DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

Hmm - I never heard that. And I am the guy who would make the call for our corps. Would very much like to get our horns fixed up, but no plans to change in the foreseeable future.

I guess everyone assumed that when you were selling off a large amount of G bugles a while back.

I figure if a 2 valve G Kanstul is good enough for the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps it should be good enough for ALL!!

Semper Fi!!! And amen to that! :satisfied:

Not any type of authority here - but the one Marine D&BC Contra that I've seen (in the Marketplace section of DCP) looked more like the first generation of 3 valve Kanstuls (circa 1991-ish), though with the 2+1 valve configuration. I don't remember seeing the removable bell as on the K-90, and the Kanstul horns had a relatively narrow main bow with an almost (IMHO) exaggerated flare on the bell.

The current Contras being used by the Commandants Own are the current 4/4 models minus the 3rd valve, built with a 2v1r combination using a U-Neck. I forget it's exact model number, and Kanstul's not advertising their bugles on the new site (or at least not at the time I'm writting this). It's Bb equivalent is the 201 Tuba, only difference is the main central tubing is longer to make it a G horn. Rather small piece of equipement, much smaller than a K-90 in general (a pea-shooter in comparison). But still a powerful horn in the hands of a skilled musician.

Edited by steamboat

and Kanstul's not advertising their bugles on the new site (or at least not at the time I'm writting this).

If your talking about just any G Bugle yes they are on Kanstul's site - http://www.kanstul.net/category.php?catego...;metaPage=Bugle

Now if your talking about the model the USMC uses then no they wouldn't be, if my memory serves me correct they are custom built ONLY for the USMC and no one else.

If your talking about just any G Bugle yes they are on Kanstul's site - http://www.kanstul.net/category.php?catego...;metaPage=Bugle

Now if your talking about the model the USMC uses then no they wouldn't be, if my memory serves me correct they are custom built ONLY for the USMC and no one else.

Yeah I believe I mentioned the words "or at least not at the time I'm writting this" in there somewhere. Last night this link was not working when I tried it. And the site www.kanstul.com doesn't have a link to their bugle list.

And again, The Commandant's Own using the 201 Contra Bass Bugle (now that I have a model number) minus the 3rd valve, built with a 2v1r combo. Obviously they're custom made. Put the two horns side by side they're very much the same with the exception of the valve set up.

• 4 months later...

Yeah I believe I mentioned the words "or at least not at the time I'm writting this" in there somewhere. Last night this link was not working when I tried it. And the site www.kanstul.com doesn't have a link to their bugle list.

And again, The Commandant's Own using the 201 Contra Bass Bugle (now that I have a model number) minus the 3rd valve, built with a 2v1r combo. Obviously they're custom made. Put the two horns side by side they're very much the same with the exception of the valve set up.

The U.S.M.C. two-valve Kanstul bugles have no model number. Under the corporate logo and the words Custom Classic is engraved THE COMMANDANT'S OWN. That's the only model number required.... They are made exclusively for The Marine Corps, replaced every five years.

And I play such an engraved THE COMMANDANT'S OWN baritone that was traded-in for the replacement cycle. Rich "voice", handsome horn.

Click on: http://www.trumpetguild.org/news/news06/458kanstulbugles.htm

Edited by Navillus WP

Selden Cadets Alumni, West Sayville Golden Eagles, Romeos, Brooklyn United, Brassmen Alumni, and Sunrisers Reunion Ensemble are still using Gs.

Sunrisers field corps recently switched to Bb although the last I heard from them was that their new equipment hadn't arrived so their kids were using their own horns.

There are also alumni corps that use G's.I think most of them(Bridgemen definately do) use G's. I love my 2 valve king and Kanstul Grande. :tongue:

The Skyliners Alumni are also using G Bugles now and forever... :devil: