New High Score at Finals?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since margins, not raw scores, are what *really* matter in our scoring system, it would seem that a record high score at least in some part will happen or not happen based on the scores that came before it.

To summarize my mess of thoughts, we as fans must demand the answer to this question from DCI's judges: Is Blue Devils 2010 REALLY better than "Frameworks" or "The Zone?"

There's the problem with judging. It doesn't matter. What makes a high score is the spreads. If the Bluecoats/Cavies (2 corps that could very well be in 2nd) achieve success/spreads at a 98, and the judges collectively determine BD to be 1.5 points better, than the Blue team gets a 99.5.

In my personal and in no way professional opinion, I think Cadets 2005, while not a favorite show of mine, was far superior to Cavies 02. But shows can't be compared year to year so it's pointless to say "Is x better than y 8 years later?"

The mirrors are something drum corps has never seen before, so innovation points are through the roof. The music takes some getting used to, but it's great. AND CLEAN! Drill is clean, whatever drill there is :)

I don't mean to pick on anyone, have a contrary opinion, or offend, because after all this is DCP, but...Pioneer, yes Pioneer, had mirrors on the field in 2008. Yep, 11 of them, on wheels, and they moved them around. Check it out for yourself on the fan network if you have access.

Just sayin'

Peace

It's gona happen every once in a while...we're sill "good" .

2002 Cavaliers guard irked the bejeezus out of me..Flags did the exact same technique throughout the entire show, set up for the same effect and the only diversity came when they did the "fight club" nonsense........

Blue Devils in 2002 should have won colorguard..not the show, but guard, yes. If you were to equate guard work to music score, BD played many more notes and at different tempos and technoques, going for varied approaches for effect and their staging was very exposed.

but back to BD 2010 vs Cavaliers 2002 for my basis of the statement. While I still need a live read on Blue Devils...from what I see the wrok is just so much more complex, utilizing multiple techniques, a variety of inovsative styles and presentations and a much more complex interaction with the theme....tons more in terms of physical demand also.

And Brass ?? Forget about it...we all know playing jazz is hard, selling it is even harder. This show cooks..and there is source music to compare it too. "Frameworks" was an original score, a study in whole average score and nothing really clever or unique. THe fact that it was oroginal made it more unique than what was actually being played.

just my take on things.

G

My biggest problem with the Cavs' guard in 02 is that their flag work was dirty. Not terrible by any means, but certainly not a perfect 20, not even when taking the importance of spreads into consideration.

Otherwise I thought Cavs 02 was really legit. Cadets 05 and BD 2010 are equally legit, but for different reasons.

2002 Cavaliers guard ... did the exact same technique throughout the entire show, set up for the same effect and the only diversity came when they did the "fight club" nonsense

But very enjoyable nonsense it was.

"Frameworks" was an original score ... and nothing really clever or unique.

Agreed on the unmemorable music. But I didn't care for "Four Corners" either. I much prefer the "Spin Cycle" music -- was that also original?

Since margins, not raw scores, are what *really* matter in our scoring system, it would seem that a record high score at least in some part will happen or not happen based on the scores that came before it.

I was thinking about this the other night. How much do the 2002 Cavies and 2005 Cadets owe to the 2002 Blue Devils and 2005 Cavies (respectively)? How much should last year's Blue Devils thank Crown for bringing it on finals night (not that BD didn't bring it, mind you).

As much as I'd be bummed to see BD break the record ('cause the show just doesn't move me in any way, shape or form), it is a game of spreads. If the judges deem them to be 2 points ahead of the Bluecoats and the Bluecoats post a 97.9, well then...

There ya' have it.

Not trying to take anything away from any corps, but at the end of the day, scores are just that. I enjoy the 2000 Cadets more than 2005. I enjoy 2004 Cavies more than 2002. I enjoy '94 Devs more than 2009.