How do you feel?

Honestly-it's just some cloth. It's amazing how cloth becomes so imbued with cultural power. I don't think the dresses on males are a big deal-it's the least of DCI's problems.

Amen.

This conversation is getting too deep for DCP. Someone diss BD so that we can get back to our old ways.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no need to pigeonhole regions about bigotry. there's plenty to go around.

i would hope that most decent people don't let costumes in marching bands get them too riled up, no matter where they live.

oh please. i saw an indoor guard show over 20 years ago rile people up because they thought the black capes and hoods were satanic

This is slightly OT from what the OP was originally asking but I've been wanting to say this for a while... let me preface, I like color guards and have numerous friends who are in guards. However, I feel the DCI activity is seeing quite the WGIfication these days. The direction we are going seems to be guided a lot by the guard activity and their prominent staff members more so than any other area of the drum corps. That's not to say that hornlines are not playing anymore; not only would that be a bold-faced lie, I couldn't even bring myself to say it if I wanted to. There are quite a few shows this year where I really enjoy the music. That said, it still seems to me like WGI (and indoor percussion) are the driving force behind DCI right now.

even in terms of musical arrangment WGI is pushing the game for all

Frankly this is an underwhelming effort on the part of the DCP Moral Outrage Committee, but I guess they don't have too much to work with this season. I had hoped someone would complain about Little Geoffrey running around with a saber . . . pretty dangerous for a kid . . . but no one has picked up that particular banner yet.

Past outrages, and their results:

2004 -- Outrage: Carolina Crown's bohemian theme show sets a bad example for the kids.

Aftermath: The group that sang "Seasons of Love" contracted tuberculosis and died after drinking too much absinthe. A coffee- stained

manuscript recounting their physical, mental, and emotional deterioration was discovered shortly after their deaths and

will be published next year under the title The Diesel Bums.

2005 -- Outrage: Cadets guard wears uniform reminiscent of Uma Thurman's Bruce Lee track suit from Kill Bill, while corps plays music used in

same movie.

Aftermath: Two guard members are still at large after massacring 99 yakuza in a Japanese night club in 2007.

2008 -- Outrage: Stylized violence in Phantom's show is too much for some with delicate sensibilities.

Aftermath: Phantom's DM is now serving a life sentence for stabbing a rude waiter in a Turkish restaurant with a kebab skewer.

2010 -- Outrage: Marc Sylvester seen wearing Che Guevara t-shirt.

Aftermath: In 2011, BK plans to leave the DCI tour and travel to an undisclosed location in Central America where they will spend

3 months fighting to bring bread and equality to the local peasants. Not since Star of Indiana's tour with the Canadian Brass

has a drum corps been presented with such a prestigious opportunity, notes Sylvester.

2010 -- Outrage: Male guard members dressed in gender inappropriate outfits.

Aftermath: ???????

As you can see, the DCPMOC was rightly concerned over these past incidents, yet no one listened. I hope the drum corps community does not make that mistake again and take immediate action to counter this emerging crisis.

Speaking of BD..

I really like the way the black on the guard uniforms is used throughout the show. Very effective!

Nice. :thumbdown:

Yes that's what I mean...lol..and you notice how I started this thread.

I know how it is on here and I was just trying to get some DECENT CIVIL minded conversation going about this....but I guess I came to the wrong place AGAIN! :thumbdown:

Then stop beating around the bush and ask what you really want to ask, which appears to be "How do you feel about cross dressing?"

Lots of interesting opinions out there on this issue. Thanks for keeping the discussion civil for so long, but we're starting to get kind of circular here and there are some personal attacks going on.

Thanks again.