How do you feel?

This is slightly OT from what the OP was originally asking but I've been wanting to say this for a while... let me preface, I like color guards and have numerous friends who are in guards. However, I feel the DCI activity is seeing quite the WGIfication these days. The direction we are going seems to be guided a lot by the guard activity and their prominent staff members more so than any other area of the drum corps. That's not to say that hornlines are not playing anymore; not only would that be a bold-faced lie, I couldn't even bring myself to say it if I wanted to. There are quite a few shows this year where I really enjoy the music. That said, it still seems to me like WGI (and indoor percussion) are the driving force behind DCI right now.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are there any guard costumes in particular you're talking about? I'm having trouble thinking of which corps has guys wearing dresses ..

Hell, I'll say it - Glassmen.

I was on the track in Michigan City when they were on the field, and noticed every other man in the area coming to the realization that a good number of the "women" in their guard wearing skirts and hijabs were, in fact, men. It was a pretty interesting look of shock and recognition.

The guard staff there clearly either has no sense of what is gender-appropriate wear for men, or they do know, and think themselves 'above' societal norms. A little clueless in either case, imho.

Edited by mobrien

OMG, I know right? And at a family show no less!

I mean if a young man sees another boy in a fanciful costume used to enhance a visual program, all flow-y and colorful, he might just catch the ghey.

The next thing you know, they will have guys in dresses on good old-fashioned network TV, turning all sorts of young men into mincing ladyboys...

Oh, wait, they already did that; Like 40 years ago, when there were only three Networks...

flipwilson2.jpg

And yet there are still plenty of Hetero guys around, Crazy!

As usual, we are not allowed to give our opinions on the subject without being made out as the "bad guys"... :blink: I can't really talk about why I don't like guard guys in dresses because dcp has strict rules on such things but if you want to pm me, feel free and we'll chat. :tongue:

As usual, we are not allowed to give our opinions on the subject without being made out as the "bad guys"... :blink: I can't really talk about why I don't like guard guys in dresses because dcp has strict rules on such things but if you want to pm me, feel free and we'll chat. :tongue:

When the opinions are "it makes me sick" and "it's just wrong," rather than less loaded ways of expressing dislike or even discomfort, it's hard to sympathize. There are such things as respectful and eloquent dissent.

If you, yourself, say your opinion is so unflattering that DCP won't even let you post it, it shouldn't be so hard to understand why some might code you as "the bad guy."

As for me, I'm still wondering what makes guys in dresses so uniformly, self-evidentally "wrong."

Aside from the fact that the dresses themselves are often so tacky, I mean. :mat:

Edited by saxfreq1128

I haven't read all the pages (up to 4) but I'm surprised no one mentioned Homophobia. Parents would think "do I want my child to march in a corps that dress boys up like girls?" Older people most likely wouldn't like it.

Its a costume arguement, Martha Graham had her dancers dress in plain white dress and let the movement tell the story. Many dancers have plain unitards. Let the music and movement tell the story. Cadets 84? had the best guard unis I ever seen. they were related to the corps but still femine.

Jumping the shark- Would a corps but someone in blackface? dressed as someone in bondage? To me its only a matter of time.

In the words of Ochocinco "child please"

This thread is funny. Really.

My only contribution to the conversation is to say that BAC opted (again this year) to have separate designs for the boys and girls in the guard, at great expense, btw. I think the guard and visual designers were most concerned with them being period correct......and if you look carefully, you will see both designs featured frequently on "The Tudors" on Showtime.

I noticed a couple corps with boys wearing dress-like costumes......I frankly was more bothered by the fact that I just thought they were hideously ugly moreso than the gender issue.

Edited by craiga