Allentown, PA. First night

Another prefect Friday night in Allentown. Seems like Fridays are usually the cooler night, with great humidity. This year, so far, is no exception.

Got some sad news as we arrived and gathered as we found out two of our "group" are no longer with us.....Made for a rather sad evening.

This venue is just an awesome place to watch drum corps. Although its been re-modeled, its still rich in history, tradition, and warmth. One only has to look at the landscape in the back, or the trucks and busses riding by, or look to the right to see who is coming on next to feel like you are visint with an old, long time friend. Corps come and go, style change but the constant is the city, the stadium, and the friends.

On first were the Pioneer. The show is heavy on the "preachy" side....literally. Nice brass opening hit, although the soloists had some trouble. Not digging the choir robes and definetly not liking the vocals.

And, itgot worse as a giant sheath of "praying hands" enveloped the coprs at the end. I got the message, its not a bad message, but theres a palce for it, I dont wanna hear it in a drum corps show.

Are-you kidding-me ? O-meter a small 4. While distracting and hokey, the message is believeable from them and I found them entertaining.

Cascades were next.....Glad to see them back, not so glad to have to listen to them. Why oh why is the pit carrying the show ?? Overbearing and too loud, at all times...and please, please, please...the radio broadcasts are now predictable and ridiculous. All I can recall is over the rainbow, and over the rainbow, oh..and over the rainbow. The drill is forgettable, the concept is bland and again, too much overbearing noise form the pit...

Are - you kidding - me ? O-meter?? full blown 8 on this one.....I mean, the use for Synths and electronics and an overbearing pit, are you kidding me ?

Spirit next. Love it. A full corps with a full sound. Mature and confident. Well designed forms with simple yet effective transitions. Guard is effective, theme is obvious, not too overbearing. I actually, believe this...., LIKE the "Forgiing" and "Icon" vocals...if it has to be in there, its the right amount. Music is recognizable and the charts are well written. Some nice percussion moments and the staging is good. They come across as mocuh more confident and a tad more sophisticated, as a whole unit, than last year.

Not really liking the lunging of the delta wrapped in foil, but that just a minor, design issue, and a matter of taste.

Are - you kidding - me ? O-meter ? A heft 8 for the scoring the judges are giving them....an 80 ?? Are you kidding me ??

In came the Troopers. A nice field presence, some subtle opening sounds from Bon-jovi. Then the usual Trooper melodies. Some unique field coverage and the guard uses an "upated" version of the crossed swords, on the flags.

I think I liked this show a bit better on the fan network as they seemed more bolder and pronounced. Nothing really captured my attention or engaged me, it just seemed like an average drum corps show. Did catch the updated version of a "suicide" to the right of the field

Are - you kidding - me ? O-meter a full 10 !! No Sunburst, are you kidding me ???

Next on were the Colts. Well, it was bound to happem. After prasing them year, after year, after year, after year....This show left me cold. They didnt seem like the Colts with their always outstanding opener full of suspense and fanfare. It seemed like another boring drum corps, in search of an identity doing things for no real reason but to do them and not much payoff in the process. Lime green accents on the corps are distracting and the guard is not very memorable. Ugh, a cheezy - third rate "jeffrey" type characther being obnoxious, like a gnat, and totally laughable.

"True colors" was terrible. Probably one of the worst arranged pop tunes ever done on the football field. liberties with the melody did nothing to enhance the song, the approach, the phrasing, the song was just ouch. I wanted more.

Again, another overbearing pit and why are there Keyboards in a drum corps show ?? Sorry, not working for me.

Are - you kidding - me ?? O-meter ? an 8. I have nothing positive to say about the Colts, are you kididng me ??

Academy - wow. Much, much better than on fan network and way better sounding than I expected. They have a beautiful, freah look on the field and deliver well known tunes with confidence adn exuberance. Playing with much maturity.

The colorguard is what gave this show the extra edge. In so many ways, actually having them in uniforms, not costumes. The debate over their opening uniform was silly after seeing it live. They were very respectfuland looke awesome. Used for full effect. The second set of uniforms were also great, the purple and Golds....the whole feel of the show reminded me somewhat of Morocco..Love the interaction of the guard with the corps. I paid wayyy too much attention to the guard but they were/are really good. Actually heard some "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd during the ending with the double flags. Outstanding show, good corps, Im glas I like them..I was afraid I wouldnt.

I dont see them making finals but I do see this show as a solid crowd pleaser and I hope they continue to be unique in their style of presentation and Visual.

