Carolina Crown New Ending?

After watching it on the Allentown APD, I find that I don't care for this ending. I don't like that they took the ending from last year and stuck it onto this year. It's completely disjointed. They should have left it alone. I didn't get the theme last year, either, but the show was still awesome.

But I love the show up until that part. I do wish they moved more and danced less, but I'll take what they gave me because of that great sound!

Last year's theme was SO easy to understand. The main character wishes for a better life, thinking it's always greener on the other side. However, when he gets over to the other side, he quickly realizes he was wrong. Things start out great at first ("Puck") but quickly descend into chaos ("Sensemaya"). In "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"/"Somewhere" he finds himself longing for his old life again. Then, during the closer, he realizes he has to do whatever it takes to get back to his old life and leave this new one behind ... even knowing he has to leave "Tink" behind too ... because his old life was great as it was. It took him trying to live on the other side to realize that.

I don't see how people can say they can't understand last year's story. Maybe it's just my film school training that helps me understand stories better. Who knows.

EDIT:

Add me in on the evidentially small group of people who love this new ending. My only problem with it is that I think they need to work the transition into "Promise of Living" more to make it a little less abrupt. But, I think this does fit in perfectly. Then again, that ending is one of my favorite endings of all time (up there with Cadets 2005, Vanguard 2009, Star 1993, Crown 2008 and Phantom 2008) and is the ending of my favorite drum corps show of all time. Maybe I'm just excited to hear this amazing ending live twice more (because I'll be in the lot during Quarters).

Edited by CMFC4Ever

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to a members Blog, The Closer is not changing, so I guess Those that hate it are still going to hate it, and the people that like it are still going to like it,

I was happy when they brought back promise of living.... but as i stated earlier in this topic, I would be happy if they were in a company front playing b-flat chords as loud as humanly possible,

it's crap. a lame attempt at really pushing the "second chance" theme bc the rest of the show doesnt.

The "rewind" thing is hardly new...sort of a takeoff from the record skip VK used way back in 1983. The music is pleasant and all, but I don't see a corresponding "wow" factor to the changes.

The "rewind" thing is hardly new...sort of a takeoff from the record skip VK used way back in 1983. The music is pleasant and all, but I don't see a corresponding "wow" factor to the changes.

Well heres the thing. I don't think its supposed to have a "wow" factor as much as it has an "a ha!" factor.

What would you have them do to make it better.

Go back in time to September of last year and start with a new show.

While vicious, this is what would actually need to be done to make the show better. I feel that the entire effort wasn't great. I'm not really sure what the whole point of it is, and the new ending doesn't help me.

When I saw them early in the summer it was pretty clear they were farther along in the performance process at that point in the season than they had been in previous years. So, it's safe to assume they are probably more talented than in previous years. However, the package that those performers were given was a little thin. So, what you get now is a great bunch of kids performing a show that doesn't rise to meet that level of talent.

I have a friend who calls it a "lost year." Where decisions made by the staff derailed the year even before the first chart of drill or measure of music was written. There are many examples of these throughout the history of drum corps.

Well according to a members Blog, The Closer is not changing, so I guess Those that hate it are still going to hate it, and the people that like it are still going to like it,

I was happy when they brought back promise of living.... but as i stated earlier in this topic, I would be happy if they were in a company front playing b-flat chords as loud as humanly possible,

According to Eric Sabach earlier in this very thread ...

ye of little faith... just wait until semis. :lookaround:
Edited by CMFC4Ever

Go back in time to September of last year and start with a new show.

While vicious, this is what would actually need to be done to make the show better. I feel that the entire effort wasn't great. I'm not really sure what the whole point of it is, and the new ending doesn't help me.

When I saw them early in the summer it was pretty clear they were farther along in the performance process at that point in the season than they had been in previous years. So, it's safe to assume they are probably more talented than in previous years. However, the package that those performers were given was a little thin. So, what you get now is a great bunch of kids performing a show that doesn't rise to meet that level of talent.

I have a friend who calls it a "lost year." Where decisions made by the staff derailed the year even before the first chart of drill or measure of music was written. There are many examples of these throughout the history of drum corps.

Since when is finishing in the top 5 counted as "Bad Decisions"

This topic is absolutely hilarious.

Are there seriously people who are not entertained by this show? Do you not have ears?

Edited by Hrothgar15

I don't see how people can say they can't understand last year's story. Maybe it's just my film school training that helps me understand stories better. Who knows.

Thank you for the explanation. Having watched the show from up high in the stands and from the high-cam view, my eyes were never focused on any particular character, except maybe the guy that was thrown, and the girl they stripped on the middle of the field to reveal a green outfit and she started to conduct the corps for the end of a song. There was a guard member wandering around at the beginning of the show, who I take to be the main character you were talking about, but he had a similar outfit compared to the other male guard members, and I didn't pay attention to him.

I guess I was too busy watching the whole corps to try and make a story out of it. I saw it as an awesome show, with a little bit of solo/duet guard dancing interspersed within, which was more than enough for me.

But thank you! I can go and watch the show and get a new appreciation for it. Kind of funny and weird for me that I totally missed the story on this one. I usually do better in these kinds of things.

Edited by jaylogan

The new ending is fabulous! The old ending was fabulous!

Crown's approach is special. I can imagine seeing them live must be an all encompassing experience. Not only listening and watching, but becoming the music.