1997 - Blue Devils

1998 - Blue Devils

1999 - Blue Devils

2000 - Cavaliers

2001 - Blue Devils

2002 - Cavaliers

~G~

Wow,

I realized that Scott (Chandler) was good, but......

In looking at that list I realized that since he began teaching in 1982, he has been either the caption head (9 times) or a staff member (1 time) of the Championship Guard almost half of the time (10 times in 21 years). Pretty amazing.....

Later, AA

I believe 75 & 76 was 2-7, 77 was Phantom, 78 was SCV.

Those were the ones announced. Many times there are ties but Best Guard reward goes with the Top GE Score as it should be!!

What I mean is if there is a tie and one corps takes top GE and they both had a 2, it would go to the corps with Top GE. I believe that how it was in 78 anyway, although I do believe SCV did do a much better job that year than we did. Pom Poms for a 4 minute song should hardly be a 2!!! :huh:

I believe they may have had top guard in 74 as well.

Edited by LancerFi

I only have yearbooks going back to '77 (which includes recaps for the '76 season), so I can't help out with '74 or '75. But going by the high GE score from the finals recaps, you can add these to the list:

1976: Blue Devils

1977: Blue Devils

1978: Santa Clara Vanguard

Also, I took notes from the 1978 finals, and wrote down Santa Clara as the winner of the guard award (though, according to the 1978 DCI album liner notes, 27th Lancers' guard did score a perfect 2, along with Santa Clara, that year in finals).

I only have yearbooks going back to '77 (which includes recaps for the '76 season), so I can't help out with '74 or '75. But going by the high GE score from the finals recaps, you can add these to the list:

Also, I took notes from the 1978 finals, and wrote down Santa Clara as the winner of the guard award (though, according to the 1978 DCI album liner notes, 27th Lancers' guard did score a perfect 2, along with Santa Clara, that year in finals).

Thanks...that's not what I mean...BD did win high GE those years, but I believe we maxed out in guard, they did not. Only if there had been a tie with BDs guard would they have been announced instead of us.

I'll look back in our books, I beleive I may be correct. I don't remember BD winning guard in either 76 or 77.

Thanks for your help.

I did know for sure we tied with SCV in 78.

Thanks...that's not what I mean...BD did win high GE those years, but I believe we maxed out in guard, they did not. Only if there had been a tie with BDs guard would they have been announced instead of us.

I'll look back in our books, I beleive I may be correct. I don't remember BD winning guard in either 76 or 77.

Thanks for your help.

I did know for sure we tied with SCV in 78.

Ah, OK. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. So, in other words, the GE score was the tie-breaker if there was a tie between two or more top scores? (Gee, if we had tie-breakers for caption awards, how come we never had such a thing for a first-place tie, overall, until recently? You'd think if it was deemed important enough for caption awards, it would be deemed important for the championship trophy. But I digress. . . .)

OK, so I went back to my yearbooks and read them a bit more closely. It's really irritating, because I don't see a guard caption on the recaps until 1978 . . . and even then, it's only worth a measly 2 points. (I can remember us talking about that in terms of 20 points, to give it a more meaningful ring. Like, if a guard scored 1.7, we said they got a 17.) Unfortunately, I can't find anything that specifies the top guard for 1976 or '77; just '78, with both you and Santa Clara getting the top guard scores (2.0).

Santa Clara's 2.0 surprises me just a bit. I wouldn't have said that till I watched the videotape/DVD of finals that year. Not only did they not have any weapons in their show that year (which, in my opinion, diminishes the overall demand of the equipment work, so I would have a hard time giving that guard as high a score as a guard that does use weapons and executes that equipment well). But there were also what, to my eye, look to be a few timing errors and/or performance breaks that are pretty obvious on the video/DVD. So I would say 27th Lancers (even with the pom-poms; after all, Santa Clara used hoops and a maypole) should've been the winner of the guard award.

We've had this discussion before, but it is too bad that such a fantastic rifle line got relegated to pom-poms for a fairly significant portion of your show. I'm sure it was all in the name of GE, but the guard loses a lot of its power (not to mention one of its trademarks; a great rifle line is one of the things you were known for) during the pom sections.

I don't doubt that Two-Seven got best guard in '76 and '77. I just can't find it documented in my yearbooks . . . though there's certainly no shortage of praise of the fine guards 27th Lancers always had. It was probably mentioned on the album liner notes for those years, but I don't have them. And it's not mentioned in the "Legacy" DVD liner notes.

Edited by byline

I believe we did have high guard in 76 and believe Phantom beat us in 77...although I could be remembering wrong. I had thought we won all 5 years that I marched except 78, and that I thought we had lost to Phantom not SCV.

Our concert in 78 was truly outrageous as far as the 19 red jackets go, it really was good enough to cover the pom poms, but now I digress...

I remember clearly Best Guard being announced, because we began getting a little jaded, but don't remember what year that began. However in our yearbooks it does mention in each of them when we took top guard home. So I will investigate and get back to you.

By the way the same thing happened for drum lines, or something along those lines, for instance Spirit tied for top drums (I believe execution) but it was announced in 80 as fill in the blank, was it BD, or Bridgemen? as winning, because they had topped the GE out in that caption. Very confusing I guess.

We each won 1 caption, actually we won 2 that year, (if we could have actually called it a caption then) GE and Guard, but I don't think it was the tie breaker. The next best score was a 1.9......

Edited by LancerFi

byline

"OK, so I went back to my yearbooks and read them a bit more closely. It's really irritating, because I don't see a guard caption on the recaps until 1978 . . . and even then, it's only worth a measly 2 points. (I can remember us talking about that in terms of 20 points, to give it a more meaningful ring. Like, if a guard scored 1.7, we said they got a 17.)"

That was a very good way to think about it. I usually thought of it in terms of GE.

I have to tell you in both 79 and 80 I won many wars for the guard because of those 2 points. Being able to leave the field last was one of them. The contra line as well as the bass drummers thought they should leave last.

When I explained that we were only worth 2 points, (they forgot we were figured into the GE) they thought about it and agreed, that would be our consolation for all of that work and so little points.....oh diplomacy at it's best, and young guys being so trusting, actually there were some young and some my age! :P

We had made up a whole exhibition (LOL) for leaving the field, kind of a rifle solo if you will! :huh:

I believe we did have high guard in 76 and believe Phantom beat us in 77...although I could be remembering wrong.  I had thought we won all 5 years that I marched except 78, and that I thought we had lost to Phantom not SCV.

Well, this is interesting. I did a Google search and found an old RAMD posting, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. The posting lists 27th Lancers winning best guard in '75, Blue Devils winning in '76, and unfortunately, '77 is blank. And she even has a question mark by one of the guards she marched, Santa Clara, in '78. (She also marched Blue Devils' guard.) So I'm not sure that this does anything to solve the mystery: Championship Color Guards @ DCI

Edited by byline