SOUVIES

I like this line of thought.

Lets go right to a kids parent or former alumnus and complain to them about a discussion that they didn't make. Kind of like complaining to the Wal-Mart cashier about corporate practices or the cell phone salesmen about data plan changes... When the actual decision was made by a multi millionaire.

I love this line of thinking, yell/be rude to the lowest of the totem poll... that will show the powerful!!!!

REALLY?

Heck, this is worse then the minimum wage Wal-Mart cashier. Your complaining to somebody stepping away from their normal life to help raise funds for an organization. G7 (can't stand for the record) or non G7. Low class and ultimately a waste of time that makes only the complainer look bad.

Why not voice you concerns to where it needs to go, straight to the top, not the souvie women? You don't want to buy a Cadet T-Shirt... Fine, great.... I'll back you BUT no need to be rude to those that bust their rump working during the summer.

Edited by CloudHype

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this line of thought.

Lets go right to a kids parent or former alumnus and complain to them about a discussion that they didn't make. Kind of like complaining to the Wal-Mart cashier about corporate practices or the cell phone salesmen about data plan changes... When the actual decision was made by a multi millionaire.

I love this line of thinking, yell/be rude to the lowest of the totem poll... that will show the powerful!!!!

REALLY?

Heck, this is worse then the minimum wage Wal-Mart cashier. Your complaining to somebody stepping away from their normal life to help raise funds for an organization. G7 (can't stand for the record) or non G7. Low class and ultimately a waste of time that makes only the complainer look bad.

Why not voice you concerns to where it needs to go, straight to the top, not the souvie women? You don't want to buy a Cadet T-Shirt... Fine, great.... I'll back you BUT no need to be rude to those that bust their rump working during the summer.

If the management is putting their public presence in a position to take abuse, it is the fault of management, not of the people who are unhappy. As management, it is your responsibility to put your workers in a position to succeed.

If the WalMart guy quits, they can just hire someone else. No trouble at all. Not the same to find volunteers to ride on the road all summer selling souvies.

Edited by soccerguy315

Is it perhaps because they think the current business model is failing? I work for a performing arts organization that has announced a big change that it knows will cause some current patrons to leave. That's not ideal, but the alternative appeared to be going out of business.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think this is a comparable situation. I am guessing that your organization got to a point where they could no longer operate and stay in the black. You did some research, maybe hired a consultant, and determined that if you switched from, say Benny Goodwin sing-a-longs to Taylor Swift karaoke you would lose some of over-70 crowd but would more than make up for it with a larger 20 something base. You are deciding to switch one from one patron base to another. My question is who/where are the patrons they are switching to? The G7 are just taking steps that will give themselves more power and prestige (in the short term). They are not suggesting these proposals to help "save a failing business model." By all accounts DCI is doing ok in these recessionary times. If the G7 was so concerned about the current model failing they might suggest a less extensive travel schedule, a reduction of the number of staff members, a reduction of expensive equipment/props or this new endeavor within the confines of the existing DCI structure. Instead these proposals will help these particular corps at the expense of (and quite possible the demise of) all of the other corps. Competition depends on having competitors. The G7 are trying to give themselves such huge advantages that eventually there will be no other competitors to compete against.

If the management is putting their public presence in a position to take abuse, it is the fault of management, not of the people who are unhappy. As management, it is your responsibility to put your workers in a position to succeed.

If the WalMart guy quits, they can just hire someone else. No trouble at all. Not the same to find volunteers to ride on the road all summer selling souvies.

Your obviously have no clue on what you are talking about at all and have no experience working with the public or being a part of a service industry. You will come off as nothing but a jerk in your unmoral crusade of yelling at a volunteers. Ultimately, you're doing nothing but making other anti G7 people (like myself) look bad.

Do us a favor and simply not buy a T Shirt.

Edited by CloudHype

Oh... I just realized what your trying to do.

Being such a jerk to volunteers that they quit.

Classy!!!!

Edited by CloudHype

a) The souvie people you spoke with are more than likely not aware of the G7 proposal. They, like the performers, live in sort of a bubble during the summer.

This is simply not true!!!

It is not that... it is a money grab.

And with money comes advantages- money to pay better/more staff and/or consultants, ability to provide a better summer experience for the kids, better equipment, ability to react quicker to events/necessary changes during the summer, ability to buy more expensive costuming, etc.

so, I saw some drum corps during the last few days, and took into account the varying views in this forum over the summer. I did talk to some souvie people... I just said that I was at the showing spending a few hundred dollars to support drum corps today, but unfortunately because of the G7 proposal, I have decided that I will not buy anything from your souvie booth since your corps is trying to hurt the activity. Then I walked away.

Classy.