing even wya back 27 with or with out an actual score contrinuted to every score on every sheet..... HAd nothing to do with dresses....But I actually thought those tight 27 mini skirts werent very cool.. although the best guard ever

This answer was to anohter poster who talked about in the recent past guards didnt even get a score SOOO I was refrencing even wya back 27 with or with out an actual score contrinuted to every score on every sheet..... HAd nothing to do with dresses....But I actually thought those tight 27 mini skirts werent very cool.. although the best guard ever

OMGGGGG I'm sorry for all the type Os. I guess I posted to fast....BAD ME ! :thumbdown:

IMHO, its all about pushing a world view on audiences, under the rubrik of "artistic license".

What "world view" would that be?