Are - you kidding - me ? O-meter ?? a 9...for the way people whined over their uniforms here on DCP....someone said they paded the guys chests...umm, are you kidding me ???

INT presented another solid but somewhat predictable show....

are - you kidding - me ? O-meter: 10...We actually refer to INT as a real entity..are youkidding me ?? LOL

Glassmen were first on after the break. Another decent, solid corps with great field presence, great field coverage, good music, good drumming and a guard that has some nice ensemble moments. Alot of their show blends together and I only remember somce crosses on the field. Cant recall much else except they were pleasing, solid and colorful. Guard uniforms border on Fugly but NOTHING like their 1993 debacles.

I can see them making finals with this show but on the otherhad, they need a strong dose of GE and an intense week in Indy to keep that 12th spot.

Are - you kidding - me ?? O-meter ? 3 - just for the uniforms...nothing major.

Blue Stars. Wow. Humbled. Actual goose-bumps. Time flew by. Where do I start. First off, I apologize to the Blue Star honks fro claiming this is a top six show. It is, or I shoulld say, it can be. The fan network does not do this show justice in any way.

The mature ensemble sound is incredible, Brass is playing and projecting with layers of sounds, dynamics and great intonation. They have such an air of confidence about them, you see it only in the "big boys"..Blue Stars have (again) arrived in the big time.

The opening sounds and the guard opening work, WITHOUT hands is a spectacle unto itself, so pleasing and rewarding for the viewer. It makes you automatically like them and appreciate their efforts. THe entire guard book is phenomenal and very complimentary to the theme and the corps.

The boxes dont take away from the field coverage and they arenbt distracting, at all. THis shopw is hot.. On fore, hot. and I see them doing great things next wee. An overall pleasant surprise. They totally set the modd and sell the concept.. 100%

Are - you kidding - me ?? O-meter ? A 10 !! The Blue Stars are this good ? Really ? Are you kidding me ???

Carolina Crown. My fifth live viewing. Thanks to about three dozen views on the fan network, I know the show like the back of my hand. I dont know if I have enough superlatives to review this show. It is oneof my most favorite shows of all time. The field coverage is outstanding. A full, all-out drum corps dirll complete with arcs, swirls, boxes, tricks, company fronts, section interaction, blah blah...just dazzling.

The brass is so pretty, so lush and full sounding. The guard had an outstanding performance tonight. Flags were like mirrors.

The show moves along nicely but I do see the ballad as lasting alittle too long and you cant tend to lose some interest. Love the new ending where they rewind and start over with a different show, and shades of last year, complete with the "green guy" ..love the silks too.

Crown should be ahead of Cavaliers. Simple as that. They have a drill that is btter at highlighting their music, much more defined transitions. A great brass sound and ensemble sound and a much more versatile guard. I see this show higher.

Are - you kidding - me?? O-meter ?? Carolina Crown isnt in second and closer to BD ?? Are you kidding me ??

Cavaliers cane next. Whats so great about this show ? Its a shallow parody of the Glory" year Cavaliers, offering nothing new or very exciting compared to what Cavaliers have given us in the past.

First off the bat, this show is chcok full of nonsense from the pit.. Way too much silly Commands, silly sounds...."This is my rifle" in the beginning from a voice track ?? Why ?? You have 150 guys on the field.....absolutely ridiculous. "Mad world" as sung by a singer, on a voice track...again...so so silly. And then Wham, they hit you with that 1984-esque sounding brass. Ouch, those hits are not very clean.

You can tell the braintrust that created the untouchable Cavaliers is gone.....whats left are the understudies trying to caprute that Cavalier magic, but its not nearly as good as it once was. The drill is void of the Cavie polish, the head-scratching transitions, the out of nowhere, how did they do that patterns. Its actually messy and doesnt make sense in some areas. Staging is all over the place. Not very effective. The guard can spin, they have some great moments but they are so engrossed with trying to ram the "mad world" theme down our throats....We get it, you guys are crazy, its a mad world..ok, spin and toss please.

Not liking the other visulas the corps is using either, it comes across as desperation not inovation. Including the flags and the masks. Reminds me too much od 2002 Carolina Crown and their desperate attemot to sell the theme.

Overall, the show is not as bad as I may have described, just highliting some things, but on the flip side, they do have avehicle, when cleaned, will give the crowd what it wants. I dont see this as a top 2 show though.

Are-you kidding- me ?? O-meter ?? 8. C'mon with all these silly voices and sounds..are you kidding me ??

