Carolina Crown New Ending?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't listen to drum corps to exercise my music theory skills. :lookaround:

Bingo. I think looking to drum corps to hear the finest in music composition and performance is like going to Qdoba to enjoy the finest in cuisine. It's still good, but a different kind of good.

Edited by I Like Drum Corps

And had Crown replaced the first ending with a good ending, there would have been much applause. Replacing a mediocre ending with another mediocre ending is not cause for rejoicing. If folks are complaining about a weak ending, replacing it with another weak ending doesn't address the problem, so one should expect the complaints to continue.

The short version: Just because the ending is new doesn't make it any better.

Don't let the name fool you, and next time you want to quote me, use the whole quote.

Blue Devils....blowing everyone away with their harmonic complexity (some call it noise...I love it)

Then Bloo. Their show ought to be titled "Metropolis in g minor 9" plenty of close harmony, and jazzy extensions (mostly 9, #11 and 13). Asphalt Cocktail is an entirely different harmonic language unto itself, and very fresh. Its not just parallel minor seconds...it's everything going on underneath those "melodies"

Then Cavies.

Hmmm...the order looks familiar. But what do I know? I'm just a fan like the rest of you.

I like the variety and uncommon keys as well (or atleast what I interpret to be uncommon...maybe I just relate dissonance to uncommon lol)...Anyway, even though I majored in music for a year and stumbled my way through a couple of semesters of music theory, I'm looking at you with the same dumbfounded look people at work use on me when they force me to explain to them the technicalities of the IT work I'm doing for them lol :lookaround::ph34r: ...I really want to understand, but I don't.

Edit: I listened to the coats last night for the first time and was blown away by the variety and the sounds that I've never heard before. Especially the split parts from the contras. Their low brass just blew me away. I can't wait to hear them in Indy.

Edited by Medeabrass

Even though they tacked on the 2009 closing statement, it's really the 2008 show - the search for the perfect ending. :lookaround:

Even though they tacked on the 2009 closing statement, it's really the 2008 show - the search for the perfect ending. :lookaround:

hahaha, I didn't even think about 2008! Nice analogy

Bingo. I think looking to drum corps to hear the finest in music composition and performance is like going to Qdoba to enjoy the finest in cuisine. It's still good, but a different kind of good.

:lookaround:

So the new ending is the same ending they've done for 3 years in a row now? Clever...

Okay....I was at West Chester last night...here's my two cents...and that is that the ending really makes no sense...at least to me.

They reprise the Mahler stuff, some rewind noise plays, and then run back and play it again, and then all of a sudden BOOM is the end of the 2009 show....EXACTLY THE SAME. Same music, same note, same ultra sub bass from the bowels of the earth, same ending vis, same everything.

Was it played well? Yes. Was it marched well? Yes. Was it loud? Yes.

Did it make any sense whatsoever? Not to me (Although I honestly and truly would like to hear the thinking from a design perspective)

Did I witness most people in the audience look at each other and go :lookaround: More than a few.

It just seems so tacked on to the end for no reason. It's a shame because they sound so great, but the audience was sitting on their hands in confusion.

Take note DCP grumps. This is how you write your opinion out without being a jerk.