Top-5 Most Legendary Shows are...

Honestly I feel like 75/88/95 Madison's shows are interchangeable in any sort of list. 75 for the ridiculous hornline and first midwestern championship; 88 for the comeback even though they were in Europe for part of the summer (plus there's that whole 'Malaguena' thing lol), and 95 for the ridiculous crowd response that will probably never be doubled.

Agree with all the rest too

I agree with this list for the most part. That Star 93' show was mythical and way ahead of its time. It may even still be to some degree today. I saw it live very early on in the season while they were still wearing the red, white and blue unis from the previous years. That was pretty odd to see that show in those unis. Especially before they had the whole show put together. But it evolved into the most listened to and memorable program for me in my 20 years of following DCI.

And Star leaving the activity immediately thereafter just added to the myth of it all. I remember seeing a guy wearing a Star tour jacket with the 93' patch on his arm a couple years later at a show and he was being mobbed like a rock star. Pretty funny stuff.

For those of you who ask why a show is not on either list, the answer is simple - Not enough of you answered the call. These lists are based on responses to Greg's request for people's opinions on what they consider the most legendary shows. I was one of the responders, although my choice didn't make either list.

Good point. A much bigger sample of fans responded to the DCI poll conducted a few years back and then after that list was selected, the top shows selected were shown in the theatres nationwide. From that showing, the fans nationwide selected the national fan's favorite of all time ( 89 SCV ) . I thought that poll was MUCH better as it gave us the shows to watch, then compare, and then vote.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree with this list for the most part. That Star 93' show was mythical and way ahead of its time. It may even still be to some degree today. I saw it live very early on in the season while they were still wearing the red, white and blue unis from the previous years. That was pretty odd to see that show in those unis. Especially before they had the whole show put together. But it evolved into the most listened to and memorable program for me in my 20 years of following DCI.

And Star leaving the activity immediately thereafter just added to the myth of it all. I remember seeing a guy wearing a Star tour jacket with the 93' patch on his arm a couple years later at a show and he was being mobbed like a rock star. Pretty funny stuff.

The most underrated performance in the history of the Drum Corps activity HAS be the 1993 DCI Champion Cadets that beat the Star of Indiana back to back... with 2 different judging panels.... in both the Semi Finals, AND the Finals in 1993( and deservedly so, in this poster's opinion. )

Edited by BRASSO

The most underrated performance in the history of the Drum Corps activity HAS be the 1993 DCI Champion Cadets that beat the Star of Indiana back to back... with 2 different judging panels.... in both the Semi Finals, AND the Finals in 1993( and deservedly so, in this poster's opinion. )

Well, the 93' Star show was also ahead of the judging at that time. It was so different I don't think most even knew exactly how to score it. I think if you put the two 93' shows out there today with the current sheets Star wins it running away. But that's just me.

Well, the 93' Star show was also ahead of the judging at that time. It was so different I don't think most even knew exactly how to score it. I think if you put the two 93' shows out there today with the current sheets Star wins it running away. But that's just me.

Ehhh...Star won a lot of captions. They won brass GE, won brass ensemble, tied brass total, and won percussion. You might be talking about the judges not quite knowing how to score their visuals...they indeed were 3rd in visual GE, but take a look at something a bit more objective that affects visual GE -- they got 4th in visual performance, 2nd in visual ensemble, and 2nd in guard.

The Cadets only won 2 scored captions -- they won percussion GE (and managed to win overall GE despite 2nds in brass and visual GE), and they won visual ensemble (and won overall visual, and won guard though didn't explicitly factor into the score).

This was posted last week. Yay for search button!

As for OT: those shows are legendary now, but not necessarily back in the day. I don't think Spartacus has quite yet reached Legendary status.

This was posted last week. Yay for search button!

As for OT: those shows are legendary now, but not necessarily back in the day. I don't think Spartacus has quite yet reached Legendary status.

The whole show, possibly not....the last minute or so?? HELL yeah!

I thought this topic was germane to another post.

That's a good point. The Cadets kicked serious A that year, and that performance (and the show design) deserve to be recognized as more than that show that beat Star.

I think the notion of a show being "ahead of the judging" says a lot about the historical specificity of judging. Saying Star '93 would deserve to win had it been performed today doesn't really prove it deserved to win in 1993.