Final corps of the night were the Blue Devils. Everyone says you have to see this one in person to fully embrace it. Each time I read that I got a little annoyed, thinkg, why ?? Im not an average fan, Im not a newbie, I get drum corps, I know what to see and hear and look and listen for....I dont buy it. I was wrong. My God. What is this ?? How does one describe this ? Where so I start??

The mirrors on the field look excellent. They also blend well into the program so they are not distracting at all. They are professional looking. If you are gonna do it, this is the way to do it. The guard, once again, is just in a leauge all their own. The little things, the attention to detail, the variety in approach, the ensemble clarity...some sya they dont have a drill ?? Well, no in a sense, they dont, they have a much greater responsibility and demand in this show. Its astounding they do what they do and sell the mood of the show while covering the field and tossing and spinning what they do.

The visual prgram is just layered in exposure. Full of subtle transition, varying meters shared within the corps and eah section enhancing the other without being overbearing. Constantly selling the concept. Wow, this is a wild, exciting ride. The emotions that are being shared byt this corps are amazing.

Their presence on the field is just unmatched. The polish, showmanship and confidence just oozes out, it can be bottled and sold. It is totally legitimate to say they are indeed on another level from anyone else. The presentation and delivery of this show is simply awe inspiring.

Anyone that says there is no melody just want to bring them down, or are to stubborn to give it a legitimate chance. The show is chock full of credible melody, lots of melody. Some subtle and sophisticated, some in your face and aggressive. Each emotion being fully presented and delivered. The brass is other-worldly, playing with such intonation, such dynamics. Its almost too good to be true. There are true jazz elements in this show and the performers obviously love what they areplaying because the way they sell this concept is just unreal. You can feel the intensity when you should, they kow when to pull back and be subtle, "bring it" and slam it in your face, all the while performing all their other responsibilities.

The drill is just a joy to watch. There was no new ending tonight , however I did hear there were still some changes being made. I just dont see anybody catching this show. Wether its 1 point or 1 tenth of a point, Blue Devils should stay on top, based on the way things are right now.

A truly breathtaking show that delivers on all levels.

are - you kidding - me ?? O -meter ? 7. No reprise of Los Suertos, are you kidding me ??

A few random Thoughts. Whats with the keyboards on the football field ??? If anything can be described a silly and uncalled for, it is this. Explain to me why you have six, eight, maybe ten keyboards and musicians to play them but you have to bring out an electronic instrument to get your idea across ?? Just because you can ?? It makes no sense. The sounds shoulld be brass and percussion. The joy of drum corps is to take a song and transpose it for the brass and percussion to play it and sell it. Not to use crutches like pianos, keyboards, synthsizers...whats with the fake Bass ?? Its embarassing...Nobody needed it in the past, now this new sound is all the rage ?? A fake, manufactured sound ?? Its terrible and ultimately will come back to bit the activity in the (blank)

Well, I could go on, but I think it would best be dicussed as a new thread altogether.

G

Edited by Matt_S
religious content removed - MS

Thanks for sharing such a detailed review of the show. I liked your creative "Are you kidding me" meter.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Colts. I really enjoyed their show. The color accents were not distracting to me. In fact, the blue accents they used as horn covers added some unique interest for me. In fact, I was impressed by their ability to add/subtract colors with smooth transitions that didn't take away from what else was going on. I found their performance entertaining. I agree with the idea that the character wasn't necessary, but it seems like every show has 1 or more likely 2 characters doing nothing for the whole show.

The crowd (and I) fully support your thought that Carolina Crown should have been in second. I like a lot of the changes they've made since I last saw them in person in June, but the tag from last year is a little too far out of context for me. It doesn't blend with the rest of the show smoothly even though I get how it fits the theme.

I also agree that the Blue Devils have a lot of demand and the performers do what they do better than anyone else. I am on the side of not liking the show from an entertainment standpoint, but I appreciate the effort and performance level.

Thanks again for the review!

Terrific review, G.... except you weren't really clear as to whether you like the Blue Devils or not. :thumbdown:

Well done G! Nice and a different approach. Love the Are you kidding O meter!! :thumbdown:

Will you be there tonight?

Predictable review.

LOL - even more predictable response. Lets see you contribute and throw your thoughts out there for nameless "Evergreens"s to comment on. I have very thick skin, I can take it. I dont hide behind a screen name or nickname, anyone knows where to find me should they wanna shoot the drum corps breeze..... I enjoy the debate and engaging in conversation. Ive been doing these reviews for years and they are usually far from predictable.

G

Agree that Colts had a great show last night. I thought it was very effective and had them easily ahead of Glassmen - especially the brass.

I really don't get what's keeping G Men in 12th.

Enjoyed your review!