Top-5 Most Legendary Shows are...

I guess I could agree with SCV '89 even though for all intents and purposes it was "SCV '88 = Take Two"

David, I have seen that posted in 6-7 different places that 1986 was the first use of all curvilinear drill. I saw the Vanguard (only) in 1974 and started following corps seriously in 1975. Both Vanguard and Blue Devils used almost exclusively curvilinear drill. ikt was goint on well before 1976.

Anaheim Kingsmen's 1974 drill was specifically designed to be curvilinear / non-linear, in part to deal with tics for alignment / cover, elbow contact, etc. As to whether it was exactly the first curvilinear show, I make no claim.

Edited by GuyW

Also the 1989 show refined the program , the 1988 show originated the program.

and IMHO the most superior part of 1988 vs 1989 was the guard book , not horns , and 88 took high drums

So did 1989. :thumbup:

Interesting that of the top 5, 3 of them were special for barely beating the Blue Devils, i.e., the Cadets, Phantom and Madison shows. So I find it intersting that the most successful corps is not mentioned among the top 5. Makes you think the activity sees BD not so much as the great champion that they are, but as a standard setter for other corps to evaluate themselves against and achieve greatness.

For that reason, I do not see how you can leave out 76 BD. That show changed the activity in many categories, e.g., Brass performance, Brass book, musical book, visual design, effect, and overall standards of excellence so much so that many poeple felt they were un beatable from 76 through 82 in which they won 5 in 7 years. In fact, I remember distinctly a friend saying to me in the Spring of 79, "isn't it interesting that everyone thinks the corps to beat this year is the Blue Devils and they didn't even win last year?" The truth is that since the mid 70's, every corps that rises to the top, does so by surpassing the Blue Devils in the game, making it their high point in the organizations history and rightfully so. The Cadets and Cavie corps were historical in their runs. But shouldnt the Blue Devils get credit for advancing the activity in this way, for influencing drum corps?

This top 5 list is a joke. I assume that the people who put this list together are all under 30 years old. Any list that doesn't include the 1976 Blue Devils isn't credible. This was the single most influential drum corps show in the history of the activity. It changed the activity for the better for many years.

1993 Star changed the activity too...just not for the better.

All of which is your opinion. I think the fact that Star '93 was voted by the masses to be the most legendary show of all time means it deserves to be there. Also, more proof is in the way the crowd (including myself) absolutely erupted with insane applause, and the most passionate standing O of the night when the Star Alumni Corps 2010 played Medea from the '93 show. That crowd was on fire with excitement and love for this corps.

And to say that it didn't change the activity for the better is even more so just your opinion. I feel that it did change it for the better and I'm sure a lot of other people would agree. Again, this is just our opinion.

As for what others have said about Cadets '93 deserving to win ... I'll say this. I love Cadets (2008 and 2010 being the exception) and 1993 is one of my favorite Cadets shows of all time, partly because I LOVE "In the Spring ... " but, in my opinion, Star had the better show that night. I just honestly feel like Star should have won that year because the show was better overall. It should've been close, no doubt, but I think the margin should've been the other way around.

While I agree 83-4 Garfield should both be on there, my all-time pick of the best show ever written isn't on the top 6. The 1987 Garfield Cadets.

That show using one piece of music, incorporating dance as it did, and the sheer excellence of music and marching is (in terms of writing anyways) is the 100 % perfect show and I judge all others by it.

Many of us, at that time, felt that 1987 Garfield was the quintessential DCI show when it came to integration of artistry and entertainment. Far beyond what they did in 1983 or 1983. But 1984 probably makes the list because it takes the 83 show up one notch and truly becomes the new standard bearer.

Also, a lot of folks are upset with the list and feel it's not a good representation. Remember, LEGENDARY can mean a lot of things, and I thought those guys at Halftime magazine made a HUGE mistake by asking the question the way they did. Sometimes legendary shows can be those that we discuss for decades because they were controversial (Star 1993), yet we likely don't want that show being used in a list such as this. Most of us DCI fans are thinking MOST ENTERTAINING shows, or BEST PERFORMED shows. And either of those categories would produce a completely different list.

It's just a poll. There will be more, and they will change.

• 5 months later...

Halftime Magazine (www.halftimemag.com).

07-2010-halftime-magazine-cover-THM.jpg

Here it is...the long-awaited, heartily argued story on the Top-5 Most Legendary DCI Shows of all time.

"What was the most legendary drum corps show ever to grace the football field? Did you jump out of your seat as you observed the most amazing drill move? Which performance held you captive as you listened to the most beautiful musical arrangement? Was there a show where you witnessed something that changed the activity in a way that still had you talking about it years later? Halftime Magazine asked drum corps directors, instructors and fans to give us their take on the most legendary shows in drum corps international history. Here are their collective picks and what made those shows so special."

"Trying to determine the most legendary shows in drum corps is no small task. Sure, there are the “fan favorites”—such as Carolina Crown’s “Triple Crown” in 2007 or The Blue Devils’ “Big, Bad and Blue” that featured “When a Man Loves a Woman” in 1992—that captured the emotions and tugged at the hearts of fans around the world. You could even consider every championship show a legendary performance dating back to the Anaheim Kingsmen’s program capturing the very first medal in 1972. But even runners-up and other finalists may have had standout presentations but simply been ahead of their time. To help figure out which shows made a lasting impact on the activity, Halftime Magazine asked drum corps directors, instructors, members, alumni and fans to help us rank the top five most legendary Drum Corps International performances of all time..."

Visit Halftime Magazine to see who made the Top-5 here: http://halftimemag.com/articles/07-2010/07...orps-shows.html

Also, check out which shows made the Top-12 "Honorable Mention" list here: http://halftimemag.com/articles/web-exclus...e-mentions.html

What do you think? Did your choices for most legendary drum corps shows make the list?

-GM

Like!