SOUVIES

Maybe this will open a can of worms that shouldnt be but there was so much talk in the beginning of the season with people who very strongly felt they had the right to " discuss " the state of drum corps and certain corps opinions on that with souvie volunteers. There were so many heated arguments and threads on the subject and now nothing?

How did that work out for all who were approaching volunteers?

Souvie sales hurting? ( wheather it be econmy or otherwise?)

Also there ws alot of the booing people who felt it was necessary to make a point. Did those people follow through with what seemed to be a very passionate stance on their opinions?

Just curious

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this will open a can of worms that shouldnt be but there was so much talk in the beginning of the season with people who very strongly felt they had the right to " discuss " the state of drum corps and certain corps opinions on that with souvie volunteers. There were so many heated arguments and threads on the subject and now nothing?

How did that work out for all who were approaching volunteers?

Souvie sales hurting? ( wheather it be econmy or otherwise?)

Also there ws alot of the booing people who felt it was necessary to make a point. Did those people follow through with what seemed to be a very passionate stance on their opinions?

Just curious

Inquiring minds REALLY want to know this answer. Anyone remember who was planning to be confrontational?

I'm not confrontational, but I'm planning on using any opportunities I have to slip in my 2 cents. Allentown is my first show.

so, I saw some drum corps during the last few days, and took into account the varying views in this forum over the summer. I did talk to some souvie people... I just said that I was at the showing spending a few hundred dollars to support drum corps today, but unfortunately because of the G7 proposal, I have decided that I will not buy anything from your souvie booth since your corps is trying to hurt the activity. Then I walked away.

so, I saw some drum corps during the last few days, and took into account the varying views in this forum over the summer. I did talk to some souvie people... I just said that I was at the showing spending a few hundred dollars to support drum corps today, but unfortunately because of the G7 proposal, I have decided that I will not buy anything from your souvie booth since your corps is trying to hurt the activity. Then I walked away.

Here is why what you did will have no impact whatsoever:

a) The souvie people you spoke with are more than likely not aware of the G7 proposal. They, like the performers, live in sort of a bubble during the summer.

b) The souvie people that you spoke with will now do nothing more than ask someone on the administrative level of their respective corps about the G7

c) The administrative person will reply to those souvie people with the generic PR language presented on all of the G7 websites.

d) The souvie people will then think that you were very weird and out to lunch with your comments to them.

e) And you will have changed the face of DCI forever :)

The G7 corps will be watching to see if souvie sales are off compared to other corps, where they have some way of gauging that. They're not going to give a rat's patootie whether the volunteers staffing the souvie wagon were hassled or whether negative notes were slipped in the fuel fund can. What difference does that make? They know they're going to lose part of their fan base. They think it's worth the risk. If you disagree, don't buy their stuff, don't contribute in response to fundraising appeals, and consider emailing the director and calmly, rationally, and politely saying why and urging them to reconsider. No, that probably won't matter, either, because again, they know they'll lose some fans, but it's certainly got some chance of having a more positive result than rude/aggressive/anonymous confrontation.

The G7 proposals do not give fans who disagree with them a license to be rude. Be an adult when you express your viewpoint.

The G7 corps will be watching to see if souvie sales are off compared to other corps, where they have some way of gauging that. They're not going to give a rat's patootie whether the volunteers staffing the souvie wagon were hassled or whether negative notes were slipped in the fuel fund can. What difference does that make? They know they're going to lose part of their fan base. They think it's worth the risk. If you disagree, don't buy their stuff, don't contribute in response to fundraising appeals, and consider emailing the director and calmly, rationally, and politely saying why and urging them to reconsider. No, that probably won't matter, either, because again, they know they'll lose some fans, but it's certainly got some chance of having a more positive result than rude/aggressive/anonymous confrontation.

The G7 proposals do not give fans who disagree with them a license to be rude. Be an adult when you express your viewpoint.

If souvie sales are down for the G7, will they really make the connection between their actions and their sales results?