Don't get ripped off for your tickets in Indy

INSIDETHEFORTY

As an "Expert" in the buying and selling of tickets, I offer this word of warning. Do not get ripped off by the local ticket scalpers in Indy during Finals Week! This is what happened last year in Indy:

Many fans who had extra tickets tried to sell them on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Most of those fans were confronted by the local ticket scalpers on the streets near the Hotels and near the Stadium. Many of those fans were offered only 10%-40% of the face value of their tickets. Since those ticket scalpers were working together and using high-pressure tactics to get tickets, they got the tickets for 10%-40% of face value. The fans got ripped off!

A few fans were smart enough to hold on to their tickets, resisting the urge to sell on the spot. Some of them found me. I promptly paid them 50% to 70% of face value for their tickets. A much better deal!

Why do I do it? Because I am a Drum Corps fan also! I know how it feels to get ripped off by a scalper! I am out there to provide a much-needed service to other fans! I am not out there to rip drum corps fans off, like the local scalpers do! I pay a reasonable amount for excess tickets and make sure that other fans walk away with their dignity intact!

Also, selling your excess tickets BEFORE you get to Indy makes the situation on the streets a better one! Fewer fans on the streets means less congestion and a more orderly Championships area! It helps DCI! It is also good for me and for the rest of the fans!

Yours in Drum Corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Any ticket being resold was originally bought from the DCI Box Office, ergo DCI has already been helped. A second market can be very beneficial to somone who bought tickets and now can't attend, and would otherwise have to just eat the cost.

That said, if anyone is reading this thread, then they should also read the DCP Marketplace forum. In my experience, most drum corps fans have been willing to buy at face value, and sell for less

Any ticket being resold was originally bought from the DCI Box Office, ergo DCI has already been helped. A second market can be very beneficial to somone who bought tickets and now can't attend, and would otherwise have to just eat the cost.

When I have found myself in that position, I do not consider that I am eating the cost. I consider it a donation to support the drum corps activity.

When Customer B purchases from anyone - me or a non-drum corps related scalper or Ron Gunn or DCI - only the person or organization selling the tickets is getting the benefit of the second transaction. If I am customer B, I want the corps to get the benefit of my ticket purchase.

If you really want to help DCI, buy your tickets at the Box Office.

When I have found myself in that position, I do not consider that I am eating the cost. I consider it a donation to support the drum corps activity.

When Customer B purchases from anyone - me or a non-drum corps related scalper or Ron Gunn or DCI - only the person or organization selling the tickets is getting the benefit of the second transaction. If I am customer B, I want the corps to get the benefit of my ticket purchase.

Yes, buy your tickets at the box office! .....if you want to sit in the endzone...but feel good about your donation to DCI.

If you however want good seats, you'll have to buy them from someone else selling theirs. I recently purchased 2 tickets in the coveted "black" Friends of DCI section and am ecstatic. At least I'll be in Indy to support DCI and corps at their souvie booths rather than sitting at home because I couldn't find adequate tickets.

Thanks Ron for your service....even though I didn't use you this year, I at least know I have that option available in the future.

Yes, buy your tickets at the box office! .....if you want to sit in the endzone...but feel good about your donation to DCI.

If you however want good seats, you'll have to buy them from someone else selling theirs. I recently purchased 2 tickets in the coveted "black" Friends of DCI section and am ecstatic. At least I'll be in Indy to support DCI and corps at their souvie booths rather than sitting at home because I couldn't find adequate tickets.

Thanks Ron for your service....even though I didn't use you this year, I at least know I have that option available in the future.

Few years ago, somebody offered me better seats at the show. Ron bought my old seats, ended up sitting next to Ron. He's a real fan guys.

If you really want to help DCI, buy 12 or more extra tickets to a show and give them to a youth organzation such as the Boys and Girls Club. Giving a group of boys and girls the means to enjoy a Drum Corps comeptition can be a very satisfying experience! The extra income helps the corps and having the youth in the stands helps the future of Drum Corps!

By the way, thank you very much to all of the fans who have given me tickets to the Open Class Semi-finals and Finals. Those tickets will find there way into the hands of youth in the Indianapolis area for the betterment of all drum corps and the lives of inner-city youth!

Yours in Drum Corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY