How would you rate the judging this year?

Rate the judging  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Overall how do you feel about judging this year?

• Excellent - Almost always right
    • Good - Mostly right on
    • Average - Hit or miss
    • Fair - Lacking in consistency
    • Poor - Showing favoritism or incompetence
    • Other

I gave them "Fair - Lacking in consistency". That's the best I could give them. And it's not even their fault. It's the Chief Judges fault and those who train the judges we have in DCI.

Rank and Rate is the biggest steam pile of .............. that I've ever heard of

There are box criteria written right on the page. It shows you how to score a corps based on that criteria. If more than one corps deserves a box 4 at 8.6 ......... then give them both 8.6's. It's really NOT that hard to follow the sheet and give the proper score where appropriate.

If this were done, AS IT SHOULD BE DONE, there would be far more parity in DCI.

2 captions that need to be rewritten:

GE MUSIC

ENSEMBLE MUSIC

They're both heavily weighted in visual in the judges minds ... it's pretty obvious. Rewrite the sheets and make it about the music. PERIOD!

So it's not really the judges fault .. it's the Chief Judge and trainers who set the tone for how each caption should be judged .. and I'm sure that Rank and Rate rolls off their tongues like buttah. mEH

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh boy, another thinly veiled BD-bashing thread....lemme guess, all those that voted judging was poor are really saying how they feel about BD and their show and how it is scored:BARF...(Thanks ATLvet, too hilarious to not steal !!)

G

Umm...no one bashed the Blue Devils, in fact, YOU were the one that brought it up. It's really getting annoying how you try to turn every thread into a "Oh my, another way for people to bash BD" and I know that I'm not the only one around here that's getting annoyed by your attitude lately.

No one mentioned BD, you were the first. I know you're a huge fan, but please, don't try and say that every thread is bashing BD.

There are tons of consistency problems this year. At Atlanta, Blue Stars had GE scores that put them in 5th and 8th, Cavaliers had GE vis. scores that were 2nd and 5th. I don't really see how the two judges can be that far apart on it. And when you see corps where one caption is way higher than their placement, or much lower than their placement. Phantom had a 3rd place percussion score, but were in 6th. Santa Clara had a 10th place percussion and placed 7th. Shouldn't most of the caption scores line up with your placement? The farther you go down the rankings, the more spreads between corps placement and caption placement.

don't you think it's likely that all sections of the show and all parts of the design are not at the same level?

Now, with 2 judges scoring the same caption significantly differently, I agree there are issues with that.

yes. And, I wonder how many that dont care for the BD show are equating its scores to bad judging ??

G

It's a good question that nobody knows. I'd guess a little less than half though. I can't speak for others here, but I think their 1st place scores are warranted. But I also put them in my throughly meh category for enjoyment. The show music does not connect well with the outer lobe of my ears... and unfortuately, as the sound trickles down my earlobe into the inner ear cavity canal, and then into the central nervous system, the neuron fibers of my brain go into electric shock calling me out to stop with that racket..... I wish it were not so. But who's to argue with one's central nervous system ? Surely, not I.

Edited by BRASSO

oh boy, another thinly veiled BD-bashing thread....lemme guess, all those that voted judging was poor are really saying how they feel about BD and their show and how it is scored:BARF...(Thanks ATLvet, too hilarious to not steal !!)

G

not every thread is about BD, sorry. They have their own forums for that, maybe you can go there.

Umm...no one bashed the Blue Devils, in fact, YOU were the one that brought it up. It's really getting annoying how you try to turn every thread into a "Oh my, another way for people to bash BD" and I know that I'm not the only one around here that's getting annoyed by your attitude lately.

Ha ha...show me where I'm wrong. Funny, Im already annoyed by your attitude.

G

I'm not the biggest fan of BD's show, however, I voted "good"....BD is a fine corps this year, whether you like their show design or not. The judging has been IMO pretty good this year...I would actually say its been better than in recent years. Every now and then there is a spread or MAYBE one corps put over another that I disagree with, but that happens.

Dictating no, but influencing certainly. Making really good tapes for th staff has little to do with the final score when most corps are already slotted.

scores matter so little in the whole scope of things. Two scores matter in this entire season...

1. The score difference between 17th place corps in QFs and the 18th place corps

2. The score difference between the 12th and the 13th place corps in SFs.

All other scores are inconsequential to me. Maybe they bother the corps, their staffs, and whatever.

But, 18th place doesn't get to perform on Friday. Their season ends on Thursday night.

and 13th place corps season ends on Friday and doesn't get to perform at the last show of the season.

scores matter so little in the whole scope of things. Two scores matter in this entire season...

1. The score difference between 17th place corps in QFs and the 18th place corps

2. The score difference between the 12th and the 13th place corps in SFs.

All other scores are inconsequential to me. Maybe they bother the corps, their staffs, and whatever.

But, 18th place doesn't get to perform on Friday. Their season ends on Thursday night.

and 13th place corps season ends on Friday and doesn't get to perform at the last show of the season.

I can't think of any competitive activity off the top of my head where the competition for 1st place among so many fans apparently means so little a couple of weeks out from the playoffs and the Title matchup.

Also, almost half the fans here are rating the judging performances this year as " fair to poor".

If I came home from school with a " fair to poor " remarks on my report card, my parents would send me to remedial classes pronto. Maybe DCI should consider remedial training classes for some of the judges...... ( which I suppose is at least better than the infliction of corporal punishment, and the removal of their allowance, anyway)

Edited by BRASSO