Top-5 Most Legendary Shows are...

I tend to agree with this opinion....I'm not jumping up and down over Star either...I liked 91 Star and thought it was 1000x better EVEN though the last closing sets were a TAD dirty. The pure excitement of it...made up for the dirt...same idea of dirt with PR 2008 for that matter IMO. The excitement ruled the day for me and the dirtier visual did not matter!

did you realize that 1991 Star is the lowest scoring champion since 1983?

This top 5 list is a joke. I assume that the people who put this list together are all under 30 years old. Any list that doesn't include the 1976 Blue Devils isn't credible. This was the single most influential drum corps show in the history of the activity. It changed the activity for the better for many years.

1993 Star changed the activity too...just not for the better.

No, it's just that drum corps didn't truly become drum corps until the last 30 years or so. The 1976 Blue Devils show doesn't deserve to be on the list because it isn't real drum corps.

/sarcasm?

did you realize that 1991 Star is the lowest scoring champion since 1983?

Although this is technically correct, it does have to be qualified. 1983 was the last year of the old tear-down judging system. 1972-1983 and 1984-present are eras that have vastly different judging systems and thus comparison of scores should not take place between the two periods.

Although this is technically correct, it does have to be qualified. 1983 was the last year of the old tear-down judging system. 1972-1983 and 1984-present are eras that have vastly different judging systems and thus comparison of scores should not take place between the two periods.

Yes I understand that, which makes the fact that the 1991 Star championship show has the lowest total score for any champion since the change to the build up system even more telling.

From the article:

Although The Cadets of Bergen County defeated Star by one tenth of a point, it was widely agreed that Star had the better show overall.

“Odd isn’t it? Cadets won with a show called, ‘In the Spring, At the Time When Kings Go Off to War,’ but nobody ever talks about that show from 1993,” Barron says. “It’s always about Star’s ‘Medea’ show.”

I have to call baloney on both points here. Very Wikipedia of whomever to pull the old "it was widely agreed that....". Was it? I was there that night. I liked both shows a lot, but I don't think anyone can definitively say that Star was better. They were both great. Star certainly wasn't perfect, despite what many here would have you believe--go watch the tape, it's all there. I thought Cadets were as good, if not a little better. And I certainly am not alone in that opinion, and there on that night it was the same. Some thought Star got robbed, others thought it was a fair outcome. It was extremely close, as the score reflects.

As for no one talking about 93 Cadets, people do talk about that show all the time. It's one of the great "who should have won" debates in DCI history, right up there with 1988 and 1989. The show gets talked about on its own merits all the time, as well. The tenor break in that show might be the best ever, the brass ensemble near the end was gorgeous, and the drill was stupid hard.

From the article:

I have to call baloney on both points here. Very Wikipedia of whomever to pull the old "it was widely agreed that....". Was it? I was there that night. I liked both shows a lot, but I don't think anyone can definitively say that Star was better. They were both great. Star certainly wasn't perfect, despite what many here would have you believe--go watch the tape, it's all there. I thought Cadets were as good, if not a little better. And I certainly am not alone in that opinion, and there on that night it was the same. Some thought Star got robbed, others thought it was a fair outcome. It was extremely close, as the score reflects.

As for no one talking about 93 Cadets, people do talk about that show all the time. It's one of the great "who should have won" debates in DCI history, right up there with 1988 and 1989. The show gets talked about on its own merits all the time, as well. The tenor break in that show might be the best ever, the brass ensemble near the end was gorgeous, and the drill was stupid hard.

I agree, and I was there as well. I could have easily seen either show win that night, but felt Cadets had the better overall packaged and performed it equally as well. Loved all the little nuances in that show.

I have to call baloney on both points here. Very Wikipedia of whomever to pull the old "it was widely agreed that....".

In an otherwise decent article, I too was taken aback when I first read that part. I don't know what the breakdown was of who preferred what, but it's not the most professional to make such a statement without supporting facts of some kind.

Ehhh...Star won a lot of captions. They won brass GE, won brass ensemble, tied brass total, and won percussion. You might be talking about the judges not quite knowing how to score their visuals...they indeed were 3rd in visual GE, but take a look at something a bit more objective that affects visual GE -- they got 4th in visual performance, 2nd in visual ensemble, and 2nd in guard.

The Cadets only won 2 scored captions -- they won percussion GE (and managed to win overall GE despite 2nds in brass and visual GE), and they won visual ensemble (and won overall visual, and won guard though didn't explicitly factor into the score).

FYI - field vis scores for Star 1993: 9.8 semis, 9.3 finals

How do you lose a half point in one night, in one category at that time in the season?

Edited by WoobieATL

No 1980 Spirit of Atlanta = fail

Maximum FAIL This article is officially dead to me. Cancelling my subscription. J/K but still fail :tongue:

Edited by Perry S