My $.02 on the state of drum corps after Murfreesboro

3) Why do the Cavaliers seem to have a monopoly on arresting rifle/flag tosses? It adds such a cool effect to shows, and no one else seems to do it. Regarding Cavies show, a lot of people talk about show concept/themes nowadays. I work in a concept heavy business (advertising). Now, that being said, what the heck was the concept for their show? Was it anger? Was it a Full Metal Jacket homage? It seemed hackneyed conceptually. Especially with the "Mad World" pop song being thrown in there....Maybe it was madness, but just because a song has the word "mad" in it, doesn't mean it's going to flow together. I give this show concept a "WTF?" Especially with the masks at the end in the guard. What the heck was that anyway?

I went with where a soilder was remembering what he had gone through and all, then in the whole expanding/contracting circles and the guard with masks on, the soilder went crazy. Then at the end I went with that he is now back to normal and what not etc.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have. And I'm aware of how obnoxious the entire collection is. Yet most of those tracks have rhythmic backbones with slow high-hats or hard driving jazz swings behind the mix of eclectic melodies. While on the field, the Blue Devils have scatter sets to the next thought, never settling in on what their trying to push across to the viewer/listener. I appreciate interpretation, but it's twisted into something even more radical that what Graettinger had in mind, which isn't something I personally feel is well-received. (Aside from the outrageous scoring of course despite most of them--come on, be honest with yourself-- probably never listening to this stuff in their spare time.)

Well, I don't think the music is something that is supposed to be listened to "in your spare time." It is complex, extremely intricate music that is very much a spectacle when seen live...... exactly like the Blue Devils 2010 show!

I think every new marching member and staff member coming into DCI should have to watch, as a part of an indoctrination, the 1995 Madison Scouts Finals performance. The title of the flick would be simple, "What is drum corps? Just watch!" That should be the number one goal of any drum corps, marching member and staff member. To get that crowd reaction, to display that passion, performance, power, and pure raw emotion.

Haven't we long ago proven time and time again, the fans don't care about if you won or not? It's that performance that they remember more than anything else. It's that moment in time, they remember. I am not about arguing old school vs. new school. I am done arguing that point.

I will keep it simple. I want to be entertained like I use to be in this activity (generally speaking). Old school and new school can co-exist (see Scouts this year). Make all the new rules or changes you want. Just make them work and make them entertain me and the rest of us hard core drum corps fans alike.

:thumbup::worthy::worthy:

on #6, you forgot every drum break must end with unison slams played from above the head.

Awesome quarter note sfz "Monkey Drumming" at it's finest. :thumbup::worthy:

To the original post...well said and Bravo!

And as far as 1995 Madison Goes...there may never be another performance like that one...Wow...and that' is what DCI has let die...sad! I can only remember that it seemed like the crowd never sat down...they may not have been the best Corps technically...but between 95 and 88 amazing...raw passion...balls to the wall Drum Corps those were what shows were about...and that's what DCI should be today!

Edited by Eric M. Buckman

Have you any other opinion to offer or are you stuck on whining about BD? :thumbup: I am not certain that Allentown is a great indicator of anything except Allentown. Of course, you could come to Standford or UOP and here a completely different reaction. But clearly, Standford and UOP venues would never attract anyone that might know anything about Drum Corp. Well except for SCV, BD, Mandarins, Crusade.... etc... And you are more than entitled to your opinion and market research with your sample size of one. Lol. Go BD! If anything, posts like this make me even more of a BD fan. Except for on the field, they are definitely the underdog.

Welcome to the world of the Cadets. When you are on top people are going to try and knock you down. They are doing something different and getting the reaction they choose to receive. That isn't bad or good, it just is what it is. When they talk about jazz, they aren't talking obscure versions that need liner notes for people to understand. Go back to the 70s and 80s and listen to what they did. Musical genious. Maybe this show is too, I haven't heard it, so can't say its not.

I strongly suggest that you make another flight out to any show that the Madison Scouts are attending. They have the most genuine "old school" drum corps show out there this year.

Amen to that--I saw them in Louisville earlier this summer and even at that stage they had one of the most accessible and entertaining shows.

If anything, posts like this make me even more of a BD fan. Except for on the field, they are definitely the underdog.

:thumbup:

Perfect!

Edited by Mellofello01