Fairfax, VA

To put things in context, I'm always comparing drum corps today to when I marched with Bluecoats in 1991. This was not a particularly impressive year for us, but at least we were top 12 (11th). This was also the year we saw Star of Indiana take it all in a special and emotional farewell to Zingali. Speed drill, body sculpting, and marching "outside the box" were all the rage. Madison Scouts were hot, Phantom & the Cavaliers had yet to win a title, Velvet Knights & Crossmen were competitive, Sky Ryders and Freelancers still existed, and the Blue Devils and Cadets placed 5th and 6th, respectively. Weird year. So I'm going to look at today's Fairfax performances against the old 20 year old corps, and make a judgement call on how today's corps would stack up. I'm a big fan of all the latest advancements - they just have to be done right.

SEATTLE CASCADES - I couldn't wait for the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps to finish up so we could see some real Drum Corps. If you want to see a relic, come to Washington DC for a summer. I swear, these guys are stuck in 1968. I liked the Cascades - they seemed a bit small (but way bigger than Marine Corps). The "weather" prediction in the show was a bit strange - folks were whispering if this was the real weather report. I think not, but we'd have to put the show on hold very soon. Overall - young group, with a show that's written to the talent level. BLUECOATS '91 would've crushed.

JERSEY SURF - Definitely a lot more crisp, but seemed smaller than Cascades. The new uniforms are really sharp. The brass sounded controlled and balanced. I don't remember much about the show, but it seemed well written - but not too challenging. Seems like they're on the way up. BLUECOATS '91 - would win 9 times out of 10.

### WEATHER BREAK ###

CROSSMEN - Much bigger and more precise. The first "full" corps of the night. I liked the show as I was watching it, but it seemed to lack any sort of "AHA" moment. Drill was a bit average (by today's standards). Pit seemed a bit too loud. I also don't understand why the battery feels the need to yell "DUT - DUT - DUT" during the quiet sections - seems very amateur. I think this is why I started making comparisons - Crossmen '91 played Metheny and here we are again. I think if the drill was tightened up a bit and a better ending was tacked on, this group would've taken the CROSSMEN '91 crew. BLUECOATS '91 still win in a head-to-head comparison (I'm biased with our old rival).

ACADEMY - Boy was I psyched to see these guys in person after getting blown away by their performance in the Open Class in '06. I was really looking forward to all the sick brass licks. While their performance was definitely a step-up from the Crossmen, some pitch problems prevailed and I heard a tendency to overblow the power chords. Not as controlled as I would've expected. I also thought to myself - these Bb instruments suck... they are so muted and stuffy sounding. BLUECOATS '91 looking dicey - I'd have to give ACADEMY the nod.

COLTS - Take that comment back - the Bb instruments don't suck. The COLTS blew me away with their balanced sound and technique. The opening hit was monster. Some really exposed brass moments came out amazing. Great sound. Great show. A big step up from Academy - clearly a top 12 show. This would be a top 8 show in '91 - clearly BLUECOATS '91 would've gotten the beat down.

GLASSMEN - Probably the only corps that has fielded shows that I've hated: The "Balloon" show (forget year) and the "Beethoven" show (forget year). Tonight, I was just excited to see another top 12 corps. The first 1/3 of the show was admittedly rough for me -- lots of exposed parts and some poor pitch problems. I'm not a guard expert, but this was the first time I noticed how good they were. The drill was impressive, and clearly the last 2/3 of the show really saved them. BLUECOATS '91 would'e gotten the beat down / but COLTS '10 should've had 'em.

BLUE STARS - Easily the crowd favorite. This was on a completely different level. I thought to myself (reading the program) that this reminder me of those '90s pretentious Blue Knights shows with Philip Glass and other <bizarre name that composer>. Incredible look, incredible music book, great drill - the full package (no gimmicks). I caught myself "wooting" after the drum feature, and that's not something I <ever> do. The houdini boxes seemed to have a big statement in the opening act, but lost all meaning by the closer - I'm not a GE guy, but there seems to be something missing. Why not hide some additional brass players until the end and beat BD at their own game? This would've been TOP 3 in '91 with some extra polish (giving Star a run for its money).

