SCV Still dropping

What I think is more important is that SCV is re-establishing themselves as risk takers ... It will attract new membership that wants to be on the cutting edge. My hat is off to SCV's performers, staff, and administration. I love what you're doing and look forward to seeing this program blossom into it's full potential in short order. Congrats and best of luck moving forward!

I couldn't agree with you more.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things:

MANY SCV corps didn't "only" come in 2nd place. In fact, the majority of them didn't. Does that make them less of a corps than when you marched? I personally think one of the years that most embodies SCV is the 1993 corps. They were a corps that was certainly not stacked edit line. Perhaps if you channel your energies in other ways, you will inspire your brothers and sisters rather than shame them.

No shame at all! More of encouragement, and a very personal statement that only we would understand. Thanks for the drum corps lesson. Channel, geez.... :thumbdown:

All, while 7th is the possibly lowest finish for SCV, chances are it will be 6th as Regiment is the usual "dumping" corps in DCI, thus they will finish anywhere from 7-8.

RM

M-12

All, while 7th is the possibly lowest finish for SCV, chances are it will be 6th as Regiment is the usual "dumping" corps in DCI, thus they will finish anywhere from 7-8.

RM

M-12

I could very easily see SCV as low as 8 or 9th!

Edited by brians

...I love Santa Clara. Period. Always have and always will.

GO SCV!!!

Me too! And I would add that anyone worried about SCV's identity should rest assured. Santa Clara's "identity" has always been class and innovation ... and nothing has changed about that.

unfortunately...not this season...I don't...and as much as Ballet for Martha was OK for me last season it still was a departure within their IDENTITY...I see/hear and feel more of Cavaliers in SCV than SCV. Obviously with a coed membership LOL.

It reminds me of professional sports...you really used to be able to identify with a TEAM before free agency...no matter what...the players were your neighbors they worked in the off season in the steel mills(you think its not true it actually is) Pittsburgh Steelers are the same organization and the same IDENTITY they have been from day one...which is the reason why they are the Rolls Royce in the NFL...Players have become interchangeable with free agency...the only thing that remains is the LOGO and the Location...but with the steelers you still have a real Identity in the type of player the bring in and the type of style of play they play.

I get that the uniform or the MUSIC isn't the identity of a TEAM...but it's the INTANGIBLES that make up the identity,how they play, the style they march the ATTITUDE they represent and present. Something I 'm currently lost on with SCV. I think most people may be frustrated with DEVS this year due to the show concept, yet it is clean and played very well...but they still are DEVS...they play a jazz style very well, with a relaxed, confident, in your face feel...from the hornline, John Meehan is the MAN... and the drumline...well just forget it...they know they are THE BEST and when tested they will rise to the occassion and play their ARSES off...more notes, cleanliness with a reckless abandon bigger and badder than anyone else...I could go on about phantom and cadets..etc.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who voiced the opinion that SCV has, in recent years, taken on a Cavies affect. The drill moves, the style, all from Cavies. There were even instances where I recognized some Cavies drill moves literally LIFTED from previous Cavies shows. One was done in reverse, LOL.

But more to the point, why wouldnt this be so? They have the former Cavies Director, and some staff, in the past few years.

Also, this goes to the "identity" thing for me too. I too feel like if you listen to SCV, eyes closed, you can't tell who they are. Unlike BD, Phantom, Madison, Cadets, and many others. It's been like this for some years now.

As for this year, I'm very disappointed in SCV, 'cause I gew up loving them, having them as my standard (perc), and now they score 10TH at Atlanta in perc?

Ugh...!!

There are some cute drill movements, isolated, but in between, there is not much at all, compared to the corps around & above them. Boston has more & harder stuff.

Truth is, IMHO, looking at the sheets, I see SVC in 8th. BS has to clean the visual, and is doing it, but has passed SCV in most musical categores, and can hold their own with them in ones where they are close. The key is in the GE & Vis, which is where BS will clean & pass SCV, barring a miracle.

AJMHO

RM

M-12

* COUGH GAG Spit up my Diet Coke on the screen * As the Bud commerials used to say, "True...True..."

KAC '05-'07 B-25 :thumbdown:

Edited by SCV Biker

As for this year, I'm very disappointed in SCV, 'cause I gew up loving them, having them as my standard (perc), and now they score 10TH at Atlanta in perc?

Ugh...!!

Well, their percussion section is really young this year. There's only one vet in the snareline. THey focused more on establishing a line they can grow with for the next ouple of years instead of filling it with kids who will age-out either this year or next year. There's a plan for everything there.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who voiced the opinion that SCV has, in recent years, taken on a Cavies affect. The drill moves, the style, all from Cavies. There were even instances where I recognized some Cavies drill moves literally LIFTED from previous Cavies shows. One was done in reverse, LOL.

But more to the point, why wouldnt this be so? They have the former Cavies Director, and some staff, in the past few years.

Also, this goes to the "identity" thing for me too. I too feel like if you listen to SCV, eyes closed, you can't tell who they are. Unlike BD, Phantom, Madison, Cadets, and many others. It's been like this for some years now.

Ugh...!!

There are some cute drill movements, isolated, but in between, there is not much at all, compared to the corps around & above them. Boston has more & harder stuff.

Truth is, IMHO, looking at the sheets, I see SVC in 8th. BS has to clean the visual, and is doing it, but has passed SCV in most musical categores, and can hold their own with them in ones where they are close. The key is in the GE & Vis, which is where BS will clean & pass SCV, barring a miracle.

AJMHO

Ohhhhh Noooooo. You're all figuring out the hidden meaning within the Splooie code book .... influence and domination of all things drum corps in a Cavalier way by indoctrination through our 62+ years of infiltrating other corps' by our FMMs, Management, Staff and in some cases DNA !! SCV, Crown, Colts, and on and on. It's a mancharian drum corps takeover masterminded by Don Warren.

/jokinz off

Ohhhhh Noooooo. You're all figuring out the hidden meaning within the Splooie code book .... influence and domination of all things drum corps in a Cavalier way by indoctrination through our 62+ years of infiltrating other corps' by our FMMs, Management, Staff and in some cases DNA !! SCV, Crown, Colts, and on and on. It's a mancharian drum corps takeover masterminded by Don Warren.

/jokinz off

You sir, just made the funniest post of the day.

To everyone freaking out that it's becoming like the Cavaliers, it's because almost all of the visual staff marched and taught Cavaliers, and of course Jeff Fiedler brought in the people he knew were the best for the job. The brass staff and drum staff though are still SCV, born and bred for the most part.