How close is DCA to having amps/electronics?

I think you might need to check that stats as to whether DCA is growing. Aren't several corps inactive? You cannot count them. DCA and DCI are both holding there own. That is the only true fact that can be stated here.

Amps/ electronics will come to DCA because all of the instructors and arrangers like amps/ electronics for what they can add to the production. Listen to the miked pit. It is a hundred times better and truly adds to the sound. You can say that the DCA instructors would not agree to amps/ electronics, but the old guard won't be there forever and as the younger guys/gals replace them they will want to use them. It may be several years, but DCA will have amps and synthesizers. It is inevitable.

what's funny is the "old guard" you refer to is also involved with WGI and DCI corps.

:blink:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

electronics has never been voted out of the caucuses for consideration... the subject has been brought up by percussion instructors... but the percussion vote was unanimous not to even ask that it be considered...

now... one thing this old brain has learned is NEVER say NEVER...

but I think it's pretty obvious that it will not happen anytime soon and probably never...

Someone did point out that many of the arrangers, instructors and judges work with DCI and may be influenced by this. This is VERY true. Frankly, drum corps is drum corps and many, many work both sides of the street - heck, I was with a DCI corps (Division II champion) from 1979 till 2002 and I did stints with 2 world class corps after that, but that doesn't mean that I think the amplification is successful, appropriate or in the best interest of the activity. I suspect that my reasons will surprise some...

I do not object because I'm old or opposed to change. I am actually very quick to accept that changes are inevitable in life.

However, and these are strictly personal observations:

1. Corps are broke (financially). DCA corps are not in any position to vote in something that would cost thousands of dollars. Unlike the elite of DCI, we would not have vendors throwing equipment at us for free or severely discounted - won't happen - so we must avoid the risk of tipping the financial scales even further in the negative direction.

2. The success of what has been done is very spotty - I don't know why the judges aren't lambasting some pretty wonderful drum corps for some very bad balance problems all controlled by one sound man. I personally expected the "elite" to do a much better job with amplification and am totally underwhelmed to this point.

3. I am inherently against anything that artificially makes up for performers. Yes some pit players are performers - agreed... but a keyboard or bass guitar that can be amped to make the same sound as 10 contrabasses is a VERY dangerous thing to legalize. Where do we draw the line? Do we save drum corps by knocking it down to 6 players in the pit being controlled by a sound expert handling 10's of thousands of dollars of sound equipment playing on synthesizers that come out sounding just like the corps?

I'm a defender of change... maybe because of the closer relationship to the HS band and college band movement, DCI was ready for this, but I don't see it happening any time soon on the DCA side of the street.

A VERY well thought out and composed response, Tom......

Joe

DCI brought in Bb instruments so that horn lines could play in tune, with good sound. Allbeit, with a little less volume.

But now with amps, and poor quality speakers, they can play loud, but they sound poor.

So, what has been gained here?

If you have to plug it in, it has no place on a football field. :blink:

Now, Field Artillery on the other hand.... :tongue:

electronics has never been voted out of the caucuses for consideration... the subject has been brought up by percussion instructors... but the percussion vote was unanimous not to even ask that it be considered...

now... one thing this old brain has learned is NEVER say NEVER...

but I think it's pretty obvious that it will not happen anytime soon and probably never...

Someone did point out that many of the arrangers, instructors and judges work with DCI and may be influenced by this. This is VERY true. Frankly, drum corps is drum corps and many, many work both sides of the street - heck, I was with a DCI corps (Division II champion) from 1979 till 2002 and I did stints with 2 world class corps after that, but that doesn't mean that I think the amplification is successful, appropriate or in the best interest of the activity. I suspect that my reasons will surprise some...

I do not object because I'm old or opposed to change. I am actually very quick to accept that changes are inevitable in life.

However, and these are strictly personal observations:

1. Corps are broke (financially). DCA corps are not in any position to vote in something that would cost thousands of dollars. Unlike the elite of DCI, we would not have vendors throwing equipment at us for free or severely discounted - won't happen - so we must avoid the risk of tipping the financial scales even further in the negative direction.

