Carolina Crown New Ending?

I will enjoy the show at least as much as I did before, with a substantial possibility to enjoy it even more. Is that OK? I really want for it to be OK. :lookaround:

If you really want to enjoy it more, maybe try looking for musical elements or layers you didn't catch the first time around. That should help even more distracting yourself over trying to find some sort of "story."

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them for the first time this season in Allentown, so I don't know whether this is "new" or whether it's been there all year - but what's the point of that fragment of "The Promise of Living" - other than it being from last year's program? Second chances notwithstanding, it sounds disjointed, out of place.

Ditto for "Conquest" in Boston's ending. Yeah, I know it's tradition, fan-friendly, all that. But it sounds like a real cut & paste job, a la Vanguard's 1982 Bottle Dance.

Respect to both corps, who are worthy competitors and who are out there giving it their all every night. But I'm not too sure about those endings...

peace,

Fred O.

If you really want to enjoy it more, maybe try looking for musical elements or layers you didn't catch the first time around. That should help even more distracting yourself over trying to find some sort of "story."

Thanks, but I already do that. I'd like to get as much as I can from a show, and it's good to know extra information. I know others here would rather ignore certain dimensions of a show, and I'm glad it works for them. I like to observe all aspects of what is put out there. If there's something I missed, I'm appreciative of the opportunity to learn about it and adjust my thinking.

Edited by jaylogan

I will enjoy the show at least as much as I did before, with a substantial possibility to enjoy it even more. Is that OK? I really want for it to be OK. :lookaround:

Yes, that is certainly okay. And yes, I probably enjoy shows more when I "get" what is happening regarding theme and concept. But as Hrothgar said, that is just icing on the cake. I just don't understand when people say the entire show "does not work" and is a "lost year" and things like that when theme is unclear. Anyone who watches Crown live this year and thinks..... "boy, what a lost year"... I seriously think needs to have their entertain-o-meter examined by a doctor. :lookaround:

I just don't understand when people say the entire show "does not work" and is a "lost year" and things like that when theme is unclear. Anyone who watches Crown live this year and thinks..... "boy, what a lost year"... I seriously think needs to have their entertain-o-meter examined by a doctor. :lookaround:

I agree. We may have our opinions about a show, but there has to be something in it that you like! I don't see how it is possible for any corps to have a "lost year". Especially this Crown show, with the great performance these guys and gal put out there. It is definitely *NOT* a lost year!

I agree. We may have our opinions about a show, but there has to be something in it that you like! I don't see how it is possible for any corps to have a "lost year". Especially this Crown show, with the great performance these guys and gal put out there. It is definitely *NOT* a lost year!

yep. still my favorite music of the year by a long shot. they perform the new ending very well, it just doesn't work for me. glad it works well for others.

go tell 130 kids marching the show that it's a lost year for them...

That's it. Design teams' infatuation with having to display a theme or story set to background music has left fans without the ability to be entertained by a musical and visual performance.

The theme is a second layer on top, to tie it all together. It is in no way necessary to understand or even realize in order to be entertained by the program as was intended.

You win the "Post of the Year" award and have won the internet.

What name would that be? And how did it supposedly fool me?

I quote the notions to which I respond, as those are the only things relevant to my reply.

NVM, just a Boston guard mom who is now a Crown guard mom who was trying to explain in my original post that we should appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into each of these shows. As I said before, the fact that the kids are excited to perform it for all of us, whether we value it or not, is what makes me excited to watch it and thus it is all relevant to me.

Enjoy the rest of the season.