After talking to the judges last night...

Being an advocate of good mental health I always support these therapy threads where the lost and depressed over the uncontrollable can come to seek comradeship and "share". Now first off, I'm NOT a professional, so I would suggest seeking out additional clarity outside of DCP.

Now let's go back to your previous post:

"I'm certain the BD members feel a little disappointed (of course they won't ever say that in public) when they get "less than enthusiastic" response to their efforts, which is of course really not directed at THEM but at the show DESIGN and scoring criteria...." OK, I've spent the last 3 days with BD and I can assure you that the only thing they "see" is the performance of their show to perfection (like... 100 pts perfection). If you approached them with that ridiculous statement you would be met with :lol:

The fact is that last night (in the lot in Atlanta) before they began their warm-ups Brian (DM) got them all around and said to them that "they were in the throws of something very historic (musically and visually) for drum corps." Disappointed???? You've got to be kidding. They don't understand negative..it's not in their language. They see cheering crowds all over the country, admiring fans that flock to their clinics and practices and understand how they positively influence young people all over the world because of their organization's dedication to excellence. So....in answer to your statement...you are sadly mistaken. And I emphasize sadly.

Next quote of yours: "Even if/when they win, they will have to carry that feeling with them whenever they look at their shiny DCI rings."

You gave yourself away with one little word...."shiny"...in addition to sounding creepy and a little too much like Gollum here, you are pathetically attempting to superimpose some psychological parasite, that you may have encountered. Snakes, lots of snakes here, a veritable serpentarium!

Enjoy good drum and quit trying to fix BD or get into their heads.... my guess is their personal crisis of being undefeated for 2 years and dominating the activity will pass. :worthy:

As far as your little pop quiz is concerned..there are folks on DCP (many of whom do not particularly like BD's show this year) that can answer you chapter and verse. I personally hope they don't waste their skills answering one so filled with angst. You really need to find something else to do with your time, because this activity is not doing you any favors.

Finally, I'll leave you with my credo: If you aren't willing to say your post directly (face to face) to the kids (of any corps) on the field...then shut the #### up!

Brfilliant.....an opinion that carries the most credibility here, considering your position.....hope they know that theres plenty of folks that love thier show this year !!

G

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being an advocate of good mental health I always support these therapy threads where the lost and depressed over the uncontrollable can come to seek comradeship and "share". Now first off, I'm NOT a professional, so I would suggest seeking out additional clarity outside of DCP.

So....in answer to your statement...you are sadly mistaken. And I emphasize sadly.

in addition to sounding creepy and a little too much like Gollum here, you are pathetically attempting....

You really need to find something else to do with your time, because this activity is not doing you any favors.

Well, you really saw right through me, sir :worthy:

Typical response....total personal attack.

I ask for someone to please explain something that is called OBVIOUS and instead you attack me personally.

Instead (since you seem like an insider) why can't you explain the huge design difference?

I was at Atlanta, and after 2nd place was announced, a lot of people started leaving. There was absolutely no suspense.

of course there was no suspense at that point. they just announced second place, everyone then should know who got first since they've announced all but one name. why would there be any suspense? it's not like they only announced 3rd and 2nd and you still didn't know who won (like in miss america pageants)

of course there was no suspense at that point. they just announced second place, everyone then should know who got first since they've announced all but one name. why would there be any suspense? it's not like they only announced 3rd and 2nd and you still didn't know who won (like in miss america pageants)

That's a good point :worthy:

Maybe I should have said there was little interest at that point.

Not by everyone, of course (lest I be crucified by the BD borg), but a lot of folks around ME weren't listening for scores after Coats, and were quickly packing up.

It was inevitable. Every other thread seems to end up in the same place.

It was inevitable. Every other thread seems to end up in the same place.

Well there's always next year. Maybe the Cadets will read the phone book over their entire show and it'll take some of the pressure off BD. :worthy:

Dude, talk about jaded reality.

Were YOU in Atlanta?

If not, listen to the VOD on FN; compare the crowd reactions.

If you don't see the difference, YOU are the one with jaded reality.

No angles,

JUST

MY

OPINION

Since it just your opinion, why do you accuse G of being 'jaded' if he chooses to disagree with you? Just state YOUR opinion, whatever it is, without making personal comments about another poster's opinion.

No, these are all MY OPINIONS.

The fact I post them under my login makes them MY OPINION ONLY!

I can't see how you can't get that! sheeesh back at ya!

I WAS there at Atlanta, HAVE seen them live, DID see the audience reactions.

I DID experience the "tepid" reaction of OVER +15000 "uneducated" (by YOUR definition) paying fans to the BD show DESIGN.

Personally, I gave ALL the performing corps a standing ovation.

The fact that you are so "touchy" about this indicates (to ME) you feel the truth in what I'm saying.

I will be at Allentown and Final, and BD will be my hot dog corps.

That Atlanta crowd was not overly responsive to ANY corps except Cavaliers. Cavs were irresistibly adorable doing their pushups and bringing the company front (no disrespect intended, I did enjoy their show much more than most other corps minus the tepid ending). Let's face it, company fronts get big crowd response every year, like SCV last year with "Simple Gifts" and that company front note that lasted about 28 beats. Crowds go berserk for that stuff, and I even enjoy it of course. But judges don't score it, in proportion to the loudness.

I watched BD/Atlanta several times today on fannetwork and keep finding extaraordinary examples of field craft and show design, it's such a complex show. Casual audiences are not going to "get" that BD show, but it grows on me more as I watch it repeatedly, especially in person. It will not be a fan favorite (even though they sweep most every caption) in Indy although it is extraordinary in so many ways.