How do you feel?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, I'll say it - Glassmen.

I was on the track in Michigan City when they were on the field, and noticed every other man in the area coming to the realization that a good number of the "women" in their guard wearing skirts and hijabs were, in fact, men. It was a pretty interesting look of shock and recognition.

The guard staff there clearly either has no sense of what is gender-appropriate wear for men, or they do know, and think themselves 'above' societal norms. A little clueless in either case, imho.

Heck, you should have stood next to Alliance on retreat in 1981.......wayyy back then, a young pioneer wore his unifrom proudly, all alone, by himself, 29 years ago...now ? It's nothing....

Kuddos to that guy in Allaince colorguard

G

Heck, you should have stood next to Alliance on retreat in 1981.......wayyy back then, a young pioneer wore his unifrom proudly, all alone, by himself, 29 years ago...now ? It's nothing....

Kuddos to that guy in Allaince colorguard

G

That would be Ray. Great guy.

Ok - so I read through all the comments and went back and watched Glassmen before commenting.

I can see both sides of the argument

1) The costumes represent "religious" attire worn by cultures around the world and do not necessarily only represent North American views. They have obviously researched it before settling on the design

2) Designers should be more aware of how they not only dress guys, but the entire color guard - clothes do make the man to some extent

My opinion - I can see what Glassmen was going for - but honestly - at the end of the day - it looks like a guy wearing a long skirt with a scarf around his head - sometimes intent and design execution are 2 very different things. As a guy who has marched guard (and is teaching both winterguard and drum corps) - I know how hard it is to perform when you don't feel good about what you are wearing - and I can't imagine those guys are too thrilled with their look right now.

For those of you that answered "it's just plain wrong" - I suggest you look at some very well known dance troupes that have used males performing in skirts to see just how powerful - and masculine (gasp) the effect can be. But I have a feeling that most of you can't get past a guy wearing a skirt - although when Vanguard had all the women dressed in business suits 2 years ago - no one complained. Double standard much?

Later,

Mike

Well spoken and covers every relevant point.

The guard are performers in costume. If the costume brings the audience further into your show, it's effective. If it *distracts* the audience, it's not.

I would prefer not to see guys in dresses. On the other hand, in general, it is probably best to let the designers have a lot of freedom. If I don't like a particular costume, I can always focus my attention elsewhere.

It's very difficult to do that. It's like looking away from an accident or possibly not scratching your poison ivy. Your brain says look away but your eyes don't get the message.

(edited for multiple "It's" and "your" violations)

Edited by jplattSCV

It could be that the designers want to out do one another or they are doing it to take focus off of a dirty and boring drill and to add some shock value to their show.

For me, keep the dresses in the closet and clean the drill.

I would love to see a 27th or Kingsmen Guard on the field over a guy in a dress any day!

-G

Some people can pull of both, but more often than not you end up with something like Glassmen '93.

Those things were just hideous..Ughh

Costumes have jumped the shark years ago, design-wise......it is so hideous at times it drives me crazy..thankfully, there is still good, solid work to "make up" for the debacles on the humans.

G

at times they do seem quite silly.

A jockstrap protects a body part. A dress is just long cloth.

G

You wouldn't say that if you got kicked where it really counts (don't forget to insert cup). Just kidding. :blink: