After talking to the judges last night...

I'm glad one of them had the audacity to say, "That was horrible." There's too much of a touchy-feely, everyone's-a-winner mentality in DCI IMO.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP doesn't like other people's opinions

Speaking for myself, it's my opinion that opinions are fun. Opinions stated as facts and then extended to "the audience" aren't.

Also, juding is ridiculous, but I think we all know they really do try to do the best job they can. Don't we all, really?

I'm glad one of them had the audacity to say, "That was horrible." There's too much of a touchy-feely, everyone's-a-winner mentality in DCI IMO.

You sir, are correct.

I don't think some of you can read what I posted in the OP. I understand...judges are human, I said that at least 3 times in my OP. I didn't create this topic to let everyone "let loose" on the judges, because we already know everybody knows how to do that. I have to agree with some of you, the system is in fact wrong in certain ways, so sometimes it looks bad on the judges behalf, because of the way they have to score.

My original intent wasn't to say the judges are sorry (Like some of you took it). If you read what I had to say, you'd understand that I know that

1. Judges are human

2. We all make mistakes

3. I'm not happy sometimes with scores, but that doesn't mean I hate the judges.

The reason why I said what I did is because the ones of you who keep saying "Judges are human too (in a sarcastic way), are the ones who sit around and complain about them all the time. Even though I had the chance to talk with them a lot, that doesn't make it more justified that they are always right, because again...nobody is perfect.

I don't think some of you can read what I posted in the OP. I understand...judges are human, I said that at least 3 times in my OP. I didn't create this topic to let everyone "let loose" on the judges, because we already know everybody knows how to do that. I have to agree with some of you, the system is in fact wrong in certain ways, so sometimes it looks bad on the judges behalf, because of the way they have to score.

My original intent wasn't to say the judges are sorry (Like some of you took it). If you read what I had to say, you'd understand that I know that

1. Judges are human

2. We all make mistakes

3. I'm not happy sometimes with scores, but that doesn't mean I hate the judges.

The reason why I said what I did is because the ones of you who keep saying "Judges are human too (in a sarcastic way), are the ones who sit around and complain about them all the time. Even though I had the chance to talk with them a lot, that doesn't make it more justified that they are always right, because again...nobody is perfect.

I get what you're saying. You think most of them do the best job they can. I think most people on here agree with you.

I doubt anybody believes that.

Enjoy your hot dog.

Wait, wait...Lance, aren't you the champion for not speaking for others? Maybe I believe him, and maybe a few others do, too. Don't presume to speak for others while campaigning to keep others from doing the same. Remember that whole reference to audience response on that other thread? Same concept.

And in other ways, he's right about those criticizing BD automatically being labeled as "haters". I have some criticisms of them over several seasons. Am I a Hater? Far from it. My problem is not with their success, or cutting edge show design, or with the BD Borg. My problem is knowing that they have a superior brass line, yet they are given crap (IMO) to play.

Back on topic, I met a lot of "human" judges as an instructor. I know a lot of it had to do with approaching them with respect and intelligent questions to help a novice drumline improve, and they were more than willing to take those extra few minutes during or after the formal critique to offer their advice. The funny part was hearing who they didn't like talking to! And often it was the finalists.

Garry in Vegas

Thanks for sharing your volunteer opportunity Carolina09Spirit. In the late 60's, I was a runner; take the judges score sheets and run to the tabulators' room. At competitions in the early 70's, I'd recognize some of the judges while on the field. I was a judge for a few years 30+ years ago north of the 49th parallel. As I watched all but 2 corps on Fan Network during the July 31st live webcast, I was amazed at how much ground the 3 field judges had to cover and how often they had to run.

Wait, wait...Lance, aren't you the champion for not speaking for others? Maybe I believe him, and maybe a few others do, too. Don't presume to speak for others while campaigning to keep others from doing the same. Remember that whole reference to audience response on that other thread? Same concept.

And in other ways, he's right about those criticizing BD automatically being labeled as "haters". I have some criticisms of them over several seasons. Am I a Hater? Far from it. My problem is not with their success, or cutting edge show design, or with the BD Borg. My problem is knowing that they have a superior brass line, yet they are given crap (IMO) to play.

Back on topic, I met a lot of "human" judges as an instructor. I know a lot of it had to do with approaching them with respect and intelligent questions to help a novice drumline improve, and they were more than willing to take those extra few minutes during or after the formal critique to offer their advice. The funny part was hearing who they didn't like talking to! And often it was the finalists.

Garry in Vegas

Garry,

big difference between how you approach your thoughts and opinions and tho others that are labeted "haters" ...using that word doesnt mean that applies to everyone or anyone that is critical of the Blue Devils..heck, I have/had issues with them in the past, am I a hater ??

Those that fall under the criteria, know who they are, those that dont...well, its quite obvious to see.

G