After talking to the judges last night...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, wait...Lance, aren't you the champion for not speaking for others? Maybe I believe him, and maybe a few others do, too. Don't presume to speak for others while campaigning to keep others from doing the same. Remember that whole reference to audience response on that other thread? Same concept.

And in other ways, he's right about those criticizing BD automatically being labeled as "haters". I have some criticisms of them over several seasons. Am I a Hater? Far from it. My problem is not with their success, or cutting edge show design, or with the BD Borg. My problem is knowing that they have a superior brass line, yet they are given crap (IMO) to play.

Back on topic, I met a lot of "human" judges as an instructor. I know a lot of it had to do with approaching them with respect and intelligent questions to help a novice drumline improve, and they were more than willing to take those extra few minutes during or after the formal critique to offer their advice. The funny part was hearing who they didn't like talking to! And often it was the finalists.

Garry in Vegas

correct. i don't believe him. sorry for saying that others didn't.

And you are entitled to it.

But I disagree.

I would LOVE to love the Blue Devils.

There were my very first exposure to drum corps, and the first t-shirt I bought.

They (usually) have a very friendly and knowledgeable fan base.

They have, IMO, the BEST forum on the web.

I WANT the BD MM, if they win, to be supported by the majority of the crowd.

I WANT to cheer for them.

I am a Cavie's fan, but wouldn't mind if BD beat them with a show I could get behind.

From a lot of the posts I've read, this seems (to me) to be the majority opinion of most of the posts on this forum.

On the other hand, as soon as someone suggests any issues regarding BD show design, the BD fans on this forum immediately go into personal attack mode, labeling those that disagree with them "haters".

Why don't you try to educate us poor "haters"?

Suggestion to all BD advocates:

The VODs are up from Atlanta.

The judges seem to agree there is a HUGE difference in show design.

Give us a "BD Top 10 Reasons" this show is scoring so well.

Relate those Top 10 reasons with actual references to the VOD from Atlanta.

This should be easy for those that understand this HUGE difference.

Don't take the easy way out by just saying "they are just better".

Give us (me) specific examples of this obvious difference.

I would really love to understand this show and support it.

Help me and help your corps in the process.

Perhaps I will skip the hot dog at Finals then.

Being an advocate of good mental health I always support these therapy threads where the lost and depressed over the uncontrollable can come to seek comradeship and "share". Now first off, I'm NOT a professional, so I would suggest seeking out additional clarity outside of DCP.

Now let's go back to your previous post:

"I'm certain the BD members feel a little disappointed (of course they won't ever say that in public) when they get "less than enthusiastic" response to their efforts, which is of course really not directed at THEM but at the show DESIGN and scoring criteria...." OK, I've spent the last 3 days with BD and I can assure you that the only thing they "see" is the performance of their show to perfection (like... 100 pts perfection). If you approached them with that ridiculous statement you would be met with :lol:

The fact is that last night (in the lot in Atlanta) before they began their warm-ups Brian (DM) got them all around and said to them that "they were in the throws of something very historic (musically and visually) for drum corps." Disappointed???? You've got to be kidding. They don't understand negative..it's not in their language. They see cheering crowds all over the country, admiring fans that flock to their clinics and practices and understand how they positively influence young people all over the world because of their organization's dedication to excellence. So....in answer to your statement...you are sadly mistaken. And I emphasize sadly.

Next quote of yours: "Even if/when they win, they will have to carry that feeling with them whenever they look at their shiny DCI rings."

You gave yourself away with one little word...."shiny"...in addition to sounding creepy and a little too much like Gollum here, you are pathetically attempting to superimpose some psychological parasite, that you may have encountered. Snakes, lots of snakes here, a veritable serpentarium!

Enjoy good drum and quit trying to fix BD or get into their heads.... my guess is their personal crisis of being undefeated for 2 years and dominating the activity will pass. :worthy:

As far as your little pop quiz is concerned..there are folks on DCP (many of whom do not particularly like BD's show this year) that can answer you chapter and verse. I personally hope they don't waste their skills answering one so filled with angst. You really need to find something else to do with your time, because this activity is not doing you any favors.

Finally, I'll leave you with my credo: If you aren't willing to say your post directly (face to face) to the kids (of any corps) on the field...then shut the #### up!

Being an advocate of good mental health I always support these therapy threads where the lost and depressed over the uncontrollable can come to seek comradeship and "share". Now first off, I'm NOT a professional, so I would suggest seeking out additional clarity outside of DCP.

Now let's go back to your previous post:

"I'm certain the BD members feel a little disappointed (of course they won't ever say that in public) when they get "less than enthusiastic" response to their efforts, which is of course really not directed at THEM but at the show DESIGN and scoring criteria...." OK, I've spent the last 3 days with BD and I can assure you that the only thing they "see" is the performance of their show to perfection (like... 100 pts perfection). If you approached them with that ridiculous statement you would be met with :lol:

The fact is that last night (in the lot in Atlanta) before they began their warm-ups Brian (DM) got them all around and said to them that "they were in the throws of something very historic (musically and visually) for drum corps." Disappointed???? You've got to be kidding. They don't understand negative..it's not in their language. They see cheering crowds all over the country, admiring fans that flock to their clinics and practices and understand how they positively influence young people all over the world because of their organization's dedication to excellence. So....in answer to your statement...you are sadly mistaken. And I emphasize sadly.

Next quote of yours: "Even if/when they win, they will have to carry that feeling with them whenever they look at their shiny DCI rings."

You gave yourself away with one little word...."shiny"...in addition to sounding creepy and a little too much like Gollum here, you are pathetically attempting to superimpose some psychological parasite, that you may have encountered. Snakes, lots of snakes here, a veritable serpentarium!

Enjoy good drum and quit trying to fix BD or get into their heads.... my guess is their personal crisis of being undefeated for 2 years and dominating the activity will pass. :worthy:

As far as your little pop quiz is concerned..there are folks on DCP (many of whom do not particularly like BD's show this year) that can answer you chapter and verse. I personally hope they don't waste their skills answering one so filled with angst. You really need to find something else to do with your time, because this activity is not doing you any favors.

Finally, I'll leave you with my credo: If you aren't willing to say your post directly (face to face) to the kids (of any corps) on the field...then shut the #### up!

yawn

What a homer, a lot of corps look at competition the same way.