BLUE DEVILS - This looked like a NYC Production Company on the field. They're clearly in a different class. The swagger, the musicianship, the innovation - I could go on and on. There's actually too much to take in - so I really hope that in 5-10 years this will be recognized as one of the shows that moved the activity forward. I don't want to feel like a sucker if it's all smoke and mirrors (cough) - this show is actually confusion on the field. I could also see how this could easily be one of the top 10 classics of all time. Side note: I found it amusing to hear a baritone burp out loudly during one of the syncopated sections - deduct a full point in my book. ;-)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't wait for the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps to finish up so we could see some real Drum Corps. If you want to see a relic, come to Washington DC for a summer. I swear, these guys are stuck in 1968. I liked the Cascades - they seemed a bit small (but way bigger than Marine Corps).

I respect the fact that you didn't care for the Marine D&B. However, there may be some things that you might want to consider.It is miportant to keep in mind that they have a totally different mission statement than do DCI corps. DCI corps spend all year refining an 11 minute show that is evaluated by a judging panel. The Marine D&B's task if far more than that.What you saw on the field is maybe a quarter of the what they do (concerts, pat openers, ceremonies etc). Also, keep in mind that they are Marine musicians and the word Marine comes before the word musician. So in addition to performing, training takes place to ensure that their martial skills are kept sharp. Keep in mind that there are Marines out there that have been deployed to Iraq and Afganistan. They have a lot on their plate.

The point is that they are not a DCI (nor DCA) corps and don't pretend to be. So it would be fundamentally unfair to do so. It is their job to demonstrate all that is good and true about the Marine Corps while instilling patriotism and pride into ta vast and varying audience. This is far different that appealing to a small judging panel.

I write from the perspective of having marched both DCI and with the Marines. Trust me, I know the difference between the two. Hopefully, you understand a little better the difference as well.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

BTW- I wonder how my old DCI team would fare against your '91 Bluecoats.

I respect the fact that you didn't care for the Marine D&B. However, there may be some things that you might want to consider.It is miportant to keep in mind that they have a totally different mission statement than do DCI corps. DCI corps spend all year refining an 11 minute show that is evaluated by a judging panel. The Marine D&B's task if far more than that.What you saw on the field is maybe a quarter of the what they do (concerts, pat openers, ceremonies etc). Also, keep in mind that they are Marine musicians and the word Marine comes before the word musician. So in addition to performing, training takes place to ensure that their martial skills are kept sharp. Keep in mind that there are Marines out there that have been deployed to Iraq and Afganistan. They have a lot on their plate.

The point is that they are not a DCI (nor DCA) corps and don't pretend to be. So it would be fundamentally unfair to do so. It is their job to demonstrate all that is good and true about the Marine Corps while instilling patriotism and pride into ta vast and varying audience. This is far different that appealing to a small judging panel.

I write from the perspective of having marched both DCI and with the Marines. Trust me, I know the difference between the two. Hopefully, you understand a little better the difference as well.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

Oh I'm sure the 83-85 Cadets would have wiped the floor with the 91 Bluecoats, and I enjoyed the Bluecoats in 91, but they weren't at the 83-85 Cadets level yet as a corps.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

Very well said and Thank you for your service!

Tony

Edited by starmello

I'm sure the Cambria Cadets would kick thier butt.... :smile:

In their hey day, the Cambria Cadets were a VERY solid Class A/Div II/Open Class corps.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

I was waiting for someone to respond to that. It's one thing for the creative side of the acitivity (DCI/DCA) to evolve a little while maintaining their traditions (or what's left of them) and also while trying to sell tickets and keep their activities alive. It's another thing to think the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps needs to play along. They don't. I am glad they continue to perform in a style and manner appropriate to their calling. I wish I could see them. I don't care what their size or what type of show they march, to me they sound and look PROFESSIONAL in every aspect. Some awesome musicians, and what we typically see them perform is only a small portion of what they learn in the course of a year.

Last time I saw them was at the 2000 DCI World Championships. Loved it. Can't wait to see them again. In a stand still concert, there is NO BETTER sounding drum corps! Period!