Top-5 Most Legendary Shows are...

There was a link to this in the first article. Why are there 6 shows in that video though? GM's article in Halftime doesn't mention Phantom 82. Was it just so you could see how big of an impact Cadets 84 had?

Here is a second story, a multimedia piece, on the top five most influential performances of all time. Star 1993 is #1. Agree or disagree?

I would have to say agree.

http://bit.ly/dyu6ek

Oh yeah; from that Magazine article posted here awhile back. I kind of thought that list, like all "best of" type lists, are completely meaningless, but whatever: yea video about drum corps on CNN!! :tongue:

Here is a second story, a multimedia piece, on the top five most influential performances of all time. Star 1993 is #1. Agree or disagree?

I would have to say agree.

http://bit.ly/dyu6ek

Merged this with the original thread on the Halftime article

:tongue::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Also the 1989 show refined the program , the 1988 show originated the program.

and IMHO the most superior part of 1988 vs 1989 was the guard book , not horns , and 88 took high drums

Edited by fecontra

While I agree 83-4 Garfield should both be on there, my all-time pick of the best show ever written isn't on the top 6. The 1987 Garfield Cadets.

That show using one piece of music, incorporating dance as it did, and the sheer excellence of music and marching is (in terms of writing anyways) is the 100 % perfect show and I judge all others by it.

Ditto. I was told back in the day by knowledgeable guard people SCV's guard did them in in '88, and the guard was a lot better and the surrounding props seem to have got them over the top with the program in '89, and related better to the average fan, which isn't a bad thing. I know there's a few horn guys who prefer the '88 book by far.

The only thing that drives me nuts was the 4895908376 HS knock-off shows that lifted right off of this program and failed horribly in front of my face time and time again for several years.... :lookaround: It's one of the reasons why I can't really Top 5 this show- I don't think of SCV anymore, I think of a Band director who needs shot for attempting this book with three 7th grade Trombone players as his Low Brass section. :laughing:

AMEN TO THAT ONE!!! Some are still doing the show. (I I love Phantom of the Opera and all but)It is rather dated in 2010.

It is like the HS kids who tell me how wonderful the Phantom movie is. It doesn't compare to alive performance of it any day of the week.

At least that is my 2 pennies worth

I find it quite curious that the 1976 Blue Devils show was left off both lists. It was groundbreaking in many ways: longest musical number to date (Channel One), new direction visually (all curvilinear drill), and the first corps in history to sweep all captions. Unlike the current iteration, the corps was wildly popular at the time. I guess 35 years later, many of the people polled don't remember, or weren't around to experience those days. I guess it's no surprise that only three out of the seventeen mentions were corps prior to 1980, with one being the Kingsmen ("the first winner" seems an odd rationale for legend status, though they were a fine corps). I guess the 1975 Muchachos should have been the #1 choice...a true legend, as we don't (and won't) ever know what they did, or would have done.

David, I have seen that posted in 6-7 different places that 1986 was the first use of all curvilinear drill. I saw the Vanguard (only) in 1974 and started following corps seriously in 1975. Both Vanguard and Blue Devils used almost exclusively curvilinear drill. ikt was goint on well before 1976.

While I agree 83-4 Garfield should both be on there, my all-time pick of the best show ever written isn't on the top 6. The 1987 Garfield Cadets.

That show using one piece of music, incorporating dance as it did, and the sheer excellence of music and marching is (in terms of writing anyways) is the 100 % perfect show and I judge all others by it.

Amen to this! You nailed it. '87 was a breath-takingly perfect show. Santa Clara was able to pull off the same thing in '89.