Spin Cycle - Revealed!

Hey Jon, the Cavaliers will be in Stillwater....I should be with them then too.....so, mabye if you show up............um....yeah...PM me...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the drill and music did not ?mesh?.  It?s as if the drill was written around the constraints of the musical score.
Which is how it should be!!!! Music first....drill second!!! Which is why Cavies have bored me to death since 2001.

I am right there with you. This is a MUSICAL activity, first and foremost.

well maybe it's time they start playing for the fans... instead of the score sheets. This drill first music second crap is boring... the amount of times I have listened to cavies on my cd's since 2000 I could prob. count on 1 hand

I absolutely agree with that too. I don't find Cavaliers boring, but there music sure is. I listen to my CDs all the time, and I hardly ever play anything from Cavaliers beyond 2000 (which, by the way -- I LOVE).

I am right there with you. This is a MUSICAL activity, first and foremost.

um, that's why I think SCV did broadway for so many years.....They have done a great job with Musicals.....

if you don't think that any of the Cavaliers shows have been musical, imo, you need to listen to them again. With their drill and playing that music, imo, no other corps would have been able to achieve the goal that they acheived.

oh well....to each it's own.

I felt the drill and music did not ?mesh?.  It?s as if the drill was written around the constraints of the musical score.
Which is how it should be!!!! Music first....drill second!!! Which is why Cavies have bored me to death since 2001.

With Phantom Regiment and many other corps, it's "Music first... Drill ignored!!!" ^_^

Sure it might be fun to listen to on the CD's (well, Phantom's early 90's stuff at least. I can't stand their 2002 program), but what the Cavaliers are doing is the total package, and the kind of show that brings me to contests to see them.

I can hear good music anywhere. Drill is what makes drum corps unique as an activity. Who's to say the drill shouldn't be first, since it is the defining characteristic of the activity?? :huh:

That's not to imply that the Cavaliers haven't had a great music program. Frameworks is the only show I listen to from last year. Four Corners was brilliant, with one of my favorite ballads ever. Niagara Falls might be my least favorite to listen to of their past championships (though the show is much better when experienced in full)

My point? To each their own. Let's use this thread as a great chance to hear more about the Cavaliers upcoming program. I know I thouroughly enjoyed reading that review. It was great! I don't know why every thread seems to bring the same few people out of the woodwork to bash the Cavaliers music program each and every time it's mentioned.... <_<

I do disagree with the Cavies being boring musically. I don't think their music is any more odd than what we've heard from Glassmen, SCV, and sometimes the Cadets, and Devils. These four are among my favorite corps. I get tired of hearing time worn pieces and it's nice that these groups bring new music to the field.

What my problem is with the Cavaliers, and the judges marks, is the feet. At 2001 finals, I focused (with binoculars) on the feet for the whole show. I saw way too much phashing and people being out of step to warrant those big visual performance marks. On the 2002 DVD, you can see phasing and people being out of step frequently, when it shouldn't happen at all. I just don't understand how such a basic element is so vastly ignored by the Cavaliers and the judges.

I'm not trying to rip on them, by any means, because what they do right is truly miraculous. However, in my eyes, you shouldn't win any visual caption (or place high for that matter) if you cannot march in time and in step, pure and simple. Why the judges let this slide year after year, I'll never know.

Edited by gellio

well maybe it's time they start playing for the fans... instead of the score sheets. This drill first music second crap is boring... the amount of times I have listened to cavies on my cd's since 2000 I could prob. count on 1 hand

This is so wrong, incredibly chidlish, and extremely irresponsible. I know for a fact, from the mouths of many staff that hey do NOT write their drill first then create music to accompany it.

To say that is nothing but a lie, and disrespectful tot he kids that march their tails off in that organization.

I am no hige fan of the 2002 show, nut I am a huge fan of the 2000 and 2001 shows...highly pleasing to both the eyes AND the ears. If you cant hum "Niagra falls" or "Four Corners" it is because you dont want to....and please, get your fact straight regarding how Cavaliers write their shows before blabbing lies......

~G~