DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

The Hawthorne Cabs Alumni is all G Bugles. The entire contra line is playing Kanstul Grandes.

The Commandant's Own switches-out all Kanstul brass on a five-year cycle. After five hard years of daily practice, transportation, performance, practice .... the horns have lots of small dings & scratches. Certainly not in keeping with the image of perfection the Corps wishes to convey.

Hmmmm...do they sell the old inventory off or turn it in for "disposal?" I remember when the USAF Academy went 3-valves, I was able to get my hands on the 2 valve inventory with the help of Rocketman...they were probably going to be destroyed otherwise.

After we shut Nightfire down in 97, we gave the horns to the Burbank Black Knights drum line, who were thinking of adding horns. That didn't work, so they sold them off. Ironically, I bought one and played it in SoCal Dream's charter year.

Yep, the Renegades are in G except for me. Last year I used a an A piccolo trumpet and a Bb flugel and trumpet. This year my pic is in G, but I still have my trusty Wild Thing! :tongue:

lol hanging around Pero too much?

I would love to see more Competing Corps go back to G horns.

Sure there are many challenges for that to happen. Lower average age of a member means more high school students. Asking a high school student to learn two different keys is tough. Service and maintenance of G horns is tough today also.

Still, for those open class corps that have longevity on their side and are not worrying about selling off equipment to pay bills every year, G horns would be a great way to go. A full hornline using G horns is a force to be reckoned with. And since a G horn is less expensive compared to their B flat or F counterpart, they are a smaller investment upfront.

Dare to dream I guess.

Edited by irishbugle

And since a G horn is less expensive compared to their B flat or F counterpart, they are a smaller investment upfront.

I thought one of the first arguments for B flat was that they were cheaper than G horns, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that one of the major reasons Hop and company gave for wanting the change in the first place over in DCI?

But then, what do I know? I'm a drummer who still doesn't like 14" free-floaters that sound like formica countertops. :thumbdown:

I wish competing corps would go back to 15" drums that sound like snare drums.

I thought one of the first arguments for B flat was that they were cheaper than G horns, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that one of the major reasons Hop and company gave for wanting the change in the first place over in DCI?

But then, what do I know? I'm a drummer who still doesn't like 14" free-floaters that sound like formica countertops. :thumbdown:

That would make 15" heads more readily available for us too, John. They're getting tough to find. And we have a guy with connections with drum head mfrs!

I keep wondering how much certain folks receive as residuals from some brass mfrs?

Ray

TDRs for all!!

...and tennors and basses that sound like tennors and basses, not bongos and tennor drums.

TDRs for all!!

...and tennors and basses that sound like tennors and basses, not bongos and tennor drums.

There are 2 n's in tenor?

WOW Ya learn something new everyday..........

There are 2 n's in tenor?

WOW Ya learn something new everyday..........

C'mon ... he's a llama (with two l's) ...

:-)