Carolina Crown New Ending?

I don't really care for it, either . . .even though overall, it's one of my favorite books of the past few years. Right now, it just feels tacked on and really disrupts any sort of connection you might have made with the show over the past nine minutes.

Add that onto the fact that you need to be at least casually familiar with 2009 for the buy-in to fully work . . . and I think this may hurt Crown instead of help right now.

Don't get me wrong; on a purely fan level, it's kind of cool . . .but trying to look at it objectively as part of the entire show, it loses me.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not digging it either. I'm cool with the Mahler stuff they did in the new closer, but I agree with bawker - relying too much on last year's show to make this show end. Not to mention a lack of impact.

And to me that's a funny choice, assuming that "second chance" has the double meaning of "out for redemption to win the title this year" like most everyone assumes. I looked at scores from finals last year and had forgotten that Crown was MUCH MUCH closer to third than they were to first. Scores would dictate that they weren't exactly jobbed in 2009. In fact, had Cadets had a third place drumline (perhaps much more in character for Cadets than a seventh place drumline), Cadets would've finished second.

And to me that's a funny choice, assuming that "second chance" has the double meaning of "out for redemption to win the title this year" like most everyone assumes. I looked at scores from finals last year and had forgotten that Crown was MUCH MUCH closer to third than they were to first. Scores would dictate that they weren't exactly jobbed in 2009. In fact, had Cadets had a third place drumline (perhaps much more in character for Cadets than a seventh place drumline), Cadets would've finished second.

:Cough: Semis :Cough: :smile:

So many people on here have knocked Crown for not having a "good" ending this year. Now they've changed it, partly to make it more exciting and fun to watch and partly to portray the "second chance" better, but oh we still complain. I for one, know the corps members are excited to perform this new ending for the audience and are working hard on it. That in itself makes it more exciting for me to watch. I can't wait to see it in Indy!!!

I actually enjoy the new ending and I'm sure there a few more tweaks to come with it too. Get it Crown!!! See ya'll in Indy!!

Scores would dictate that they weren't exactly jobbed in 2009. In fact, had Cadets had a third place drumline (perhaps much more in character for Cadets than a seventh place drumline), Cadets would've finished second.

But they didn't

Hmm, after watching the (admittedly very tightly angled) video from Salem I'm not sure. I actually sort of like the rewind/redo idea, though I think it would be better if they did it more than once in the show, but I don't like tacking on last year's ending straight up. Eh, it's too hard to tell from the video available. I guess I'll see what I think next Thursday.

I agree that it seems too tacked on and forced. I have had this preconceived ideas (since hearing about the theme) that there would be a "rewind" for a "Second Chance" and a "simulated train wreck" in which (thanks to amps & syths) could hear someone say "Cut" and "Reset" then run back for another "Second Chance". I know armchair Program Designer.

I still hold out hope that things will come together over the next week.

so more boredom?

The great thing about the CROWN show is that it looks good no matter where your seat is. If you are up high you can see all those amazing formations moving across the field. But down low, where you can't appreciate the forms, you have all this great dancing, individual movement to entertain you.

ye of little faith... just wait until semis. :smile: