Carolina Crown New Ending?

Go back in time to September of last year and start with a new show.

While vicious, this is what would actually need to be done to make the show better. I feel that the entire effort wasn't great. I'm not really sure what the whole point of it is, and the new ending doesn't help me.

When I saw them early in the summer it was pretty clear they were farther along in the performance process at that point in the season than they had been in previous years. So, it's safe to assume they are probably more talented than in previous years. However, the package that those performers were given was a little thin. So, what you get now is a great bunch of kids performing a show that doesn't rise to meet that level of talent.

I have a friend who calls it a "lost year." Where decisions made by the staff derailed the year even before the first chart of drill or measure of music was written. There are many examples of these throughout the history of drum corps.

That's it. Design teams' infatuation with having to display a theme or story set to background music has left fans without the ability to be entertained by a musical and visual performance.

The theme is a second layer on top, to tie it all together. It is in no way necessary to understand or even realize in order to be entertained by the program as was intended.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new ending isn't more effective. In fact, I would say it's less effective. It seems unrelated to what came before it and doesn't complete the concept, which isn't very strong to begin with. I hope that the design staff takes this summer as a learning experience and produce something better next year.

jerryseinfeldaadc7.gif

I like the new ending, ive said it before. However, i wonder if it couldve been more effective if little parts of last year's show were peeking through throughout the show, and finally break through at the end.

Thank you for the explanation. Having watched the show from up high in the stands and from the high-cam view, my eyes were never focused on any particular character, except maybe the guy that was thrown, and the girl they stripped on the middle of the field to reveal a green outfit and she started to conduct the corps for the end of a song. There was a guard member wandering around at the beginning of the show, who I take to be the main character you were talking about, but he had the same outfit on as the other male guard members, and I didn't pay attention to him.

I guess I was too busy watching the whole corps to try and make a story out of it. I saw it as an awesome show, with a little bit of solo/duet guard dancing interspersed within, which was more than enough for me.

But thank you! I can go and watch the show and get a new appreciation for it. Kind of funny and weird for me that I totally missed the story on this one. I usually do better in these kinds of things.

Glad I could help! But, yeah ... the "guard member running around" (aka Joey) was the main character of the show. "Tink" (aka Deanna), in my mind, kind of became a love interest for his character -- the only good thing about the new life. At least that's how I took it.

So here's how I'm taking this year, so far. I haven't been able to see the guard work as most of what I've seen are FanNetwork videos and Atlanta is the only multi-cam of Crown so far, but I look at it as if Carrie is having to make a choice between two romantic interests ... Herbert or Phillip. I'll have a better handle on the story after I see it live for the first time (since the preview show at Gardner Webb) at Semi's and again at Finals.

I like the new ending, ive said it before. However, i wonder if it couldve been more effective if little parts of last year's show were peeking through throughout the show, and finally break through at the end.

I REALLY like your thinking here. If there's a way they can still pull this off, I really hope this is what Eric is hinting at for Semi's.

Edited by CMFC4Ever

So here's how I'm taking this year, so far. I haven't been able to see the guard work as most of what I've seen are FanNetwork videos and Atlanta is the only multi-cam of Crown so far, but I look at it as if Carrie is having to make a choice between two romantic interests ... Herbert or Phillip. I'll have a better handle on the story after I see it live for the first time (since the preview show at Gardner Webb) at Semi's and again at Finals.

And I got absolutely none of that from this show either! Thanks! I need to have you explain all of Crown's shows for the future. :lookaround:

I'll look for that at Semi's and Finals in Indy.

Don't let the name fool you,

What name would that be? And how did it supposedly fool me?

and next time you want to quote me, use the whole quote.

I quote the notions to which I respond, as those are the only things relevant to my reply.

That's it. Design teams' infatuation with having to display a theme or story set to background music has left fans without the ability to be entertained by a musical and visual performance.

The theme is a second layer on top, to tie it all together. It is in no way necessary to understand or even realize in order to be entertained by the program as was intended.

Exactly.

It is just laughable that some people would discount the entire design of a drum corps show and the entire performance of 150 people just because some silly "theme" did not work for them. You are basically saying you don't like the title of the show, because if the theme is not clear to you, how would you even know what it is supposed to be if not for the title? It's like not liking you favorite flavor of ice cream because they named it wrong.

And I got absolutely none of that from this show either! Thanks! I need to have you explain all of Crown's shows for the future. :lookaround:

I'll look for that at Semi's and Finals in Indy.

Will you really enjoy the show that much more now knowing what is supposed to be going on? Really?

Will you really enjoy the show that much more now knowing what is supposed to be going on? Really?

I will enjoy the show at least as much as I did before, with a substantial possibility to enjoy it even more. Is that OK? I really want for it to be OK. :lookaround: