How do you feel?

As for me, I'm still wondering what makes guys in dresses so uniformly, self-evidentally "wrong."

Aside from the fact that the dresses themselves are often so tacky, I mean. :blink:

Exactly. Crown's infamous togas would have been totally appropriate for the show, except for the fact that were all pastel colors, transforming them from togas into godawful cotillion gowns. Bad design is bad design.

Unfortunately a lot of the people who are great choreographers also feel they can design colors/clothes, and it is a different skill set. Some people can pull of both, but more often than not you end up with something like Glassmen '93.

The corps that look great usually have a dedicated designer, such as Cesario for that stuff. He sometimes lays an egg, but usually his costumes are gender/body shape appropriate and feature fantastic and effective color design.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LancerLady,

It's jealousy, pure and simple. Since you are from Memphis, I can pretty much guarantee that you were, by far, the most beautiful girl in the Boston area when you were in 27. Once you left, things returned to their old, drab, "earthy" state. They are just carrying a grudge... :blink:

Yes that's what I mean...lol..and you notice how I started this thread.

I know how it is on here and I was just trying to get some DECENT CIVIL minded conversation going about this....but I guess I came to the wrong place AGAIN! :mat:

Oops... PC isn't my specialty... :tongue:

Edited by KeyboardGuy

Asking a male to wear a dress is like asking a female to wear a jock strap. It's ridiculous. :blink:

Haven't seen the guards this year.

But remember this: In "Some like it hot" and Flip Willson's "Geraldine" bit, the man in a dress was played for LAUGHS!

Is that what the designers want? For people to laugh at the corps? :blink:

Ok - so I read through all the comments and went back and watched Glassmen before commenting.

I can see both sides of the argument

1) The costumes represent "religious" attire worn by cultures around the world and do not necessarily only represent North American views. They have obviously researched it before settling on the design

2) Designers should be more aware of how they not only dress guys, but the entire color guard - clothes do make the man to some extent

My opinion - I can see what Glassmen was going for - but honestly - at the end of the day - it looks like a guy wearing a long skirt with a scarf around his head - sometimes intent and design execution are 2 very different things. As a guy who has marched guard (and is teaching both winterguard and drum corps) - I know how hard it is to perform when you don't feel good about what you are wearing - and I can't imagine those guys are too thrilled with their look right now.

For those of you that answered "it's just plain wrong" - I suggest you look at some very well known dance troupes that have used males performing in skirts to see just how powerful - and masculine (gasp) the effect can be. But I have a feeling that most of you can't get past a guy wearing a skirt - although when Vanguard had all the women dressed in business suits 2 years ago - no one complained. Double standard much?

Later,

Mike

Ok - so I read through all the comments and went back and watched Glassmen before commenting.

I can see both sides of the argument

1) The costumes represent "religious" attire worn by cultures around the world and do not necessarily only represent North American views. They have obviously researched it before settling on the design

2) Designers should be more aware of how they not only dress guys, but the entire color guard - clothes do make the man to some extent

My opinion - I can see what Glassmen was going for - but honestly - at the end of the day - it looks like a guy wearing a long skirt with a scarf around his head - sometimes intent and design execution are 2 very different things. As a guy who has marched guard (and is teaching both winterguard and drum corps) - I know how hard it is to perform when you don't feel good about what you are wearing - and I can't imagine those guys are too thrilled with their look right now.

For those of you that answered "it's just plain wrong" - I suggest you look at some very well known dance troupes that have used males performing in skirts to see just how powerful - and masculine (gasp) the effect can be. But I have a feeling that most of you can't get past a guy wearing a skirt - although when Vanguard had all the women dressed in business suits 2 years ago - no one complained. Double standard much?

Later,

Mike

:blink::tongue::mat::mat:

I do think designers dont think beyond their own vision. but youre right with the double standard. Personally ( not speaking for anyone else ) I dont care for Glassmen costume either but Its for taste and attention to just not detail of theme but body type and image thats bothersome for me.

With that said on the whole dress thing it's just as offensive to see ( crossmen ) a girls butt hangin out in all it's jiggle. Boston last year although alot of MEN who posted loved all the jiggle in white BUT many were offended and felt it was trashy. Poor MAtt ( Instructor , literally got hate mail on the subject ) OK hate mail is extreme of anyone to do but it did happened. Double standard YES

When the opinions are "it makes me sick" and "it's just wrong," rather than less loaded ways of expressing dislike or even discomfort, it's hard to sympathize. There are such things as respectful and eloquent dissent.

If you, yourself, say your opinion is so unflattering that DCP won't even let you post it, it shouldn't be so hard to understand why some might code you as "the bad guy."

As for me, I'm still wondering what makes guys in dresses so uniformly, self-evidentally "wrong."

Aside from the fact that the dresses themselves are often so tacky, I mean. :tongue:

I dont care what they wear, wether its termed a dress, gown, ku-lats, etc.....my only requirement to enjoy it is if its tastefull or goes with the program . I would never want to or desire to "call out" anyone or any group for challenging or redefining...or just plain simply not caring about assigned gender roles or stereotypes..like someone said earlier, its like actors playing a role.....why should the rest of the activity advance and we still expect the same ol' status quo in regards to colorguard...

Heck, Centruties ago Boys played womens parts and vice-a-versa for Shakespeare and other great works on the stage......for issues of gender, sexuality, role playing and stereotypes, its a non issue...................................................design-wise ? that's another story :blink:

G

i don't care if a guy wears a skirt/dress in a show if it's part of the design (as long as it's well made). the biggest issue i have with guard costumes is the overuse of lycra and spandex, especially if someone's not wearing a dance belt. then it's a hot mess.

THIS !!!!

G

Edited by GMichael1230