Why the top four challengers shouldn't win

Same old bore.

2002 was incredible, don't get me wrong. But it was just maxed out Cavies and nothing more.

As far as your "92" marker, they were the same LONG before they titled with it. I remember 87 and 88 clearly, and it was very much the same product back then too...probably earlier still, but before then they were so bad nobody cared.

I wasn't going to chime in on this topic, but I find a ton of things wrong with these assessments.

1. Adolph was in charge when Cavies started to rise once again.

2. Cavies had many national titles prior to DCI ..and it took them many years to get back in the top 3 or 4, but once they did you couldn't get rid of them.

3. 85 - 5th place. 86 - 3rd (with a GREAT show). 87 - 3rd (EVEN BETTER SHOW and my personal fav of theirs). 88 - Firebird (down year? no .. strongest year in DCI history up until now). 89 was the beginning of the formula that won them a title in 92.

4. The "Formula" for the 2000's was not the same as the 90's.

5. Listen to 87 and tell me that wasn't a monster show and horn line. I wish they still played like that .. and with Adolph back at the helm ........ I'm sure they will soon (I'm already seeing signs of it).

omg did I just defend the Cavies?????????????????????? :thumbdown:

Edited by supersop

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't going to chime in on this topic, but I find a ton of things wrong with these assessments.

2. Cavies had many national titles prior to DCI ..and it took them many years to get back in the top 3 or 4, but once they did you couldn't get rid of them.

3. 85 - 5th place. 86 - 3rd (with a GREAT show). 87 - 3rd (EVEN BETTER SHOW and my personal fav of theirs). 88 - Firebird (down year? no .. strongest year in DCI history up until now). 89 was the beginning of the formula that won them a title in 92.

5. Listen to 87 and tell me that wasn't a monster show and horn line. I wish they still played like that .. and with Adolph back at the helm ........ I'm sure they will soon (I'm already seeing signs of it).

omg did I just defend the Cavies?????????????????????? :thumbdown:

Thank you.

Since we've heard so much about why (in great detail) the Blue Devils "deserve" to lose, and/or why some other corps will righteously take the title away from them (remember 08! and so on), I'll just go ahead and bluntly say why I think that NONE of these groups deserves the title over BD this year.

Cadets are too CHEESY. Have been for years, save perhaps for last year (overbearing pit notwithstanding). But basically they used to be much more deep and thus deserving imho.

Bluecoats, well, now that I think of it I'll have to give them a pass. They're cool. If they win, I'm okay with it (I don't think they will).

Cavies are bland and repetitive, you could impose one years' music on another years' drill and it would be pretty much the same thing. In other words, consistently BORING imho.

Crown is a COPY-CAT with nothing new to offer, that's what happens when you hire staff from the past. In their case, staff from the past, hired from the past. So they're a shadow of a shadow. Something like Garfield, something like Star, nothing new or different imho.

So that's why I think Blue Devils (or, as it occurs to me just when I wrote this, Bluecoats lol) DESERVE the title as an original, innovative, and amazing corps.

Nothing in this is any worse than what pages and pages of posts have been devoted to saying about BD.

But no reason to stoop to that level. It's kind of gross.

"If you can't (or wouldn't) say your post directly to the kids on the field, then shut the #### up!"

You know, if everyone on DCP would adopt your approach, this would be a LOT friendlier place.

(And I could spend my $$$ on Corps videos instead blood pressure medicine. :thumbdown: )

Kudos!!!!

I have the feeling that if you cracked out the time machine and dropped the top three corps from 88 into 08 finals that there would be mass injuries in the stands from people throwing short people because babies just didn't cut it. :thumbdown:

Since we've heard so much about why (in great detail) the Blue Devils "deserve" to lose, and/or why some other corps will righteously take the title away from them (remember 08! and so on), I'll just go ahead and bluntly say why I think that NONE of these groups deserves the title over BD this year.

Cadets are too CHEESY. Have been for years, save perhaps for last year (overbearing pit notwithstanding). But basically they used to be much more deep and thus deserving imho.

Bluecoats, well, now that I think of it I'll have to give them a pass. They're cool. If they win, I'm okay with it (I don't think they will).

Cavies are bland and repetitive, you could impose one years' music on another years' drill and it would be pretty much the same thing. In other words, consistently BORING imho.

Crown is a COPY-CAT with nothing new to offer, that's what happens when you hire staff from the past. In their case, staff from the past, hired from the past. So they're a shadow of a shadow. Something like Garfield, something like Star, nothing new or different imho.

So that's why I think Blue Devils (or, as it occurs to me just when I wrote this, Bluecoats lol) DESERVE the title as an original, innovative, and amazing corps.

on BC yeah I agree

on CC yes I concur

on BDs #### no

on Cavies, michael gaines is a BEAST of a drill writer and not really, you can't really overlap music, they've gotten alot louder so I think they desearve to win, them and BC atleast.

If the Blue Devils win it's because they beat out 4 amazing drum corps. That is how you want to look at it, and, in reality, that's the way it IS!!

Talking down corps in order to put yours on top is cheap and meaningless.

We can be critical in an appropriate way when we review shows, so I have no problem with that; but using those critiques to harshly jab at your competitors is not the way to view this. After all, if the next 4 corps are not all that good, then just how good did BD have to be in order to beat them?

I remember hearing some folks give me a similar argument when the Bluecoats took 4th in 2006. We were all proud of them, yet some fans were saying things like "Yea, and we beat the Cadets, who sucked." It was comments like this that put me in shock. Do you want your final ranking to mean something? We only beat the Cadets by a tenth, yet somehow they stunk and we were so good. WOW! It just made the top 5 look bad and it made our status look as though an asterisk needed to be placed next to the corps' finish. "Yes, we took 4th, but the top 5 all stunk, so we just managed to stink a little better than the Cadets."

You want to beat the best, and whether you do or don't you need to acknowledge the best around you. This is why the top 12 has great status!

Edited by jwillis35

Can't the mod just close this #### thing! It doesn't reflect true BD fan mentality at all. Just a bunch of troll bait! Please close!!!