DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

The NIAGARA MILITAIRES ALUMNI have a number of 2 valve "G" horns available for sale. Most voices including ALTOS and FRENCHIES Mix of KING-DEG KANSTUL

I am looking for a 2 valve G Contra. Shoot me an email and we ca talk

The newer Jupiter marching brass (Quantum) are light years ahead of their previous efforts. I had a chance to try one of their Quantum mellos and found is strikingly similar in design to the current Yamaha 204. The 204 would still be my choice, but more out of familiarity then any issues with the Quantum. The Quantum was a fine mello and I would rate it superior to the current King and Kanstul designs. Personally I think Regiment still sounds like the Regiment we all know and love despite the Taiwanese built brass.

I think the development of the Quantum line by Jupiter points to one of the main advantages the Bb/F horns have over the G horns. Due to the amount of sales potential they are still under active development, particularly since the switch to concert pitch by the drum corps activity. For example since 2000 or so we have seen four mello designs from Yamaha, each markedly better then the previous. The Bb/F marching brass is getting better and the lines and arrangers are really getting a grip on their potential.

The G horns are stuck in time now, and I would guess that is what their enthusiasts like. The bright penetrating G horn sound defined 'drum corps' for a long time. And if that is the sound that a group wants then that is the way to go. But I wonder if enough lines will stay on the horns to make a business case for their continue manufacture let alone improvement. Personally I hope so for a variety of sounds makes the activity better. But given the competitive nature of the activity I think the majority will follow the winning units and with the majority of leading groups being on Bb/F the future of G horns doesn't seem to be as bright as their sound.

Michael, I agree with your points about G horns. the trade off between better slotting on B flat vs. better projection and brightness of G's, in my mind, favors G's outdoors as the more dynamic instrument. However, indoors/concert hall where projection is not as important, I feel that G characteristics are more of a burden to be overcome and less of a positive.

The Centurions are using 'G' horns with a mix of valve/rotor and 2 valve (and we LOVE them) We do have one or two three valve baritones. Any other 3 valve are personally owned.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights still use G Bugles...

How often do the Marines switch inventories??

The Commandant's Own switches-out all Kanstul brass on a five-year cycle. After five hard years of daily practice, transportation, performance, practice .... the horns have lots of small dings & scratches. Certainly not in keeping with the image of perfection the Corps wishes to convey.

• 3 months later...

Just checking in: Renegades and Statesmen are still using G bugles this season, correct? And their current plan is to stay with them? What happens when they need new horns?

Just checking in: Renegades and Statesmen are still using G bugles this season, correct? And their current plan is to stay with them? What happens when they need new horns?

Statesmen were using this last night and at practice today.

They replace horns on a piece by piece basis when they are available... many members own their own horns also.

Kilts are using G's and are dedicated to them. When replacements, upgrades, or addition instruments are needed..we purchase them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the Kilties are planning on sticking with Gs in the long term. We just bought a brand new set of Kanstul G horns over the last 2 years (sops and mellos 2 years ago, big horns last year). With proper care and maintenance, there is no reason that they shouldn't serve us well for many years.

EXCELSIOR will stay on G's