2. The success of what has been done is very spotty - I don't know why the judges aren't lambasting some pretty wonderful drum corps for some very bad balance problems all controlled by one sound man. I personally expected the "elite" to do a much better job with amplification and am totally underwhelmed to this point.

3. I am inherently against anything that artificially makes up for performers. Yes some pit players are performers - agreed... but a keyboard or bass guitar that can be amped to make the same sound as 10 contrabasses is a VERY dangerous thing to legalize. Where do we draw the line? Do we save drum corps by knocking it down to 6 players in the pit being controlled by a sound expert handling 10's of thousands of dollars of sound equipment playing on synthesizers that come out sounding just like the corps?

I'm a defender of change... maybe because of the closer relationship to the HS band and college band movement, DCI was ready for this, but I don't see it happening any time soon on the DCA side of the street.

Tom,

Hope you're well and enjoying another great season.

I'm not an electoronics guy - I think our eras coincide pretty precisely - but I did just have a lot of fun including synth in my charts for 7th Regiment from CT - and I'm pretty pleased with the results - moderation in all things.

As to the cost - I loaned them one of my synths. I hope I'll get it back in 3 weeks. :)

disclaimer - the did already have the amplification for the pit.

One final note - and let me stay on record that I agree with you on your comments concerning substituting electronic sounds (which never ..errrr. rarely) get tired after a long rehearsal - for real human musicians - but with the tendency in DCA to down-size (with just a couple of exceptions) a corps like Bushwhackers would take keyboards etc. and write them organically into their show rather than simply doubling bass or trumpet parts, and make it cool. Would it change the ethos? Yes I agree it would, but at what point (25 horns, 22 horns, 18 horns?) do corps start to lose the sound that make a fan happy and if they could jam with 20 horns and electronics, how many more corps can DCA afford to lose in the next couple of years.

Just playing devil's advocate - it's 4am!

Hope it doesn't happen...

Actually the number of corps in DCI has increased. I do not know if it is a trend, but it is a hopeful sign.

Increased?,.................................you're kidding,...................right?,...........................corps attending finals week this year will probobly be the smallest EVER!

I think you might need to check that stats as to whether DCA is growing. Aren't several corps inactive? You cannot count them. DCA and DCI are both holding there own. That is the only true fact that can be stated here.

Amps/ electronics will come to DCA because all of the instructors and arrangers like amps/ electronics for what they can add to the production. Listen to the miked pit. It is a hundred times better and truly adds to the sound. You can say that the DCA instructors would not agree to amps/ electronics, but the old guard won't be there forever and as the younger guys/gals replace them they will want to use them. It may be several years, but DCA will have amps and synthesizers. It is inevitable.

"LIKE" ala Facebook

Amps will make it to DCA.

Actually the number of corps in DCI has increased. I do not know if it is a trend, but it is a hopeful sign.

This is an inaccurate statement.

We do miss you and hope that you might come back one day. I will even give you a ticket if you want one for a show. I can even get you a ticket to finals. Let me know.

I have been to 8 shows already and almost all of them were packed or even sold out.

Really?? Been to two and that wasn't the case

I think your prediction for the demise of DCI is a little premature.

DCI is already dead, they just don't know it. They've confused Brassbands of America with drum corps.

What about the reduction in corps in DCA? I hope this turns around also.

Ain't going to happen. The movement is going into a decline and because of a number of things one of which is the lack of a "Junior" drum corps presence. This presence for decades provided a new group of people to march seniors every year, I can't see it turning around.

I just wish that both groups and their supporters could be together ans support one another.

We would if they both would focus on the paying public and doing drum corps, not marching bands, it's not hard or complicated. If you take the artform away from the public, do not have a system that provides support and resources, it won't happen.

Edited by ereese

what's funny is the "old guard" you refer to is also involved with WGI and DCI corps.

:thumbup:

Actually you are correct. I just think that as the "younger" generation comes to power they will be used to using electronics and they will; even in DCA.

Increased?,.................................you're kidding,...................right?,...........................corps attending finals week this year will probobly be the smallest EVER!

There are more World class corps this year than last (23 vs. 22).

There were four (I believe that I am correct) new entries into the Open class division.

That is more than last year. I didn't say we were at 1970's numbers, but the numbers have increased. I wish there were more corps, but if you need to you can check this at dci.org.