Fairfax, VA

I was waiting for someone to respond to that. It's one thing for the creative side of the acitivity (DCI/DCA) to evolve a little while maintaining their traditions (or what's left of them) and also while trying to sell tickets and keep their activities alive. It's another thing to think the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps needs to play along. They don't. I am glad they continue to perform in a style and manner appropriate to their calling. I wish I could see them. I don't care what their size or what type of show they march, to me they sound and look PROFESSIONAL in every aspect. Some awesome musicians, and what we typically see them perform is only a small portion of what they learn in the course of a year.

Last time I saw them was at the 2000 DCI World Championships. Loved it. Can't wait to see them again. In a stand still concert, there is NO BETTER sounding drum corps! Period!

Hey Bluecoats Bottom Bass from 07 & 08 is playing 4th bass with the Marines. Jay's a great guy.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the fact that you didn't care for the Marine D&B. However, there may be some things that you might want to consider.It is miportant to keep in mind that they have a totally different mission statement than do DCI corps. DCI corps spend all year refining an 11 minute show that is evaluated by a judging panel. The Marine D&B's task if far more than that.What you saw on the field is maybe a quarter of the what they do (concerts, pat openers, ceremonies etc). Also, keep in mind that they are Marine musicians and the word Marine comes before the word musician. So in addition to performing, training takes place to ensure that their martial skills are kept sharp. Keep in mind that there are Marines out there that have been deployed to Iraq and Afganistan. They have a lot on their plate.

The point is that they are not a DCI (nor DCA) corps and don't pretend to be. So it would be fundamentally unfair to do so. It is their job to demonstrate all that is good and true about the Marine Corps while instilling patriotism and pride into ta vast and varying audience. This is far different that appealing to a small judging panel.

I write from the perspective of having marched both DCI and with the Marines. Trust me, I know the difference between the two. Hopefully, you understand a little better the difference as well.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

BTW- I wonder how my old DCI team would fare against your '91 Bluecoats.

:smile::thumbup::music::confused::whistle:

and thank you for your service

I'm not sure where this thread got all sideways with my USMC D&B comments. I'm well aware of the differences between DCI and the military. The USMC D&B corps is a job - they are paid musicians that travel the world as amassadors of U.S. culture. They never see a battlefield. I've easily seen them 30 times in my lifetime, and their show is always the same. There is no question of talent. They're amazing musicians. I'd really like to see them mix-it-up - play a new book, or add some new drill moves. Don't you think it would be cool if they commissioned some pieces from some well-know American arrangers? Jim Prime comes to mind... What about another Brass Theater? The greatest innovations in the U.S. are from miltiary - why not show it?

I've personally taken an oath to protect the Constitution of the U.S. - so believe me, I get it.

BTW - '83 Cadets would easily beat the '91 Coats - that's not even fair. Easily one of the most important DCI shows in our lifetime.

I respect the fact that you didn't care for the Marine D&B. However, there may be some things that you might want to consider.It is miportant to keep in mind that they have a totally different mission statement than do DCI corps. DCI corps spend all year refining an 11 minute show that is evaluated by a judging panel. The Marine D&B's task if far more than that.What you saw on the field is maybe a quarter of the what they do (concerts, pat openers, ceremonies etc). Also, keep in mind that they are Marine musicians and the word Marine comes before the word musician. So in addition to performing, training takes place to ensure that their martial skills are kept sharp. Keep in mind that there are Marines out there that have been deployed to Iraq and Afganistan. They have a lot on their plate.

The point is that they are not a DCI (nor DCA) corps and don't pretend to be. So it would be fundamentally unfair to do so. It is their job to demonstrate all that is good and true about the Marine Corps while instilling patriotism and pride into ta vast and varying audience. This is far different that appealing to a small judging panel.

I write from the perspective of having marched both DCI and with the Marines. Trust me, I know the difference between the two. Hopefully, you understand a little better the difference as well.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

Well said sergeant...I thought the OP had a great review and these comments almost seemed like they were made by someone else...a drum corp neophyte actually. I'm not usually this blatant in my criticisms, but what a stupid comment from the OP. You just totally missed the boat there buddy. Seriously, the tradition and military bearing is something I'm so glad they are hanging on to. We need this "relic" to stay as is so that we have an "in the flesh" reminder of where we came from. I for one think that DCI is privileged that the Marines would even think about performing at any of our shows especially one thats not finals night. Jim, your dci corps provided the very tools that every show since then has been constructed with. Breath-dah and Ooh-Rah to you serge.

Edited by Medeabrass

I'm not sure where this thread got all sideways with my USMC D&B comments. I'm well aware of the differences between DCI and the military. The USMC D&B corps is a job - they are paid musicians that travel the world as amassadors of U.S. culture. They never see a battlefield. I've easily seen them 30 times in my lifetime, and their show is always the same. There is no question of talent. They're amazing musicians. I'd really like to see them mix-it-up - play a new book, or add some new drill moves. Don't you think it would be cool if they commissioned some pieces from some well-know American arrangers? Jim Prime comes to mind... What about another Brass Theater? The greatest innovations in the U.S. are from miltiary - why not show it?

I agree with you that the design of the Marines' show is similar each year, in terms of placement of tunes, drill moves, and so forth.

But they've done some very cool original stuff in recent years, written by their music director Brian Dix, who, IMO, is as good an arranger for a marching music ensemble as anyone else in the business.

I certainly would consider the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps to be a "real drum corps."

I've personally taken an oath to protect the Constitution of the U.S. - so believe me, I get it.

BTW - '83 Cadets would easily beat the '91 Coats - that's not even fair. Easily one of the most important DCI shows in our lifetime.

outside of Stars and Stripes and the Marine Corps Hymn, they change stuff up every year.

and I know a few who ended up in battle.

sorry, but your attempt to save yourself only made it worse

I'm not sure where this thread got all sideways with my USMC D&B comments. I'm well aware of the differences between DCI and the military. The USMC D&B corps is a job - they are paid musicians that travel the world as amassadors of U.S. culture. They never see a battlefield.

For the record, The President's Own (not the D&B Corps) is purely ceremonial, and doesn't require its members to attend basic training of any kind. Most have advance degrees in music performance and are indeed professional musicians who choose to be a part of one of the finest wind ensembles in the world.

A lot of The Commandant's Own (AKA, the D&B Corps) is comprised of guys who aren't music majors with degrees of any kind. All of The Commandant's Own (the DB Corps) go through boot camp like any other marine and are trained as riflemen just like all other marines, and get paid according to their rank, just like any other Marine musician serving in a field band. The audition process is tougher, of course, and it's a very special unit.

As far as seeing the battlefield, that's true of the vast majority of all people serving in the Marine Corps in the past several decades outside of music ensembles.

I hope they never resemble most of what I see out of DCI.

With respect,

Jim Drass

SSgt USMC (ret)

The Marine Corps Drum Corps ROCKS!

You guys also have the best uniforms in ALL of drum corps!

They never see a battlefield.

While the unit itself is non-deployable, many of the members of the Marine D&B have been deployed, including my old roommate who was in the first Gulf War.

Edited by usmcontra

Thanks, Drass. :lookaround: I don't think this guy gets the day-to-day job that the D&B does. So much more to the unit than that field show. I would say we only performed it a few dozen times over a year. With nearly 400 gigs each year... What did we do for the other 364 gigs each year?

Duane LeBlanc

Phantom Regiment '90 - '92

USMC D&B '95 - '98

Band Director '02 - Present