Atlanta Review

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I got to Bostons review I thought they had one the whole thing. Good thing your not a judge huh Marie K?

Your rite, you'd think they one.

But maybe this persen thought Bostons to or some thing lower.

hard to no.

Once I got to Bostons review I thought they had one the whole thing. Good thing your not a judge huh Marie K?

Well obviously I don't think Boston should have WON the whole thing. At the end of my review I put them in seventh or eighth. I do think that Boston's show has flaws but I am not going to sit here and talk crap about "my" drum corps. That would be like you talking crap about your family on a forum. It is not going to happen.

Edited by BACsader

No one expects you or anyone else to talk bad about "their" corp. Hyping them over Phantom or any other corp above them is funny especially when the gap is so large. Boston is better than the score indicates but making it sound like they are far better than Phantom loses credibility.

The talent level this year is better (imo) than it has been in the past couple of years.

Edited by Phantombari1

As for why the judges gave SCV a better Visual GE than you expected, I might suggest that it's not so much for the execution as for the design, which is imaginative and often brilliantly "right", especially when taken as a visualization of Bartok's magical sounds.

A judge well-versed in visual design and/or choreography will see exactly what's going on in that show, and be rightfully generous with the points.

No one expects you or anyone else to talk bad about "their" corp. Hyping them over Phantom or any other corp above them is funny especially when the gap is so large. Boston is better than the score indicates but making it sound like they are far better than Phantom loses credibility.

The talent level this year is better (imo) than it has been in the past couple of years.

I really think you need to look at my review again. I didn't hype Boston above Phantom because at the end of my review I placed Phantom above Boston.

As for GE visual I agree that it is design and execution of the design. However, SCV's technique is very weak and imo their drill isn't exciting. At no point during their show was I thinking that "wow, that was impressive" when it came to their visual design. GE is the ability to draw out emotion and SCV failed to do that more than all of the corps I reviewed.

Is anyone else amused that PhantomBari and BACsader are arguing over whether BAC or Phantom were better?

I really think you need to look at my review again. I didn't hype Boston above Phantom because at the end of my review I placed Phantom above Boston.

As for GE visual I agree that it is design and execution of the design. However, SCV's technique is very weak and imo their drill isn't exciting. At no point during their show was I thinking that "wow, that was impressive" when it came to their visual design. GE is the ability to draw out emotion and SCV failed to do that more than all of the corps I reviewed.

Well, I guess it depends on how many feelings you have available, and make available.

Personally, I'm not only open to "excitement", the usual thrilled-bored-happy-mad stuff, but also to the more layered feelings that come out of especially good music and imagery.

For me, the SCV show works on so many more levels than most shows, that it's like switching from kid's books to grown-up books, or from cartoons to grown-up film drama. I saw, heard, and felt beautiful connections going on all over the field -- the "Game of Pairs" section was especially wonderful -- that appealed to me in ways that are almost unexplainable, and seemed to climb inside of Bartok's music in a way that was totally right.

This is not a bad thing -- it's a very good thing.

Emotion is as emotion does. I can't see any reason why a drum corps creation, like any other art form, can't appeal to more layered, subtle, and, yes, adult kinds of emotion. It's just as real as jumping around and screaming and shouting.

Your rite, you'd think they one.

But maybe this persen thought Bostons to or some thing lower.

hard to no.

BRASSO, you crack me up!!!!! And, once again, your paricular brand of humor went right over his head!

:thumbup: