What does one have to do to become a DCI judge

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but how does one go about becoming a DCI judge? (Im only in HS so I know I can't, but I am curious as to how people that can and are able to go about it)

Step One: Get George Hopkins' phone number.

:worthy:

(As I understand it, USSBA is always looking for judges so I'm only being half snide.)

Just curious, but how does one go about becoming a DCI judge? (Im only in HS so I know I can't, but I am curious as to how people that can and are able to go about it)

First it helps to have a marching background.....preferrably in corps. Depending on what you judge, a bachelor's degree or preferrably a masters degree in music would be highly suggested and required.

Start by making practice tapes. You can do this in the crowd or on the sideline on the field, depending on the venue. Get yourself a little recorder and some tapes or a digital recorder.

Depending on what you are judging, make sure that you have obtained a copy of the sheets used for that particular show and that you understand, completely, inside and out, the criteria and lexicon used for the caption in which you are judging.

You might want to start by judging marching bands in the fall (from the sideline or crowd), get some experience judging indoor stuff and during the DCI season. During the DCI season, start with open class and earlier in the season with World Class. Keep making tape after tape and continue to comb over the criteria. You can even do this with videos of marching bands, indoor guards and percussion, as well as DCI. You will be working on creating a judging philosophy based off of the criteria.

Again, practice tapes are a must. Pick a caption that you want to judge and go at it. I would start with marching season, send tapes in and have them reviewed and critiqued. Take that critique and then make practice tapes during indoor season. Send those tapes in and have them reviewed and critiqued. Take that critique and then do the drum corps season. It may take some time. I would suggest that you send the tapes directly to DCI. You may want to send them to Gary Markham, but I would call to find out exactly who is to get your tapes, because there are different head judges for each caption. Eventually, depending on your success rate, you will be put on the field or in the box to do practice tapes. Don't quote me on this, but I have asked these questions with local DCI judges that I am in contact with on a regular basis.

You may also keep an eye open for any judging seminars that are offered. You may also want to speak directly to a judge, if you have the contact to do so.

Keep at it, adjust and learn. By all means leave your bias at the door.(wish judges today could do that). Keep in mind that you are there to provide growth, not give criticism, nor tell the designers how to design. Be entertained and reward and provide suggestions for growth based off of the criteria on the back of the sheets.

If anyone out there can answer this better.....please do, as I do not want to completely mislead this young man.

Good luck!

Post continually on DCP.

Wow. Someone seems a little pissy today.

Jeff Mitchell has lurked on DCP in the past...if he's still around, hopefully he'll chime in

The best avenue to prepare oneself to become a future DCI judge when you are young is to secure your high school diploma and to then to join the Ringling Bros. Circus for 36 months.

Edited by BRASSO

First it helps to have a marching background.....preferrably in corps. Depending on what you judge, a bachelor's degree or preferrably a masters degree in music would be highly suggested and required.

Start by making practice tapes. You can do this in the crowd or on the sideline on the field, depending on the venue. Get yourself a little recorder and some tapes or a digital recorder.

Depending on what you are judging, make sure that you have obtained a copy of the sheets used for that particular show and that you understand, completely, inside and out, the criteria and lexicon used for the caption in which you are judging.

You might want to start by judging marching bands in the fall (from the sideline or crowd), get some experience judging indoor stuff and during the DCI season. During the DCI season, start with open class and earlier in the season with World Class. Keep making tape after tape and continue to comb over the criteria. You can even do this with videos of marching bands, indoor guards and percussion, as well as DCI. You will be working on creating a judging philosophy based off of the criteria.

Again, practice tapes are a must. Pick a caption that you want to judge and go at it. I would start with marching season, send tapes in and have them reviewed and critiqued. Take that critique and then make practice tapes during indoor season. Send those tapes in and have them reviewed and critiqued. Take that critique and then do the drum corps season. It may take some time. I would suggest that you send the tapes directly to DCI. You may want to send them to Gary Markham, but I would call to find out exactly who is to get your tapes, because there are different head judges for each caption. Eventually, depending on your success rate, you will be put on the field or in the box to do practice tapes. Don't quote me on this, but I have asked these questions with local DCI judges that I am in contact with on a regular basis.

You may also keep an eye open for any judging seminars that are offered. You may also want to speak directly to a judge, if you have the contact to do so.

Keep at it, adjust and learn. By all means leave your bias at the door.(wish judges today could do that). Keep in mind that you are there to provide growth, not give criticism, nor tell the designers how to design. Be entertained and reward and provide suggestions for growth based off of the criteria on the back of the sheets.

If anyone out there can answer this better.....please do, as I do not want to completely mislead this young man.

Good luck!

Thankyou, that was a ton of info that is much appreciated. Sounds like I could start making a few tapes on any free saturday night; once i'm in college and get a little more educated on Drill and Music of course.

Thankyou, that was a ton of info that is much appreciated. Sounds like I could start making a few tapes on any free saturday night; once i'm in college and get a little more educated on Drill and Music of course.

Nice Guy provided very good advice. You could also make practise tapes on other performing arts as well. At the beginning of each tape, state your name, the date and where you are. Sometimes I was so nervous that I forgot my name! All the best to you 76strad :-)...um...Do it! Don't know till ya try.